Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Spec & Options

Scorf

Scorf

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I love the diversity of owner opinions expressed on this forum, it really does make me try to see things from an alternative perspective.

With that in mind, and forgive me if I'm just repeating a previously created thread, I genuinely interested in what members consider 'The best option they chose', 'The least useful in ownership' & 'the one they regret not choosing'. I'm also interested in any other comment regarding options in general.....

Coming up on 12 months living with the Bus I'll kick off with.....

BEST OPTION
Close run thing here, the LED headlamps, whilst a ridiculously expensive option, are unbelievably good in day to day (or should that be night to night) use, however I have to say choosing the 17" chassis was the best box I ticked. The brakes are tremendously reassuring, irrespective of situation & load onboard, and especially good when towing. This is probably a boring choice but nonetheless its the one I'm most pleased I chose.

LEAST USEFUL IN OWNERSHIP
One which was chosen by Mrs H, which I may not have bothered with had the choice been entirely down to me..... The 2 extra middle row seats.
Whilst undoubtedly useful occasionally, they are unbelievably heavy & cumbersome to remove & refit, and for the amount of days they are actually truly needed, I would have passed.

THE ONE I REGRET
There are a few actually, but I guess at the time of order you have to draw the line somewhere!
I really regret not choosing auto lights & wipers.... the lights more than anything, I just find myself forgetting as the other vehicles in the household have the facility so I tend to forget when I get in the bus!..... Auto latching side door comes a close 2nd.....

I would just add a couple of comments about other options, again only my opinion.

I have noticed a few forum comments regarding the MFSW & how some view this as a must have. I have experience of this on my daily drive, but never considered it a necessity, certainly not one I was willing to pay extra for, on the bus. Like all things, when you get used to the position of certain controls (cruise control on a stalk) then they become 2nd nature, and no less convenient, certainly no more dangerous than taking your hand off the wheel to take a drink & scratch your nose!

Finally, App connect has proved its worth, we ordered this instead of Discovery Nav, and its worked just as we hoped. In fact the added advantage of being able to set the Nav up before leaving the house is an unexpected boon, along with the convenient space in the comfort dash for the iPhone to sit whilst connect up....

Finally, finally....... did anyone get any options fitted that they didn't ask for / get charged for??
We ended up with an opening window within the sliding side door. Didn't spec it, didn't pay for it (£216 option I seem to remember) but the bus duly turned up with it in situ..... must of had an excess of them on the line that day in Hannover!

ACC the best. We lost the use of it after a collision in Poland and really missed it on the long drive to the UK.

App connect the worst. We hardly ever use it because the Discover Media is so good.

Comfort mattress the biggest regret. We used two other mattresses before buying second hand comfort mattress.

The thing i miss the most from my 1st Beach is the Heated Seats.

Would definitely order LED headlights again.

Don’t miss the interior Light pack.

Could live without the MFSW.

Would definitely order the VW comfort mattress if i could order again.

Agree with the LED lights. Night turns into day! We just upgraded from a 5.1 SE with H7 halogens to an ex-demo 2018 Beach and the contrast in lighting is massive.

In comparison I have the opposite with a MFSW but no stalk controls for adaptive cruise control. Strange.

I remember the wind out awning on the SE being great when camping and I anticipate the same on the Beach.

Tow bar - for trailers and bike racks. Really useful. Not cheap but for the utility they are cheap.

DSG - brilliant for cruising around and makes it far more relaxed in heavy traffic.

That’s my thoughts so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good post, I find the 3 zone climate excellent, it’s one of my fav things. It just deals with whatever it needs too and love the rest function.

Really enjoying heated seats having never had them.

App connect is superb, I know it’s a cable on the T6 but still great.

Ours was a demo van and we didn’t get the upgraded brakes. At least I don’t think we did, I don’t know how to tell for sure. Still, we don’t tow and I find the standard brakes totally fine.

The conti van contact tyres which came with the van however, don’t like those. I’ve got it stuck twice in mud already! Will be changing as soon as can justify. Hoping 235s might cushion the ride more than the 215s I have.

Bought a fully loaded ex-demo so didn't choose the options myself, but upgraded from a more standard T5.1 there are a lot of differences...so

Best option
Tough one, but I'd probably say ACC. First car I've had with it and I love it

The least useful in ownership
The shower at the rear. Was really looking forward to getting this, used it once in two years

The one they regret not choosing
Doesn't really apply as it has pretty much every box ticked.....so instead I'll change it to a wish....I wish it had wireless Apple CarPlay.

Good thread by the way.....looking forward to seeing what people post

Best feature: I would say ACC (and hence DSG). Mr Lemodrop says the parking heater.

