• Total voters
2into1

2into1

Née T4WFA. Now running 2006 LHD T5 SE 130 Manual
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Almost all the used Beaches for sale seem to have the 3 seater rear bench (that's when the daft VW dealers remember to tell you or include a photo......). I wondered what the ratio was here between the two choices.

Please only vote if you own a Beach or have one on order. Forget extra (middle row) seats.

So far 60% of Beaches are 5 seaters, 40% are 4 seaters. That's closer than I thought!
(And encouraging because I may buy a 4 seater and put a kitchen/ wardrobe in it!)

T4WFA,
Maxxcamp or something else? One thing about this is you still have great flexibility.

T4WFA,
Maxxcamp or something else? One thing about this is you still have great flexibility.

A tricky one! It would probably come down to cost and availability at the time, as I'd need the full set-up (sink fridge, cupboards and wardrobe. I'm not sure how often I'd remove such a big Maxxcamp set-up, but knowing it can easily be done is a plus.
The Cali SE/Ocean side layout seems to be one of the better designs if handled gently. However, the Maxxcamp stuff looks great and I love the simplicity and design. You just have to look at the complexity / overengineering of the hinges on the SE's rear wardrobe to see what I mean. I like to feel as if I could fix stuff in a field with a screwdriver if necessary.

Part of my logic in asking, is wondering if any UK suppliers will offer a package of units (either imported or built themselves). Obviously all current offerings in the UK are for vans with the door on the other side.

And I am actually starting to like the 2seater board. Can pick way more stuff and organize it well. (2 levels of boxes on top)
Had an initial plan to install a classic high multiflex but after a season of trevels left the one I have, just modified the board, made a bit shorter one from a plywood.

You do see the boxes for sale on ebay all the time and if the seat and multiflex was cheaper I might get one of each ;)

It is still 60% for the 3 seater bench, 40% for the 2 seater. Based on those coming up for sale, I expected it to be at least 80 / 20 in favour of the 3 seaters.

I'll be ordering a slidepod for my 3 seat beach in the new year, after tryng one out a couple of times I'm converted.

I went for an instantly available pre-reg'd delivery miler demo so my hand was forced for a 4-seater, rather than a three. Would probably have gone 5-seater if I'd been ordering from scratch, but the underseat tray is fantastic and the side box itself is very useful.

Wasn't really all that fussed & there are pros & cons for both, I can see that I might add some removable furniture at some time. Only disadvantage is the lack of that last seat in case the kids want to bring a friend, but that's a very rare one for me & I could always buy a middle row I guess.

I do like the extra airiness (sp?) and there feels like a lot of space & light back there.

I went for an instantly available pre-reg'd delivery miler demo so my hand was forced for a 4-seater, rather than a three. Would probably have gone 5-seater if I'd been ordering from scratch, but the underseat tray is fantastic and the side box itself is very useful.
If you lived in France I'd happily swap my 5-seat interior for your 4-seat furniture!

If you lived in France I'd happily swap my 5-seat interior for your 4-seat furniture!
For the future usefulness of this thread, does anyone know if it is a straight swap to achieve this? ie are the seat rails etc in the correct position?

I am pretty sure the rails are the same.

We wanted to be able to stretch out and use it like a settee. Couldn't cope with a 2 seater in the back? Especially when you've got 2 kids. Why would anyone want to cook inside and have all that cooking mess and smell in the van? Put your coat on and cook outside?

IMG_6797.JPG

For the future usefulness of this thread, does anyone know if it is a straight swap to achieve this? ie are the seat rails etc in the correct position?
I seem to recall this was done by a previous member on the forum (James). It was in the early days of the Beach. ~ 4 years ago.

We wanted to be able to stretch out and use it like a settee. Couldn't cope with a 2 seater in the back? Especially when you've got 2 kids. Why would anyone want to cook inside and have all that cooking mess and smell in the van? Put your coat on and cook outside?

View attachment 17914
We travel 3-up and sometimes have a requirement to store windsurf gear so it had to be a 2-seat bench for us. If the 3-seat bench offered independently reclining backrests we might have gone down that route.

I have to say the 3-seat bench does look a lot more comfy for travelling than the 2-seat. In our short test drive my wife commented how flat the 2-seat bench was. I guess the upside is its more comfy for sleeping on.

Back