Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach leisure battery charging

Neilos

Neilos

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi all, I’ve read all the posts I can on here but still not sure. We’ve got a 2018 T6 Beach. Currently have it plugged in to 230V at home. Socket inside by B pillar works have tested that. Voltage in the 12V sockets reads 12.7V on my cheapo Amazon voltmeter. The voltage doesn’t seem to change when EHU is switch on or off. Does this mean my battery charger is not charging the battery? I had expected to see a rise in voltage when switched on.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does your battery charge while driving? If not, you might have a blown fuse.
Normally, while plugged in, the voltage should rise up to 14,2V or even higher. At least it does in mine (SE, I know), and when topped up, it still keeps the voltage above 13V.
Try to find the 220 to 12V converter and measure the inlet and outlet voltages. If this is ok, it's probably a fuse, otherwise, the charger?

Thanks for the reply, I think I might have figured it out just went out for a look and found this, hard to photograph but looks like a cable has been dislodged
44617a0b237597fc245bf225d386a5d8.jpg

Looks like you just might have found what is wrong.
That is just near the 220V inlet?
Now you still need to find out where it belongs.
Hopefully you find out and are able to reconnect, AND everything works again!

Pretty sure it’s the feed for the battery charger from the RCD. I’ll have a go later and fingers crossed it’ll work!

Update to this, all fixed and working. Now seeing 13.9V on the leisure circuit when on hook up.

There’s a plastic shroud around the RCD which prevents access to the cable terminal tightening screw. This is on clips which you cannot see. A firm pull towards the windscreen will remove it. Then it’s relatively easy to get onto the tightening screw. The terminal was very tight. I personally don’t think my charging circuit has ever been wired correctly. The cable end looked untouched like it hadn’t been clamped.

I’ve only ever plugged than van in a few times having only owned it 4 months or so and didn’t have a voltmeter for the first few times. So hoping my batteries have not been damaged. They seem to operate well and hold their charge so hopefully ok.

Glad you found it, and were able to solve it.
Better than taking the van back to the dealer to let them solve it through warranty.
As you say it didn't look it was ever attached, there is probably no problem. If it would have loosened, then there might have been a problem to be solved under warranty, but now I don't see a reason to worry.

Happy camping, and charging the battery in the future!

Thanks for the reply, I think I might have figured it out just went out for a look and found this, hard to photograph but looks like a cable has been dislodged
44617a0b237597fc245bf225d386a5d8.jpg

I think I have the same problem that you had, have a T6 Beach and on hookup the 3pin socket works, but battery not charging.

I can’t work out whereabouts in the van your picture was taken though? Are you able to provide some more info on location please?

Hi new to the Cali group. When and how do I charge the leisure battery from home and what should the display show once it is fully charged.
thanks
sam

Hi new to the Cali group. When and how do I charge the leisure battery from home and what should the display show once it is fully charged.
thanks
sam
plug the van in. once a month if your not using it. overnight is usually long enough. display will show 0A or close to it, and 100% when fuly charged

thanks
sam
Depends on your vehicle. If an Ocean/SE then as @flying banana has stated above. If a Beach then there is no monitoring but a simple plug in voltmeter in one of the 12v sockets in the rear will help.

If you don’t have a plug in your communal block car park, can you drive to a nearby electric car charging point and use it?

I think I have the same problem that you had, have a T6 Beach and on hookup the 3pin socket works, but battery not charging.

I can’t work out whereabouts in the van your picture was taken though? Are you able to provide some more info on location please?
Hi I've got same problem on my 2008 California.
Did you find out how and where the loose leed eas

Hi I've got same problem on my 2008 California.
Did you find out how and where the loose leed eas
From post #4 I think it is near where the hook up cable connects into the van (rear lefthand side behind the wheel arch).

From post #4 I think it is near where the hook up cable connects into the van (rear lefthand side behind the wheel arch).
That’s right, that’s where it was. Was a bit of a fiddle to get it connected securely again

That’s right, that’s where it was. Was a bit of a fiddle to get it connected securely again
Thank you

To get to this lead do I need to take plastic hookup fitting on the outside above wheel arch off to get to it ?

Thank you

To get to this lead do I need to take plastic hookup fitting on the outside above wheel arch off to get to it ?
I think you need to look above the wheel arch inside the tailgate. There is a plastic cover that clips off. At least there is on my Beach.

I think you need to look above the wheel arch inside the tailgate. There is a plastic cover that clips off. At least there is on my Beach.
Ok checked the lead from unscrewin the hookup port and it comes out nice and easy.
Leads are fine.the lead is just above opening

20210323_102439.jpg

20210323_102910.jpg

Silly question maybe but have you checked the trip switch? It's accessed from inside, above the jack and almost impossible to see! There's probably a photo on the forums somewhere which would help guide you, or just stick your camera in and take photos until you spot it

Silly question maybe but have you checked the trip switch? It's accessed from inside, above the jack and almost impossible to see! There's probably a photo on the forums somewhere which would help guide you, or just stick your camera in and take photos until you spot it
Do mean in the back cupboard above gas bottle ?
If so then yes

Kind of. I assumed by the thread title it was a Beach but I guess not

Do mean in the back cupboard above gas bottle ?
If so then yes
The original post was about a Beach and from your info you have an SE.

The OP's thread refers to the T6 Beach variant in which VW have placed the RCD in just about the most inaccessible position that they could. Well done VW it's a real stunning piece of design!

With the boot empty and the Multiflex removed it's a sod to get to and as you can't usually see the thing, it has to be done by feel alone. With anything in the boot it's almost impossible to get at. Is this feature the same on the T6-1 Beach? This design's only redeeming feature is that once switched to the on position, you don't need to go near it again.

My tip if you are having issues with charging and you think it's the RCD wiring etc, would be don't mess about with it, take it back to the dealer. If it isn't charging when the RCD is switched in the on position, then it's clearly a warranty issue. If out of warranty then remove everything from the boot and the tool compartment first. I image the job from there on in would be something akin to key hole surgery being both tight and awkward with limited access to see what you are doing. Good luck.

As for charging:
1. Make sure the RCD is in the on position and then don't go near it again, ever. You'll probably need a torch and a mirror. I helps if you are a double jointed with the upper limbs of a child!
2. Check the leisure battery voltage with a voltage tester. Plug it into the 12v socket on the B pillar behind the front passenger seat. You can buy these on Amazon or Ebay. The one I have has three coloured lights to indicate the state of charge. More importantly it has a digital voltage read out.
3. Connect up your 240v domestic supply to the EHU and check the volt meter again. The read out should now be higher. Charge once a month. I leave mine on charge for several days and sometimes up to a week. It won't do any harm and once the leisure battery is topped up it will start to trickle charge the vehicle battery. It won't get around to charging the engine battery if only on charge for a short time.
4. If you have the diesel parking heater option then this is a good time, whilst the vehicle liesure battery is on charge, to give it it's monthly test run. Let it run for 30mins to keep everything tickety- boo.

Last edited:
Hi all, picture was taken from up inside the tool box wheel arch storage area. It’s a bugger to see and get to. I was lucky I used my phone with the torch on and took pictures and videos and saw a loose cable there. I wired that into a port on the switch and it worked. You have to work by feel and then check by taking a video or photo with your phone with the torch on! This is for a T6 beach. The SE or Ocean will be different owing to 2 leisure batteries but there should still be a feed from the RCD to the battery charger I’m not familiar with that system since I don’t have it in mine. Voltmeter as Borris says is essential to check what’s happening.

Back