Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach or Ocean

B

Bepto

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
OK, I have decided I want a Cali but can't decide between Beach or Ocean. Originally thought Beach but as I configure my required options it comes out around 50K, that is without parking heater which I would probably regret not getting.

Same options on the Ocean (which includes Aux Heater) comes in around 8.5K more than the beach.

As I intend to keep the van for a good few years I'm sort of leaning towards the Ocean now, I presume residuals would be better on the Ocean?

Anyone here regret their choice after purchase & why?

Thanks all.

I would ignore the cost difference and just concentrate on what you'll use it for and how many people you want to carry. I've currently got a Beach and its our only family car so works brilliantly for that.

Reactions: Els
Only you can answer this really... What do you want from the Cali?

Welcome , that Q is asked so many times and in the end only you can give the answer .
They are both Cali's yet they are both very diffrent in usage if you compare how we as owners use them . Those owning a Beach mostly (i do say mostly) have a slightly diffrent way of looking at theire Beach . They see it as a family car and holliday verhicle while most SE/Ocean owners see theire Cali as a holliday verhicle only .
I don't speak for everyone but been on the forum long enough to conclude this .
Compare your own wants and needs with price/budget .
Lots to read on the forum on must have options like parking heater ,ect...

OK, I have decided I want a Cali but can't decide between Beach or Ocean. Originally thought Beach but as I configure my required options it comes out around 50K, that is without parking heater which I would probably regret not getting.

Same options on the Ocean (which includes Aux Heater) comes in around 8.5K more than the beach.

As I intend to keep the van for a good few years I'm sort of leaning towards the Ocean now, I presume residuals would be better on the Ocean?

Thanks all.
Don’t forget the cost of additional storage, cooking and other camping items you will need for the Beach in order to make a true comparison on cost.

Thanks all.

Have you thought of a pre owned Ocean with all the goodies you want?

Like most people have said only you can make that decision we have owned three SE's and are now on our first Beach our circumstances have changed this is why we went for the Beach as foster carers we needed the space and the flexibility of this vehicle is awesome but so is the SE in a different way my advice would be to hire both and then choose the one that suits you best I think you've got lots of reading to do and we wish you lots of luck and happy reading :thumb

Hire and try out both is the best advice from above. When you‘re new to the so called „vanlife“ (or whatever it‘s called) the even hire a Ducato/Sprinter based van or a conversion to get the best impression (I know you already decided it will be a California but maybe helps to sort out even more what you want).
And forget about the cost: They are expensive nomatter whg you get/buy. And you keep both of them - hopefully - as long as you can! Welcome here and look forward to know what you got in the end!

Beach buying guide.

· Visit dealer. Look at Ocean and fall in love. Sharp intake of breath at price. Dealer suggests cheaper Beach. You’re convinced.

· Return to forum and kick off yet another Ocean/Beach punch up. Beachisti will write pages of self-justification. Oceangoers respond taking the pi** smugly.

· Buy Beach.

· Realise it’s just a van with a bed and start investigating various pods/fridges/stoves/storage solutions to enable some sort of comfortable camping. Start a forum post on kitchen pods and kick off another Ocean/Beach punch up (see above).

· Struggle on in denial for several years until your PCP expires.

· Sell Beach and Buy Ocean.

· Join smug Oceangoers in forum punch ups. (See above).

Disclaimer - No feelings were hurt or damaged during the making of this post.

Beach buying guide.

· Visit dealer. Look at Ocean and fall in love. Sharp intake of breath at price. Dealer suggests cheaper Beach. You’re convinced.

· Return to forum and kick off yet another Ocean/Beach punch up. Beachisti will write pages of self-justification. Oceangoers respond taking the pi** smugly.

· Buy Beach.

· Realise it’s just a van with a bed and start investigating various pods/fridges/stoves/storage solutions to enable some sort of comfortable camping. Start a forum post on kitchen pods and kick off another Ocean/Beach punch up (see above).

Are you suggesting the Beach should not have been classed a California by VW?

Thanks for all the comments guy's.

It will be used as our main/only vehicle. Just me and the wife to consider. Occasional camping & days out etc which is why I originally thought of the Beach. It was the price difference that shocked me a little. I thought there would be more of a gap between the 2.

It will be used as our main/only vehicle. Just me and the wife to consider. Occasional camping & days out etc which is why I originally thought of the Beach. It was the price difference that shocked me a little. I thought there would be more of a gap between the 2.
As others have said you need to put the costs of both versions to one side at least initially, and consider carefully which vehicle will suit your needs best. You have said that you intend to keep this vehicle for a long time so you will need to factor in what your needs are now and what you expect them to be in the future.

Don't be won over by the showroom allure of a gorgeous Ocean if it's really the Beach that will be a more practical vehicle for you long term. I have owned both versions at the same time and can tell you that they are both truely brilliant vehicles but are completely different propositions practically. Therefore they suit different lifestyles. Don't be drawn into thinking that either version is best. They are just different.

