Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Drive Away Awnings

COAST22

COAST22

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi,

I tried an Outdoor Revolution Movelite 2 (2015 model) but it was a poor fit with 'baggy' tunnel attachments and catches the sliding door when opening - despite the adjustment options. The Vango Kela II (standard) is too tall.....

Has anyone found a suitable drive away awning?

The height of the wind out awning rail is very low (<180cm) for most that I have seen advertised (180 --220/240cm)

The Khyam Motordome Classic seems a good option - has anyone tried one? If so how easy is it to relocate when you return from a day out?

Thanks

John

The motordome and motordome sleeper are just the best Option by far.
no need to relocate at all..... just peg out a fluorescent guy line along the edge of your wheels when you set up the first time and use a chock to stop you at the perfect distance. Means you park up 100% perfect every time.

What a great idea. The simple ones are always the best. I was wondering how I could line the bus up with he awning. We have yet to use our motordome sleeper but it is really well made and easy to put up when we tested it.

Must vouch for the motor dome too I'm now on my second after using them for 6-7 years great great awning and simple to put up and take down.

We have the Oxygen Movelite 3. It's very quick to put (inflate) up, did it in a few mins at 10pm Friday evening. It has a sewn in groundsheet which we like.
My only criticism is that it is designed for uk spec campers where the sliding door is on the nearside. This means that the door into the awning is not directly opposite the Cali door when opened. Any others have this issue?

Anybody tried the
Kampa Travel Pod Action AIR Drive Away Awning ( VW Version) 2018

Anybody tried the
Kampa Travel Pod Action AIR Drive Away Awning ( VW Version) 2018

We’ve got one. Not too bad to put up and offers a good amount of space. It’s attached to the roll out awning so leaves a small gap between van and awning. Sliding door does run a bit close to the kador strip used to attach it and water will drip through there when it rains, may try an alternative method next time. Easy enough to unclip and drive away though, last time I marked the position of front & rear wheels for easy lining up on return.

AC87A1ED-378B-4EA7-9C44-CAA9D42C6CB5.jpeg

We’ve got one. Not too bad to put up and offers a good amount of space. It’s attached to the roll out awning so leaves a small gap between van and awning. Sliding door does run a bit close to the kador strip used to attach it and water will drip through there when it rains, may try an alternative method next time. Easy enough to unclip and drive away though, last time I marked the position of front & rear wheels for easy lining up on return.

View attachment 34071

Could you sleep in it during summer months (my teenage boys) ?

Could you sleep in it during summer months (my teenage boys) ?

Probably. Should be enough floor space for them, main area zips closed and has vents at the top on two sides. Ground sheet is separate but clips in and the sides have flaps that tuck under it. We also have the carpet on top. I believe there may be a ‘bedroom’ you can buy and fit in but it may not be big enough to sleep two.