Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Electrics

JezD

JezD

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all, I’m after a bit of advice on the power supply to the internal, non door activated, lighting in my 2017 Beach.

The story behind this question is really convoluted but will be subject of a review of the appalling service I’ve received at a VW main dealer. I won’t bore you with it here but would appreciate it if anyone could tell me this:

Should the internal, non door activated, lights and electrics work if the leisure battery is completely flat but the ignition is on?

In other words, are the leisure battery controlled electrics also hooked up to the main battery so they can run off that if there’s no juice in the leisure battery?

In other, other words, is there a plausible reason why the leisure battery electrics should work when the ignition is on, but not when it’s off?

Thanks

Hi all, I’m after a bit of advice on the power supply to the internal, non door activated, lighting in my 2017 Beach.

The story behind this question is really convoluted but will be subject of a review of the appalling service I’ve received at a VW main dealer. I won’t bore you with it here but would appreciate it if anyone could tell me this:

Should the internal, non door activated, lights and electrics work if the leisure battery is completely flat but the ignition is on?

In other words, are the leisure battery controlled electrics also hooked up to the main battery so they can run off that if there’s no juice in the leisure battery?

In other, other words, is there a plausible reason why the leisure battery electrics should work when the ignition is on, but not when it’s off?

Thanks
I have a 2017 Beach, owned for 22 months and slept in for >300 nights.

The five ceiling lights in the passenger area, the single boot light and, if you have them, the pop top lights and tailgate lights, all operate by button and are powered from the leisure battery under the front passenger seat.

The light near the rear view mirror and the footwell courtesy lights are powered from the engine battery. The ignition does not need to be on for these to work.

I do not know which battery powers the sun visor vanity lights. If I were forced into a wager I would bet on the engine battery, but would not have any confidence in winning the wager.

The only plausible explanation for the leisure lights working only when the ignition is on is a wiring fault.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Thanks
As @Amarillo has stated the 2 circuits are separate and No Leisure Services, lights etc: should work with a Flat Leisure Battery.

However there is one point of contact, a Relay R in the diagram, which is powered by the Ignition system and allows the Alternator to charge both the Engine and Leisure Batteries.
Now, I’m no Autoelectrician, but it might be possible for a faulty Relay to cause these symptoms.

However there is one point of contact, a Relay R in the diagram, which is powered by the Ignition system and allows the Alternator to charge both the Engine and Leisure Batteries.
Now, I’m no Autoelectrician, but it might be possible for a faulty Relay to cause these symptoms.
Nice one @WelshGas

If the internal lights had been left on and completely flattened the leisure battery, the following might happen.

Enter the van, engine on. Drive off, all rear lights off. At this time the alternator would be charging the engine battery of the power drain from starting the engine. Once the engine battery is at ~80% charge the relay would switch to the leisure battery and as if by magic the rear lights would come on.

This would be a feature, not a fault.

If the flattening of the leisure battery had caused irreparable damage, and the battery unable to hold charge, this would be a recurring feature until the battery is replaced.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Last edited:
Thanks very much for your replies. This issue has arisen because I put my van in because none of the leisure battery electrics were working. They kept it for three weeks and then when I went to pick it up I checked and found that the lights came on with the ignition on but went out as soon as I turned it off.
I’m of the opinion that this could only be happening because the garage have mucked up the wiring.

Thanks very much for your replies. This issue has arisen because I put my van in because none of the leisure battery electrics were working. They kept it for three weeks and then when I went to pick it up I checked and found that the lights came on with the ignition on but went out as soon as I turned it off.
I’m of the opinion that this could only be happening because the garage have mucked up the wiring.
The relay should only operate when the engine is running as it is controlled by the BCU(body control unit) so if your leisure batteries are flat and you start the van then the rear lights will work as power is flowing from the alternator and starter battery. If the relay operates as soon as you turn on the ignition (but not started) then I suspect they may have rewired the relay to an ignition supply.
But you dont say what has been done to fix the leisure batteries and check the fuses etc.