Since the obvious major difference between the two vehicles is the built in kitchen/wardrobe unit on the Ocean, you should start by asking yourself how often you would use these facilities. The For Sale section on this forum often features adverts where the seller states that they've never filled the water tank or used the sink. Sometimes the seller will also say that it's either rarely or never been cooked in. If you will, then fine but if your answer is, not a lot, then why lug the kitchen set up around for the next few years when the space it occupies could be more useful?

Having worked out your priorities, go and have a close look at both the Ocean and Beach to see how different they are. Look at the various possible seating configurations in the Beach and try out the downstairs bed in both versions. Don't forget that the Beach model has itself got two different bed layouts depending on whether you have the two or three seater rear bench seat. Try both. Make sure you try the three seat bench is in conjuction with the VW comfort mattress. Once you've looked at both versions and all bed layouts and worked out which suits you best then that's the time to start considering the cost.

Buy with your head and not your heart.

Good luck.

Last edited:
As others have said you need to put the costs of both versions to one side at least initially, and consider carefully which vehicle will suit your needs best. You have said that you intend to keep this vehicle for a long time so you will need to factor in what your needs are now and what you expect them to be in the future.

Don't be won over by the showroom allure of a gorgeous Ocean if it's really the Beach that will be a more practical vehicle for you long term. I have owned both versions at the same time and can tell you that they are both truely brilliant vehicles but are completely different propositions practically. Therefore they suit different lifestyles. Don't be drawn into thinking that either version is best. They are just different.

Since the obvious major difference between the two vehicles is the built in kitchen/wardrobe unit on the Ocean, you should start by asking yourself how often you would use these facilities. The For Sale section on this forum often features adverts where the seller states that they've never filled the water tank or used the sink. Sometimes the seller will also say that it's either rarely or never been cooked in. If you will then fine but if your answer is, not a lot, then why lug the kitchen set up around for the next few years when the space it occupies could be more useful. So my point is to weigh up how you will use the vehicle before worrying about the costs of each version.

Having worked out your priorities, go and have a close look at both versions and see how different they are. Look at the various possible seating configurations in the Beach and try out the downstairs bed in both versions. Once you've worked out which one suits you best then that's the time to consider the cost.

Buy with your head and not your heart.

Good luck.
Great and very sensible advice!

I thought it was just the kitchen that made the difference of the price but after some research, realised the ocean has many many standard options that cost £1000s on a beach.
Eg, programmble heater £2k, comfort dash £1k, 3 zone air con £850, Exterior pack £500, mf steering wheel, £400, 17 inch wheels £1k, auto lights £300, extra leisure battery £?, 6.33 inch radio £450, and many more and of course the whole kitchen with fridge! Price up a decent dridge from Waeco and thats approx £400. Price up some kitchen pods and there £1000s. If you go with a beach, with minimal options, it can be good value and still offer you a wonderful experience, only when you start adding options its starts getting into ocean money bracket.

I ordered a beach with £1000s of options (approx £8k worth), but will be using it as my main vehicle, school runs, works van so prioristed space over kitchen functions. Also didnt like the thoight of a lovwly kitchen getting bashed up with tools :Nailbiting:Nailbiting:eek:

My SE is my daily drive and used when we both travel, wherever.
Nothing like it pulling over and making your own brew, unless of course you like motorway services, but at least there you can take your drinks to your own “lounge on wheels”.

Beach buying guide.

· Buy Beach.

The residuals are no different they both hold their money well
I
The residuals are no different they both hold their money well
I disagree, you can hold much more money in a Beach!!

The one thing that seems to be missed in all these Beach v Ocean punch ups is the size of the bed.

We bought a Beach because it has a much bigger downstairs bed . End of. Key attribute of a camper is sleeping accommodation and a good night 's sleep is difficult to put a price on.

The one thing that seems to be missed in all these Beach v Ocean punch ups is the size of the bed.

We bought a Beach because it has a much bigger downstairs bed . End of. Key attribute of a camper is sleeping accommodation and a good night 's sleep is difficult to put a price on.
Still find it bizarre theres a Beach v ocean 'whats best' argument. A California badge makes you all winners! Beach or Ocean is merely a more personal side dish to suit your own palate. ;):thumb

I agree.. But I can't sit up with the roof down in a three seat beach! bed is lower on the Ocean.
Whilst the bed is wider I felt a lot more restricted in my old three seat beach because of my height

I agree.. But I can't sit up with the roof down in a three seat beach! bed is lower on the Ocean.
Whilst the bed is wider I felt a lot more restricted in my old three seat beach because of my height

It feels less claustrophobic if you sleep in the lower berth head to front. Somehow the drop in front of you gives the feel of a higher roof.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Please note that the "Two seater bench" Beach model offers still the full width lower bed but at the lower (Ocean style) height.

Back