Least useful in ownership: I might be persuaded to say the awning. Lovely as it is to have and it does make the van look like a camper, I wonder whether a tarp would do the job just as well?

One I regret not ordering: LED headlights...but the price...o_O

Ours was an in-stock pre-registered with a lot of options - and we have only had it for a week

I love our LEDs, ACC and parking heater - though I need to go to the dealer as the remote control is not paired

I'd have liked the larger brakes, although now the standard ones are bedding in they are working a lot better than at the start.
I'd also have liked the power latching side door - I seem to be the only one that can close it at the moment from the inside

We have the middle row seats, but they will be coming out for any camping trips as it is very difficult to make the bed with them there

Ours was already built and we didn’t get all the spec we would have liked In an ideal world, but it was chosen for the compromise of price and the spec we considered most essential.

best option: LED lights as they are useful every day, but the parking heater is amazing whilst camping.

biggest regret: auto lights and wipers, but power latching sliding door would be next.

least useful: can’t think of one!

Interesting thread. Here's my two penn'rth.

We collected our second seven seat Beach in late October. We would still have the previous one but didn't like what VW had done with the new T6-1. So we decided to go for one of the last T6 Beaches while we still could. Couldn't find the spec we were after so this latest one was a factory order, the first time we have ever done this. I'm afraid to say that between us and our grandkids, who helped us choose the options, there wasn't much we didn't tick. As they were going to spend a lot of time in this van we wanted them to have a sense of ownership.

Options we didn't pick:
1. Flappy paddles - I've had them before and never used them.
2. Lane change assist - It was a lot of money for a flashing light and anyway I've always had a habit of looking over my shoulder when pulling out.
3. Faux leather/alcantara seat coverings - We have waterproof seat covers and didn't see the point in paying all that cash for what effectively are plastic seats only to cover them up.
4. Electric sliding door - It's expensive, complicated, noisy when in use and IMO pointless.

Best Options: Having had one T6 seven seat manual Beach we knew what we wanted on our new one:
1. DSG - Nothing wrong with the manual box but the dsg is utterly gorgeous to drive. Had it before and loved it.
2. LED headlights - Previous Beach had basic H4s. They were next to useless. The LEDs are brilliant.
3. Parking heater - having had it before we weren't going to leave that off the list. Amazing. Best option IMO.
4. ACC - Still getting to grips with this. Very impressive.
5. Soft closing - It reduces the annoying late night Cali swish bang signature noise.
6. 3 Zone Climatronic - Essential with little ones in the back. Hot weather would be unpleasant without it.
7. Two extra swivel seats - Not used a lot but never the less essential.
8. VW Comfort Mattress - "comfort" is an overstatement however it does provide an essential flat base to build a comfortable bed on.
9. 17" Brakes - Superb. The standard 16" brakes aren't bad but good brakes are essential so better to have the best.
10. Awning: Use it all year round. It just ain't a Cali without it.

Least useful in ownership:
1. Turning fog lights - They are OK but I'm not sure if I'd notice if they were stolen.
2. App Connect - Mrs B's and the grandchildren's department. I could happily live without it.

The one I regret :
1. Nothing.

Options that have surprised me:
1. Main beam assist - I had heard mixed reviews about this option but I can honestly say that it is very very good. Activate it and forget it. It does exactly as it should and instantly dips the instant another car pops into sight so no dazzling anyone else. Along with the dsg and LEDs it makes for very relaxed night time driving.
2. The rear speaker thingy - I didn't have this on our previous Beach. Now when I say something everyone can hear me without my raising my voice. The jury is out on the voice recognition command element of this option as I haven't bothered to work out just how that works yet. I've had this function on other vehicles and have never been able to make it work satisfactorily. Reading the hand book might help I suppose.

All the other options work as they should and are all used. We are all extremely pleased with the overall package and there isn't really anything that we regret ordering. As VW don't appear to want to supply the Beach to the UK market anymore I am delighted we took the decision to buy this T6 when we did. VW closed the order books less than a month after we put our deposit down. :)

May I present Moonlight Bus. Grandchildren's idea.
20200207_205149.jpg

Last edited:

We collected our second seven seat Beach in late October. We would still have the previous one but didn't like what VW had done with the new T6-1. So we decided to go for one of the last T6 Beaches while we still could. Couldn't find the spec we were after so this latest one was a factory order, the first time we have ever done this. I'm afraid to say that between us and our grandkids, who helped us choose the options, there wasn't much we didn't tick. As they were going to spend a lot of time in this van we wanted them to have a sense of ownership.

