Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach headlights

highroad

highroad

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Does anyone know whether the standard headlights on the Beach have been upgraded for 2019? I thought the Beach came with the terrible H4s, and that one needed the external pack to get the H7s that are standard in the Ocean (or, of course, to upgrade to the LEDs). I was however just told by the VW Van Centre in Inverness (which is selling a 2019 demonstrator) that:

"I have just checked and the standard Bulbs in a California Beach are H7s."

If this is right, does anyone know exactly when it happened or how one can tell whether a given Beach one is looking at has H4s or H7s?

thanks

Nick

The headlights between the H4 and H7s used to be a completely different lay-out and pattern so it should be easy to tell them apart.

Zoom in on some photos between the Beach and Ocean on Autotrader.

Thanks, those are extremely helpful. I'll try to see if I can see what the headlights are in the video they sent me. These posts are a great general reference, however!

Right, so they are telling me these are H7s. I'm no genius at Where's Waldo? but it looks to me that those are H4s. In that case I just wonder: How can people sell £50k vehicles and get a basic detail like this wrong?

Screen Shot 2019-08-02 at 19.51.49.png

Hi Highroad. They are H4 if that is the drl lit. If its Hawco they should know but :Stig

Right, so they are telling me these are H7s. I'm no genius at Where's Waldo? but it looks to me that those are H4s. In that case I just wonder: How can people sell £50k vehicles and get a basic detail like this wrong?

View attachment 48276
They certainly look like H4's to me!

Thanks. It's interesting how many Beaches for sale have the basic headlights, even when they have other, much more expensive options.

I recently changed my DRL bulbs for LED versions, they are I think 380s, and pretty sure the headlights are H4. H4 is a twin filament bulb one each for both dipped and main, the H7 is a single bulb for each so should be able to see just looking through the glass.

I've been told GE Megalight H4 are worth a buy if you do get stuck with H4 ;).

I've just ordered a new Beach and all three options still appear to be available.

I just placed a deposit on a 68 plate Beach. Not seen it yet so not sure what lights. The dealer said the 2cthey had on forecourt had H7's but a 3rd party LED swap out could be had for £500. Anyone know if this swap is possible if H4's are fitted?

I just placed a deposit on a 68 plate Beach. Not seen it yet so not sure what lights. The dealer said the 2cthey had on forecourt had H7's but a 3rd party LED swap out could be had for £500. Anyone know if this swap is possible if H4's are fitted?
Those will be H7 headlghts with LED DRLs. Aftermarket LED headlights are closer to £3000.
The ones your Dealer mentioned can be fitted in place of H4 lights but require coding to work properly

So been and seen my actual Cali now and sadly it is H4 lights. Think I will go for some upgraded bulbs to start with as my wallet is hurting from pushing the budget by 10 grand to get the Cali! Lol

If it’s the light intensity you require then there is nothing close to the factory LEDS. However if it’s just for the look, then you could opt for these aftermarket options. I few guys I know have them and they look great.

If it’s the light intensity you require then there is nothing close to the factory LEDS. However if it’s just for the look, then you could opt for these aftermarket options. I few guys I know have them and they look great.
It is the intensity I'm after really, I have LED's on my egolf so will miss being able to see at night! Will wait til next week and see how bad they really are!

It is the intensity I'm after really, I have LED's on my egolf so will miss being able to see at night! Will wait til next week and see how bad they really are!
Compare them to a tea light. You won’t be far off.

With the advent of the new aftermarket LED DRL headlights coming onto the market I've seen the, almost new, twin H7 headlight units for sale at a reasonable price which could give a cost effective change from the single H4 type. Don't know if simply a plug & play swap.

So been and seen my actual Cali now and sadly it is H4 lights. Think I will go for some upgraded bulbs to start with as my wallet is hurting from pushing the budget by 10 grand to get the Cali! Lol
We had a Beach with standard H4 headlights. All I can say is that I wasn't impressed. However, a pair of Phillips Racing bulbs from Halfords made a significant improvement. Also I believe you can change the whole headlamp unit for the H7 units quite easily.

We had a Beach with standard H4 headlights. All I can say is that I wasn't impressed. However, a pair of Phillips Racing bulbs from Halfords made a significant improvement. Also I believe you can change the whole headlamp unit for the H7 units quite easily.
After also had a Beach with H4 I would go as far as saying that they are useless.

Glad I hardly drove it when it was dark!

After also had a Beach with H4 I would go as far as saying that they are useless.

Glad I hardly drove it when it was dark!
Once bitten....... I've recently ordered a new Beach, with LEDs this time!

Once bitten....... I've recently ordered a new Beach, with LEDs this time!
I've got LED's on my Edition and they are amazing, I do find the rainbow effect light outside of the passenger window catch my eye on nearby bushes though!

I have the Phillips racing 150% in the Cali and then put the GE 150% in the Wife's Citroen and found the GE bulb had to edge on light benefit. Price similar. They are both really +50% as the 100% is actually the same as you have now, bit of Marketing trickery.

With the advent of the new aftermarket LED DRL headlights coming onto the market I've seen the, almost new, twin H7 headlight units for sale at a reasonable price which could give a cost effective change from the single H4 type. Don't know if simply a plug & play swap.
They require some Computer program changes as the H7 lights have both bulbs on when on Main Beam as they are single filament bulbs whereas the H4 are Dual Filament with only 1 filament active at a time.

Back