Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

BBQ recommendations?

N

Nighters

VIP Member
Hi all

Looking for a decent compact BBQ that I can fit nicely into the Cali. Any recommendations?

Cheers

Paul

P.s. I am currently at the Brighton Caravan Club site. There's a few Cali's/transporter converts here at the mo.

I have seen the Cobb on the website but not sure about it.

I bought a Cobb BBQ a few weeks ago and have used it a few times in the garden. I have done a small chicken and veg wrapped in foil and have cooked steak on the griddle plate. I am really pleased with it and seven briquettes lasted about two hours. It's well made, easy to clean and fits into a cylindrical bag which goes under the rear bed board in my Cali. Pricy but worth the money.

I'm looking forward to using it on our trip to the south of France next month.

steviej said:
I'm looking forward to using it on our trip to the south of France next month.

Steve, don't forget, quite a few campsites in the South of France only allow gas BBQ's

We found out the hard way, some only ban them when the weather is dry so might be worth contacting them before you go

Also the Cobb confuses the French as they don't seem to use them and possibly think it runs off electricity , so you may get away with it.

Have a good trrip :thumb

in that case I will connect a length of orange electrical cable to the cobb and poke it under my van :D

Ok I want to get a Cobb put a cable and go to France now so I can get one over on the French lol

There was a recent thread on this a week or so ago but I don't know how to attach the link. A variety of options were discussed.

I use camping gaz party grill with the cartridges
Others used cobbs, weber smokey joe, son of hibachi, disposables, cadacs, camping gaz party grill that attaches to your main bottle.....

never had any trouble using a cobb on campsites even in the south of france.

For all Cobb users, Home Bargains is currently selling (online and possibly in the shops) the Lokkii BBQ briques at a really low price of ÂŁ1.99 for 6 which is a fraction of the cost of the cobblestones. I tried one last night to cook sausages and it lit easily with a gas lighter and heated up in 15 min and then was hot for over 1.5 hrs. They are easy to dispose when cooked and create no ash. I haven't tried a whole chicken yet though. I don't think they get as hot as normal lumpwood or briquettes but were ok for cooking sausages. Recommended due to the cost and convenience. We are taking our cobb this half term to France and just hope the weather is decent enough.

Good spot! Placed an order. Curiously it's cheaper to buy six packets of six rather than one packet of 36. The 36 pack is store collection only. Postage is also a relative bargain at ÂŁ2.99

beardie said:
Good spot! Placed an order. Curiously it's cheaper to buy six packets of six rather than one packet of 36. The 36 pack is store collection only. Postage is also a relative bargain at ÂŁ2.99
Yeh I noticed that. I ordered 3 packs of 6 which I reckoned should do me for a while but after using them I am now wondering whether I should have purchased more because they come in a sealed plastic wrapper so will last ages. I just hope Home Bargains stock them every year. Let me know how you get on with them.

Calimark said:
beardie said:
Yeh I noticed that. I ordered 3 packs of 6 which I reckoned should do me for a while but after using them I am now wondering whether I should have purchased more because they come in a sealed plastic wrapper so will last ages. I just hope Home Bargains stock them every year. Let me know how you get on with them.
I be only had the Cobb for a couple of weeks and found the cob stones difficult to light even with a turboflame arc so hopefully these will be better. Given they were so cheap I ordered 5 lots of 6, still have 10 cobbstones left. For some reason my garage and loft are full of junk !!!! Of to see somebody about my hoarding.....

They light very easily with a turbo flame type gadget..before I discovered these lokki's I was going to eBay my Cobb as I have a large collection of bbqs which is a running joke with my family. The other thing we do with the Cobb when camping is use a meths burner with the cobb fry pan. Works a treat and quick to set up for brekky.

Not a BBQ but I bought a Sunn Camp outdoor cooker today; two rings and a grille, folds nearly, uses our spare 907 bottle.

Tried many different BBQ's (including the Cobb) over the years
While I must admit the Cobb is a great piece of kit, it does take up a significant amount of room and although its very versatile (I had all the attachments) it was always a pain to clean and using it purly as a BBQ it's not all that good (just can't beat real flames and smoke from the lump wood / briquettes
Finally it's not much good cooking for more than two in my opinion

What I have now as I've just sold the Cobb is a stainless folding BBQ which costs a fraction of the Cobb

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004UKVD98/?tag=eliteelect-21

In my opinion it's awesome, takes up very little room and always does a great job what ever I put on it

I've had it for 2 years now, used it many times and is holding up great , friends have also got one and say its the best portable BBQ thy have ever had

The box it comes in doesn't last long but fits in a pillow case perfectly

Back