Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach or Ocean (SE)

Now hold on here , weather it's a Beach - Coast :D or Ocean .
It all requires cups&plates , pots&pans , bedding or sleepingbags , tv&microwaves:headbang , and more stuff that adapt each thiere own needs .

But i do think the Coast/Ocean/SE is more a campervan and a Beach more the kind of people carrier that easy can be used as a campervan after adding a portable coocker and a good 12v fridge.

To be honest i also needed a lot of campinggear to buy for my SE , it does not comes with every needs....

It's all about personal needs .....i keep repeting this so it seems:)

....it's not what you got , it's how you use it ....
In Belgium a Beach is not a campervan but a van for transport of people. In order to be classified as a camper there must be a kitchen (fixed in place not removable) + a bed (with or without help of seats folding back) and tabel (fold away is ok) . This has financial consequences regarding taxes, insurance etc..

I think if I was an alien just landed from Mars and read this lot then I would go to another planet. Mercury would be nice, No need to worry about an on-board heater.

I want a camper. My needs are different to anyone else's on the planet because I am an individual. At the end of the day what I bought did not cost me anything. I sold it for a little less than I paid for it but that little less was more than compensated for by the savings it gave me, and nothing could have given me more pleasure to use.

I'm quite lazy, mechanically whatever the equivalent to dyslexia is so totally incapable of even self-assembling the most easy of parts, prone to incredible changes of mind (I could get in it intending to go to Nice and find myself heading off to the Scottish highlands instead), travel alone mostly and also prone to waking up with that deepening sense of doom accompanied by wild churning thoughts of "Where the hell am I and how the hell do I get out!".

No one on the planet is exactly like me so no one on the planet can tell me what I really need or can do with it. At the end of the day my little escape module with everything in it to survive the most unplanned for disaster of a trip does me fine.

GrannyJen gives the perfect answer to decision making regarding Ocean or Beach. You get what you want and what suits your needs. Our outpourings are irrelevant, biased and to be honest selfish. If you want a people carrier no question the Beach. If a campervan suits your requirements an Ocean. Simples.:confused:

CaliforniaOcean_01.jpg

Last edited:
GrannyJen gives the perfect answer to decision making regarding Ocean or Beach. You get what you want and what suits your needs. Our outpourings are irrelevant, biased and to be honest selfish. If you want a people carrier no question the Beach. If a campervan suits your requirements an Ocean. Simples.:confused:

View attachment 28530
"Simples"?

Why then do new comers continue to ask for advice on this subject?

a four/five seat car, which it does very inefficiently
a seven seat MPV, which it does very well
You can't say one is a very good car and the other is not, just different number of bums on seats. You're right about the Beach being a good 7 seater mpv/van but the Ocean still makes a fantastic 4/5 seater car/cruiser with huge luggage/shopping capacity.
Why then do new comers continue to ask for advice on this subject?
I would say the subject has already been covered to death on the forum but newcomers haven't read the thread from the beginning or used a search and found the various posts regarding this.

Some people ask the question and seem to withdraw leaving the Beach and Ocean owners to battle it out online indefinitely.
However, whilst the Beach owners have been packing away 200 boxes, various cookers, fridges and washing up bowls Ocean owners have seized the moment, left camp and surrounded them. Victory will soon be ours! :D:D:D

You can't say one is a very good car and the other is not, just different number of bums on seats. You're right about the Beach being a good 7 seater mpv/van but the Ocean still makes a fantastic 4/5 seater car/cruiser with huge luggage/shopping capacity.

I would say the subject has already been covered to death on the forum but newcomers haven't read the thread from the beginning or used a search and found the various posts regarding this.

Some people ask the question and seem to withdraw leaving the Beach and Ocean owners to battle it out online indefinitely.
However, whilst the Beach owners have been packing away 200 boxes, various cookers, fridges and washing up bowls Ocean owners have seized the moment, left camp and surrounded them. Victory will soon be ours! :D:D:D
"Covered to death"? We've only just started to discuss how much better the Beach is than the SE/Ocean. Can you play Twister in an SE/Ocean? I think not!
SE/Oceans might leave the campsite first but will soon be overtaken by the speedy light weight Beach barreling past you as you struggle to lug your heavy kitchen along. :thumb

Seriously, having owned both versions, I remain extremely impressed by both and would/will buy either again without hesitation. You either need one or t'other depending on your circs. Still the rivalry will continue............

Last edited:
No. Absolutely not. Why take a 2 hob stove, a wardrobe and the kitchen sink to the supermarket every time you go? (I understand the usefulness of taking a fridge.)

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
Why take 7 seats & a van size empty space every time you go out on your own, when that space could usefully be utilised to carry a sink, wardrobe and hob.

If four of us go out for the day it may only be a small chance that we will use the hob/ sink etc but there would be zero chance that we would use another 3 seats.

Where do all the Beach owners leave their cookers, water containers, camping gear etc when its not being used?

Where do all the Beach owners leave their cookers, water containers, camping gear etc when its not being used?
In the bike shed. The same place where we stored our camping gear before the Beach.

Pitching and striking camp is a real faff with the Beach, compared with the Ocean/SE. But it would be wholly impractical to do what we are doing in an Ocean unless we had a driveaway awning, and once that is set up, setting up a kitchen area and dining area is quick and easy.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Last edited:
The only thing we can agree on is there are two camps. One Ocean and one Beach and never the twain will agree. As for choice it is down to the individual and their requirements. :Stig

The only thing we can agree on is there are two camps. One Ocean and one Beach and never the twain will agree. As for choice it is down to the individual and their requirements. :Stig

Or the size of their bike-sheds where they store all the beach bits....

Unless the Ocean is in there first :shocked

:Iamsorry

I'll get my coat .......:sad

This thread is comedy.
:D

"Covered to death"? We've only just started to discuss how much better the Beach is than the SE/Ocean. Can you play Twister in an SE/Ocean? I think not!
SE/Oceans might leave the campsite first but will soon be overtaken by the speedy light weight Beach barreling past you as you struggle to lug your heavy kitchen along. :thumb

Seriously, having owned both versions, I remain extremely impressed by both and would/will buy either again without hesitation. You either need one or t'other depending on your circs. Still the rivalry will continue............
Bozza you never even filled the water tank or used the sink/cooker (your words) so how are you qualified to talk about the SE?

Bozza you never even filled the water tank or used the sink/cooker (your words) so how are you qualified to talk about the SE?
We didn't use the spare wheel either!

So how exactly, would filling the tank and using the sink give my observations any more credibility? I gave my reasons why we didn't use these facilities. Please feel free to ignore them.

P.s Where did I say that I hadn't used the cooker?

Last edited: