Beach interior panel removal? - cavity thump

hirsty

hirsty

Two Seat Beach DSG
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I'm not all that gifted with interior trim & always seem to break clips etc when removing door cards & similar ... Does anyone have an idiots guide to removing Beach interior panels, or have you seen a YouTube tutorial etc please?

I've read about folks removing trim to access electrics / charger / fit solar panels but don't remember seeing any guidance on how to get behind the grey plastic (where the kitchen is in an Ocean). I have a two seat rear bench which must help.

There's an audible dull thump coming from the nearside rear interior whilst making sharp turns & think there's something in there twixt inner plastic & outer steel - I've tried taking everything loose out of the van already & am convinced there's something in there wobbling!

Unless there are any visible 'buttons', cover tabs, overlapping trim sheets, window frame trim etc or handles (ie as on a door card) then by far the most common method is the hidden button attached to the reverse of the trim panel and then into a hole in the inner skin of the van side.

Sometimes you have to just be brave and pull. Or inset a wide rounded edge blade (cover with masking tape or wrap in thin card) or plastic implement as a lever and just proceed most gingerly and hope for the best! At worst usually only the trim tabs will break.

Also see if you can access a parts manual to see an illustration of the panels involved for clues.

I'm not all that gifted with interior trim & always seem to break clips etc when removing door cards & similar ... Does anyone have an idiots guide to removing Beach interior panels, or have you seen a YouTube tutorial etc please?

I've read about folks removing trim to access electrics / charger / fit solar panels but don't remember seeing any guidance on how to get behind the grey plastic (where the kitchen is in an Ocean). I have a two seat rear bench which must help.

There's an audible dull thump coming from the nearside rear interior whilst making sharp turns & think there's something in there twixt inner plastic & outer steel - I've tried taking everything loose out of the van already & am convinced there's something in there wobbling!
Have you got Mains Hookup?
If so it is probably the Charger. I think it is held in place by double sided tape..

Most panels are held in place by conical, fir tree type plugs that slide into a slot on the back of the panel and push into a replaceable plastic socket held in a hole in the metal work. A Trim removal tool, eBay, can be useful.

This shows the kind of fixings used.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...867/subcategory/867035/part_id/3723529/lang/e

Really helpful both, thank you.

Having eliminated all the tat I'd loaded into the van myself and the jack I too suspect the charger (from pics I've seen) is all else that's in there.

May well add it to the Dealer list to be on the safe side & save money on clips ... They're going to re-adjust alignment of my replacement tailgate, when it eventually goes in for lowering kit fitting, so just another quick job if you know what you're doing.

Cheers.

I've not been brave enough to remove the rear trim either. It's always a PITA. You need to know where and how to remove. I've looked and can't find anything online detailing how to remove Beach trim.
If you do come across anything, please let me know.

IMG_3982.JPG

IMG_3978.JPG

IMG_3980.JPG

IMG_3984.JPG

IMG_3987.JPG

IMG_3989.JPG

IMG_3990.JPG

IMG_3992.JPG

It's not always been my experience, but they say fortune favours the brave - so got stuck in just now & yes, it's the charger loose twixt interior plastic & steel body, wobbling around sharper turns.

Couldn't get the trim all the way off, but was able to wedge it a little tighter so it won't move anymore - back to the Dealer for a warranty conversation ...

Pics attached above for the Beach-curious - I have a T6 with 2-seat bench & removed the storage box (solid item, 15KG?) with the two clever bolts that slot into the floor rail.

1/ You next remove the high & low panels on the N/S c-pillar - just pull, fir tree fasteners - to reveal 10 or so black steel T20 torx screws in two lengths, three or so pale plastic 3mm hex 'plugs' & nearly forgot the 2x T27 torx holding in the lashing point by the floor ... The bottle holder blocked off by the rear bench seat cushion comes in handy for once!

2/ it gets more hairy going towards front (seat belt mount cover), along under the N/S middle window & back to the rear pillar, again cover just pops off but has cable for light attached.

Went back together 95% fine, but can't get the channel piece for the blind to now perfectly align behind the b-pillar - might need a bigger bang.

Last edited:
See now you've gone from timid to expert. Good effort. :thumb

Hirsty
To get the trim off, was it just a case of giving it a good pull...?
Ive tried pulling them a bit, but always fearful of breaking something.

Get some decent plastic spudgers designed for getting panels off is the best bet imho.

Get some decent plastic spudgers designed for getting panels off is the best bet imho.

I have a couple of big flat blade screwdrivers ;)

Sorry - didn't see this earlier.

Just a gentle pull, fairly intuitive once you get going & have removed the very many bolt fasteners, no prising tools required but I didn't take it all the way, off esp. around b-pillar.

Back