Options we didn't pick:
2. Lane change assist - It was a lot of money for a flashing light and anyway I've always had a habit of looking over my shoulder when pulling out.
3. Faux leather/alcantara seat coverings - We have waterproof seat covers and didn't see the point in paying all that cash for what effectively are plastic seats only to cover them up.
4. Electric sliding door - It's expensive, complicated, noisy when in use and IMO pointless.

Best Options: Having had one T6 seven seat manual Beach we knew what we wanted on our new one:
1. DSG - Nothing wrong with the manual box but the dsg is utterly gorgeous to drive. Had it before and loved it.
2. LED headlights - Previous Beach had basic H4s. They were next to useless. The LEDs are brilliant.
3. Parking heater - having had it before we weren't going to leave that off the list. Amazing. Best option IMO.
5. Soft closing - It reduces the annoying late night Cali swish bang signature noise.
6. 3 Zone Climatronic - Essential with little ones in the back. Hot weather would be unpleasant without it.
8. VW Comfort Mattress - "comfort" is an overstatement however it does provide an essential flat base to build a comfortable bed on.
9. 17" Brakes - Superb. The standard 16" brakes aren't bad but good brakes are essential so better to have the best.

1. Turning fog lights - They are OK but I'm not sure if I'd notice if they were stolen.
2. App Connect - Mrs B's and the grandchildren's department. I could happily live without it.

The one I regret :
1. Nothing.

1. Main beam assist - I had heard mixed reviews about this option but I can honestly say that it is very very good. Activate it and forget it. It does exactly as it should and instantly dips the instant another car pops into sight so no dazzling anyone else. Along with the dsg and LEDs it makes for very relaxed night time driving.
2. The rear speaker thingy - I didn't have this on our previous Beach. Now when I say something every ond can hear me without my raising my voice. The jury is out on the voice recognition command element if this option as I haven't bothered to work out just how that works yet. I've had this function on other vehicles and have never been able to make it work satisfactorily. Reading the hand book might help I suppose.

All the other options work as they should and are all used. We are all extremely pleased with the overall package and there isn't really anything that we regret ordering. As VW don't appear to want to supply the Beach to the UK market anymore I am delighted we took the decision to buy this T6 when we did. VW closed the order books less than a month after we put our deposit down. :)

View attachment 55042

Love that colour scheme Borris, I agree with you on the high beam assist. Came in our ex demo van, would never have ticked it. My technophobe wife uses it and loves it. That’s really surprised me. I’d choose it on my next car/van.

I had mainbeam assist on my old car - I miss it on the beach!
I also miss the speed limiter function and the road sign assist (had become lazy, now need to make sure I observe more)

Options we didn't pick:

The one I regret :
1. Nothing.

2. The rear speaker thingy - I didn't have this on our previous Beach. Now when I say something every ond can hear me without my raising my voice. The jury is out on the voice recognition command element if this option as I haven't bothered to work out just how that works yet. I've had this function on other vehicles and have never been able to make it work satisfactorily. Reading the hand book might help I suppose.

View attachment 55042
The Beach always looks better with the full chrome grille and i think the chrome pack looks great

The Beach always looks better with the full chrome grille and i think the chrome pack looks great
Yes, I agree. I've always felt the Beach looks a bit "van ordinaire" so I've dressed this one up a bit with some twinkly bits. Mind you that wasn't cheap as the chrome pack wasn't available on the Beach options list. I had to order the individual chrome pack items from the dealer's parts department. Fortunately they did give me a 10% discount on everything including the side pipes but even so the total price was eye watering compared to the cost of the factory chrome pack option. Unfortunately, twas forever thus as that's how they make their profit!

I did fit everything myself with the exception of the front grill and the side pipes. The whole front bumper has to come off to fit the grill and that's a right old fiddle that requires two persons.

Some may say why spend all that cash on jewellery? Well being the first and probably the only factory order we are ever likely to own we decided to have exactly what we wanted this time.

Last edited:
Love that colour scheme Borris, I agree with you on the high beam assist. Came in our ex demo van, would never have ticked it. My technophobe wife uses it and loves it. That’s really surprised me. I’d choose it on my next car/van.

Yes, it's lovely isn't it. However it wasn't really our idea. Actually we favoured having Acapulco Blue again. However we including the grandkids in the choosing process to give them a sense of ownership and to teach them about democracy in action. We were out voted.

Actually they stopped that colour scheme less than two weeks after we ordered.

We have the middle row seats, but they will be coming out for any camping trips as it is very difficult to make the bed with them there
When sleeping downstairs with all 7 seats in, I use @Amarillo ‘s trick: fold the 3 seat bench and second row seats forward into table position and then throw the comfort mattress on top. Super easy and leaves much more foot room with the bed made.

Back