Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach - 3 year old purchase - need to knows?

Jay586

Jay586

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
We've finally got around to maybe actually buying a Beach. Nearly bought one 5 years ago and since then had a couple of T6s. It's a bit of a jump to a Beach in price, so we're looking at 2018 ones when we usually get newer vehicles.

The spec of the ones we've looked at is really high tho, so anything we should swerve (do I remember issues with electric doors?) and any other must haves?

Dealer is saying spec does have an effect on sale price, think as they're on at a fair whack. The opposite of a pushy sales bloke tho, so he's not pushing a sale.

Anything I need to know?

Just realised the VED is higher post-2017?

Just realised the VED is higher post-2017?
Only higher for the first 6 years then its lower, so better in the long term.

Yep, I've got arthritis now so I'm definitely prioritising heating!

We normally spend November evenings up hills away from fireworks, so I've really missed the heater in the new Kombi. I'd had a part-conversion done on the previous van with a heater.

Actually need a new van due to floorspace. I've got 3 dogs and they used to go in a cage under the bed (got an Exploria kombi bed) but the new dog won't go in there and the others have staged a coup, so they're all on the back seat, which doesn't feel very safe (not been an issue as stayed home mostly).

I've been reading the threads on the pros and cons of both on here today. Advice welcome.

Anyone got a favourite dealer? Liverpool usually have loads in but have nothing atm and my local dealer has gone quite low on the px. Which isn't crucial but hasn't helped.

Check out the Trade in price on WBAC and Motorway as they are usually better than dealer price.

Yep, the WBAV price is pretty good. I think I could get more privately and I might flog it through the FB groups as it's a prime conversion candidate.

I need to find a Beach first tho.

Yep, I've gone through the list and been in contact with a couple of dealers. It's not always the easiest to use and sometimes they don't mention everything but that's how I've found my last 3 vehicles off those listings. :)

I don’t think there are any Beach options to be avoided:
  • Heater is pretty much essential, but can be retrofitted so not a dealbreaker if otherwise a good spec.
  • T6 Beach stock headlights are poor, so LEDs are desirable on a used van (depending on your usage).
  • I’d not want an electric sliding door myself, but many posters with them seem to like them.

- Camping Heater is essential as Cali's are not insulated.
- Headlights; LED are great apparently (Although that said we have H4's but I have yet to hit anything an night!). The issue is that LED lights are getting brighter on all cars, with many also having fog lights on permanently which takes your eyes longer to adjust back to a dark road once the car has passed.
- Assisted close on the sliding door is good, as you can close the door quietly at night when you get back late from the pub on a campsite. But fully electric is asking for trouble a few years down the road should you have an issue outside of warranty.
- Climate in the rear makes the van more comfortable for passengers and will help assist getting rid of condensation.

Yep, our T6 navigates by candlelight. The Up lights are actually better.

I'm coming round to wanting an Ocean now. Sigh.

It's not a real beach unless it's yellow

A very happy update, we have a Coast on order. It had all the options I want and wasn't as expensive as some of the used ones currently up for sale. :)

Sorry off topic.

Is there a reason the cali isn't insulated, as Ch1pbutty mentions above?
I just always thought it starts life as a caravelle so was never a van in the first place. Or am I completely wrong?
Also camper King do not insulate but I'd thought most of their's would start as a van and you would need it.
Sorry for jumping on this thread

To insulate or not...

My understanding is that the Californias are generally heated, so they don't insulate them, so as not to attract condensation.

That said I had a T6 conversion with excellent insulation & it was great.

Currently have an unheated kombi T6 and miss heating, lights & the insulation! Very basic, lots of bare paintwork, so I think all the mouldings must help.

Hi Jay

What sort of budget are you looking at as I purchased a 2019 2 seater Beach in 2020

I had an eberspacher diesel heater fitted after and also added an internal ISO top which make it nice and warm

I've got a Coast on order.

With heater.

There's bugger all available on the used market

Back