Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach: 3 Seater to 2 Seater conversion

Z

Zerax

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I've been following this amazing forum for some time... trying to specify my ideal Beach and honing my list of "Must haves", "Nice to haves" and "Can retrofit later".

For me, my ideal spec would be for a 2 Seater Beach, but looking around at those currently for sale... they appear to be rarer than hens teeth. I suspect this is due to dealers not specifying them when they order in Demo stock... however, regardless of this... my question to the many learned and knowledgeable members is;

Is it possible to convert a 3 seater to a 2 seater... what are the costs ? Ease of selling on the old parts ? Any other considerations ? Would conversion be foolish ?

I believe that the rails are the same and I've recently considered doing the opposite!!

I'm looking for a 3 seater but in desperation I phoned about one that had the 2 seat bench about a week ago but it was already sold.

I have considered it too, as far as I know the Beach has 4 rails regardless if you have 2 seat or 3. As long as you have 4 rails you should be fine..

The 2 seat beach uses a box and the Ocean seat/bed. Not sure on the multiflex board... I think as the 3 seat is a higher bed, that the multiflex may be different and lower.

vw-california-beach-10.jpg

vw-california-beach-6.jpg

Looks slightly different heights to me.

So you would probably need:

1) Multiflex 2 seat beach
2) Storage box
3) 2 seat bench.

Box for sale on eBay at the moment if you want to start collecting

Does anyone have a easy way of moving the bench seat out or the rear door?

We have a 3 seat one as we brought a demonstrator, if I had chosen I would have gone for the 2 seat but now I am glad I have the 3 seat. Being only 5ft tall I can sleep across the van on it with no need for the extra bed board. The 3 seat is also good as a barrier to stop things moving.

However we also have 2 single seats and sometimes want to have either the bench seat in or the 2 singles.
With some difficulty we change them. Does anyone have a easy way of moving the bench seat out or the rear door? Maybe with a ramp, then how do we get it the garage, any idea of wheels. Brute strength is OK but as I said I am short and of no help.

I have considered it too, as far as I know the Beach has 4 rails regardless if you have 2 seat or 3. As long as you have 4 rails you should be fine..

The 2 seat beach uses a box and the Ocean seat/bed. Not sure on the multiflex board... I think as the 3 seat is a higher bed, that the multiflex may be different and lower.

Looks slightly different heights to me.

So you would probably need:

1) Multiflex 2 seat beach
2) Storage box
3) 2 seat bench.

Thanks... and yes... heights are different, so I agree with you on the 3 parts needed. I'd probably make up my own multiplex board, so just the Storage Box and Seat needed. Maybe we need to start a 'dating' site to match up conversion partners...

Does anyone have a easy way of moving the bench seat out or the rear door?

We have a 3 seat one as we brought a demonstrator, if I had chosen I would have gone for the 2 seat but now I am glad I have the 3 seat. Being only 5ft tall I can sleep across the van on it with no need for the extra bed board. The 3 seat is also good as a barrier to stop things moving.

However we also have 2 single seats and sometimes want to have either the bench seat in or the 2 singles.
With some difficulty we change them. Does anyone have a easy way of moving the bench seat out or the rear door? Maybe with a ramp, then how do we get it the garage, any idea of wheels. Brute strength is OK but as I said I am short and of no help.
I don't think it will fit through the tailgate opening. Also, I don't think you can remove it from the rails rearwards. VW put them in through the side door.

I don't think it will fit through the tailgate opening. Also, I don't think you can remove it from the rails rearwards. VW put them in through the side door.

We have removed it though the rear door, it needed to be rotated . We can not take it out of the side door as our drive is on a slope on one side and the house on the other. We live on a busy hill so can not use the road. It was difficult to lift it out the back onto a ramp. I am hoping someone may have a better way of lifting and transporting.

Someone once posted a series of photos of a 3 seat bench being removed by one person with the aid of an engine hoist.

I think it was through the rear, but my memory brain cells are rapidly deteriorating so I may very well be wrong.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

The box (well at least the bit seen here) doesn't look difficult to fabricate:

box.jpg

The box (well at least the bit seen here) doesn't look difficult to fabricate:

Yes... not too bad to make... but hopefully I can find someone who wants to go from 2 Seater to 3 Seater so it's just a matter of swapping the parts over... I hate seeing waste of any sort, so a simple swap is best rather than fabricating something new.

There are dealers/breakers that will sell you a 2 seater on ebay - might be worth contacting to see if they would do a deal with the 3 seat as part exchange.

Looks like the asking price for a 2 seat bench is about £2000 and a 3 seater is £1200 thats without the multiflex, mattress, or side box.

There’s a forum thread here for someone going from two seats to three seats, and using the services of www.oxfordt5.co.uk to do so.

Looks like oxfordt5 will help you source a two seat bench and then fit it.

There’s a Polish seller on eBay who sells lots of benches from caravelles and California’s. You might find a two seater on their eBay page if you wait long enough, though suspect your best bet would be to keep asking in this forum for anyone who wants to swap

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/swapping-two-seater-bench-for-three-seater.1699/

Hi, I can't message you... I'm selling our 2seater

Back