Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Leisure Battery Replacement

SimonVW

SimonVW

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Having recently had solar charging fitted to my 2013 Beach, the original leisure battery is now being shown up as ageing and past it’s best days. It is the Varta 5K0 915 105 H 12V 80Ah battery. I realise this type is probably best suited as a starter battery and I will not be replacing like for like.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a deep cycle leisure battery, minimum of 80Ah but preferably higher

Thank you

Last edited:
Been having a look..,has anyone taken the battery tray out, or removed the lips on either end of the tray that restrict the length of battery that can fit? If they go, a 353mm battery should fit and that really does open up the range and Ah choice.

I too have the type that Matt pointed out as being better suited to starter battery application than leisure battery ...

Interested in what people come back with, mines a bit past it's best too - I want to stick with original OEM dimensions, it's very tight under the passenger seat.

Varta LA80 battery from Tanya Batteries £144.46 via eBay free delivery. On offer until 21st February.

It must be a thing with beaches, mines a 2013 and the battery doesn't seem to work well even after a long charge.
I'm assuming the above battery is the correct size(dimensions) as I haven't had chance to check mine.

It must be a thing with beaches, mines a 2013 and the battery doesn't seem to work well even after a long charge.
I'm assuming the above battery is the correct size(dimensions) as I haven't had chance to check mine.

Same dimensions, straight swap for my 2012 Beach.

Leisure batteries rarely have a warranty over 4 yrs . I’m sure some of the claims of Leisure Batteries lasting 9, 10 or more years could be questionable in some cases as they haven’t been used off grid for a longish period with a heavy load, eg: Parking Heater & fridge running.

Are there any / has anyone had issues in having an AGM type battery charged (when driving) via the alternator?
When on hookup I can charge via a CTEK charger that has an AGM mode/ charging profile but when driving it will be charged via the normal alternator. Some sites seem to suggest AGM batteries can be damaged if the voltage is > 15V or not regulated properly.

The alternator on mine goes upto about 14.6/7v tops and was designed to charge agm as the vehicle battery is also agm on the bluemotion (and newer) models. It will stop charging about 80% of capacity to allow room for regenerative braking and stop start..

If you plug in a volt meter you can see the voltage live.

Deep Cycle AGM:- AGM batteries should be charged at a charging voltage of between 14.6 – 14.8V following deep cycle use, or 13.6V – 13.8V for standby use.

Can confirm from my battery monitor that this matches the charging profile on my 2015 beach.

The alternator on mine goes upto about 14.6/7v tops and was designed to charge agm as the vehicle battery is also agm on the bluemotion (and newer) models. It will stop charging about 80% of capacity to allow room for regenerative braking and stop start..

If you plug in a volt meter you can see the voltage live.

My Beach is not bluemotion and the vehicle and leisure batteries are 'normal' wet cell. I do have one of the cigarette lighter voltmeters (as well as a proper multiumeter) so will leave that plugged in to keep an eye on what voltage is being output while driving.

Has anyone managed to fit anything higher capacity (than the 80Ah AGM) with original fixings under the seat? If so, what was the make and model? My existing battery (4 years old) is only charging to 12.5v - testing to see if MPPT / Solar will bring it up above that (i.e. above the 80% charge the van delivers) otherwise it is time for a replacement - but I would love something beefier than 80Ah.

Like the OP, I seem to have starter batteries installed for leisure side (at least in the back). When switching battery type to AGM deep cycle, is there something I need to change to get the right charging profile from the 220v charger? Or to get the right % in the display?

Last edited:
Been having a look..,has anyone taken the battery tray out, or removed the lips on either end of the tray that restrict the length of battery that can fit? If they go, a 353mm battery should fit and that really does open up the range and Ah choice.
I removed part of the seat bases on both sides and fitted a couple of 110Ah Lifepo4 batteries. They identical in height and width to the OEM battery but 355mm long.

Has anyone managed to fit anything higher capacity (than the 80Ah AGM) with original fixings under the seat? If so, what was the make and model? My existing battery (4 years old) is only charging to 12.5v - testing to see if MPPT / Solar will bring it up above that (i.e. above the 80% charge the van delivers) otherwise it is time for a replacement - but I would love something beefier than 80Ah.
It seems like we could fit a 95Ah battery like a Varta LA95. Anyone tried this? Will have a go at this in the near future, can let you know if we make it...

It seems like we could fit a 95Ah battery like a Varta LA95. Anyone tried this? Will have a go at this in the near future, can let you know if we make it...
My buddy managed to squeeze a varta LA95 under the drivers seat of his T5 2012 (?) after grinding off some plastic edges off the battery.
The original idea was to put the LA95 in the back. That does NOT work. There is space enough in the compartment, but you cannot get the battery through the opening in the panel. Water tank gets in the way...

Can anyone help as to how to access the leisure battery we want to fit a inverter?

It’s under the passenger seat. Loosen front seat bolts half way, slide seat forward.
Turn ignition off and don’t switch back on.
undo rear seat rail bolts and tilt seat forward
Disconnect airbag yellow connector and any other seated seat connectors. Do not switch ignition on else airbag error.
remove rubber battery cover.
admire battery.
when refitting ensure that bolts tightened to correct torque and connections remade before ignition on.
Proceed at own risk.

Also note that there is loads of space under drivers seat and an easy connecting channel runs between the seats from under the passenger side battery tray. So if need be you can reroute their perhaps.

Can anyone help as to how to access the leisure battery we want to fit a inverter?
In addition to previous answer: I have a second leisure battery, I don´t know of everyone does.

It is mounted in the back, under the closet (in an Ocean). Left side of luggage compartment at floor level.

It’s under the passenger seat. Loosen front seat bolts half way, slide seat forward.
Turn ignition off and don’t switch back on.
undo rear seat rail bolts and tilt seat forward
Disconnect airbag yellow connector and any other seated seat connectors. Do not switch ignition on else airbag error.
remove rubber battery cover.
admire battery.
when refitting ensure that bolts tightened to correct torque and connections remade before ignition on.
Proceed at own risk.
Sorry to ask again but can not work out how to disconnect airbag yellow connector .

Sorry to ask again but can not work out how to disconnect airbag yellow connector .
You don't have to disconnect. Just lean seat forward against dashboard. I never disconnected mine and there was more than enough space.

You don't have to disconnect. Just lean seat forward against dashboard. I never disconnected mine and there was more than enough space.
Thanks will send my husband out again to the van. However in the meantime I will ask another question. While away last weekend the battery did not charge from mains as after 2 days my phone would not charge from 12v socket in living area and diesel heater gave an error. It seems to be charging from the alternator because it read 12.5v after getting home. The starter battery is being charged from the mains.