Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

BBQ recommendations?

I posted on here a couple of years ago. Back then I was just about to try the Big Green Egg Mini. Well since then they launched the Big Green Egg MiniMax, a slightly bigger version, it's superb.

I now have a MiniMax and it lives in my Cali.

As with all Big Green Egg's it's just superb. Lighting to 180C is less than 15 minutes and your cooking over propped lumpwood charcoal with no nasty chemicals. Unlike the Cobb you can control the temperature, something that's super easy.

You can use it like a normal BBQ for grilling or:

1) add the ConvEGGtor to convert it into an oven
2) add a pan to use it as a hob (we do paella all the time)
3) add wood chips to turn it into a smoker
4) add the baking stone to cook proper wood fired pizzas and breads
5)...........

The Big Green Egg is used in over 35 Michelin starred restaurants in the UK alone it's that good. I'm sure no restaurant has ever used a Cobb or a Weber Go Anywhere.

It is expensive but it's streets ahead of any other BBQ.
Blimey £600 for a portable BBQ, yep that's pretty high end! (looks good tho).

No-one seems to have mentioned the gas version of the Cobb, which we have. It's a bit larger than the traditional version, but it heats immediately (essential for getting tired, hungry kids fed), cooks pizza brilliantly and quickly (same kids issue!), has useful pans/racks/griddles, and I've found that it cleans really easily - especially if left to soak while other dishes are washed. The gas canisters last pretty well and GoOutdoors are selling 6 for £20 at the moment. The only thing I think could be redesigned is the handle on the domed lid. If this was more easily removed the Cobb would be easier to pack. But it does all fit into a non-lidded 36L Really Useful box as it is.

I was bought a weber go anywhere for Christmas and have used it for the first couple of times recently.
Not sure what to make of it really, nice and easy to set up and get going but everything sticks to the grill and it's a real pain to clean the base where all the fat collects. Not sure if I can be bothered with it really, with my traditional charcoal bbq I leave it out overnight and then chuck the ash in the bin next morning, job done other than a quick clean of the grill part.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

I was bought a weber go anywhere for Christmas and have used it for the first couple of times recently.
Not sure what to make of it really, nice and easy to set up and get going but everything sticks to the grill and it's a real pain to clean the base where all the fat collects. Not sure if I can be bothered with it really, with my traditional charcoal bbq I leave it out overnight and then chuck the ash in the bin next morning, job done other than a quick clean of the grill part.

Sent from my Galaxy S6
Hi. The problem with the Weber Go Anywhere Gas BBQ is that in their infinite wisdom, :talktothehand they removed the Flavouriser Bar & turned it in to a griddle. I'm sticking with my Go Anywhere Charcoal version for now. If they bring back the flavouriser bar, then I would definitely buy one. This is why the fat is pooling at the bottom. It should land on the bar, get vapourised, then 'reflavour' the food above :thumb

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007PU4X7O/?tag=eliteelect-21

To clean your grates, crank it right up with the lid on. Take a decent BBQ wire brush, pour some water on it first, then go for it. Repeat a few times. Job done.
As you said, the base must be a nightmare to clean out.

Cheers

Last edited:
Cheers for the advice. Certainly seems a real shame about them ditching the flavouriser bar

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Another vote for the Weber go anywhere - we got the most recent version. Advantages as above. Fantastic quality and it stows beautifully in the boot!
Fantastic grill, can confirm. So portable. Sits in a standard box with firestarter cup inside it and some charcoal in a box as well.
Rectangular grill is very flexible allowing to grill with coals on the side giving an oven effect.

We found out the hard way, some only ban them when the weather is dry so might be worth contacting them before you go

Also the Cobb confuses the French as they don't seem to use them and possibly think it runs off electricity , so you may get away with it.

Have a good trrip :thumb

HAHAHA … thats great! Thanks for the tip!

Just got at COBB for birthday and afterwards figures out (from this forum) that it should have been a gas model. Thought about selling it and get the gas before we leave to France.

BUT now I just mount a electric wire to it, they will never figure that out :cool:

I have pretty new version that has a metal plate underneath which mostly prevents the fat dripping.

Is it possible to line the base with aluminium foil? If so, cleaning is easy.
Yeah my wife suggested that!
Should be possible though a bit of a squeeze with the gas bar running along the base but will give it a go next time.

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Hi, we've just bought the Weber Q1200. We were wondering...
Is it possible to run it off the 907 canister? If so, is it a Weber adapter that allows you to do this or do I need to get a different adapter?

Thanks
Cathy and Matt
Hi Cathy & Matt
I was wondering if you used the Weber q1200 ?does it fit in the boot space ?
do you have a cover for it?
Does it attached to the 907 gas.

I posted on here a couple of years ago. Back then I was just about to try the Big Green Egg Mini. Well since then they launched the Big Green Egg MiniMax, a slightly bigger version, it's superb.

I now have a MiniMax and it lives in my Cali.

As with all Big Green Egg's it's just superb. Lighting to 180C is less than 15 minutes and your cooking over propped lumpwood charcoal with no nasty chemicals. Unlike the Cobb you can control the temperature, something that's super easy.

You can use it like a normal BBQ for grilling or:

1) add the ConvEGGtor to convert it into an oven
2) add a pan to use it as a hob (we do paella all the time)
3) add wood chips to turn it into a smoker
4) add the baking stone to cook proper wood fired pizzas and breads
5)...........

The Big Green Egg is used in over 35 Michelin starred restaurants in the UK alone it's that good. I'm sure no restaurant has ever used a Cobb or a Weber Go Anywhere.

It is expensive but it's streets ahead of any other BBQ.
Resurrecting an old post - how did you find loading the Mini Max in/out & durability on the road?

I love my L BGE and would love its capability on the road.

Back