Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach Spec

Grant Foster

Grant Foster

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi -

We are planning to buy a Beach, but with a long lead time, are looking at nearly-new options, in order to get the van in time for summer.

As background, we have a 3 year old, and are planning to use the Beach for long weekends / short trips. We also intend to use the beach as a second family car (replacing our current SUV). We initially looked at the Ocean but didn't think we would make too much use of the sink or stove, although we will need to buy a fridge/cooler of some sort.

While we are likely to use the Beach for trips mainly in the summer / warmer months, it would be nice to have the option to use when it is colder as well, and might possibly do ski weekends in Scotland / France for example.

I'm a little confused how the electricity points differ between the Ocean and Beach, I guess usage would be fridge/cooler, imac/ipad/iphones, kettle. I may be missing other usage? but does the Beach suffice for these things?

I found a Beach for sale with the following spec. I was just wondering whether there is anything essential missing please?

is the 3-seater bench basically a 3rd row of seating? I'm assuming is this for larger families? i guess it might be useful to taking guests with us, but assumably it takes up valuable storage room? does it also impact on the bed?

Many thanks
Grant

• Driver Convenience
  • Leather Multi-Function Steering Whee
  • Cruise-Control
  • Power Steering
  • Height Adjustable Steering Wheel
  • Rear Wash Wipe
  • Front & Rear Parking Sensors
  • Lights & Vision Package
  • Front & Rear Mud Flaps
  • Awning (Housing And Rail In Black)
  • Entertainment
  • DAB Radio
  • Discover Media Navigation System Plus
  • Bluetooth With Wi-Fi Connectivity
  • Exterior Features
  • 16" Alloy Wheels
  • Tow Bar Preparation
  • Electric Foldable Door Mirrors
  • Tailgate
  • Green Heat Insulating Glass In Cab With Privacy Glass
  • Interior Features
  • Dual Control Climate Air Conditioning
  • Front Seat Armrests
  • Electric Windows
  • Heated Front Seats
  • Single Passenger Seat
  • Programmable Parking Heater (Air) With Radio Remote
  • Miscellaneous
  • Comfort Dashboard Package
  • Safety
  • ABS Brakes
  • Air Bags
  • Traction Control
  • Security
  • 3-Seater Bench (Movable) With Reclining Seat Mechanism
  • Bed Extension With Comfort Sleeping Mattress
  • 2 Swivel Seats With Longitudinal Adjustment On Rails

The three seater bench has less storage than a two seater, and allows for two, rather than one extra middle seat.
You still get a lower bed.
Overall, quite a good spec, depends what you're after.

Grant
That is a good spec and is basically the same as ours that we bought last year having had an SE for 3 years prior. If you have decided to definitely buy one then get it quick as it won't be there for long this time of year.
The 3 seat bench is your main rear seating and also coverts into the bed. Confusing that they call it the 3rd row but that's what it is if you have the 2 removable seats in place. You would probably remove the 2 quite quickly if you only have 1 child as this creates far more useable space.
The beach has 1 x 3 pin 240v socket the same as the SE / ocean and we don't find we need more if plugged into hook up as you can use the 12v's as well. You can always use a multi plug extension if you want fridge plus gadgets plugged in. Important to realise you can't use the 240v without hookup if you weren't already aware. I don't see hookup on the spec so check it definitely has it. It should be standard but there was talk on the forum a while ago about it being removed from the standard kit in Europe.
It has the all important parking heater and the only thing things we have that aren't mentioned are ACC and DSG but these are personal choice anyway.
A proper fridge is definitely useful, we have a Waeco cfx40 which we find is more than a match for the built in ones in the SE / ocean other than the space it takes up. Just got 3 nights / 2 days out of the battery over this last weekend with the fridge plugged in.
My wife uses ours as a daily driver as she did with the old SE and finds the beach a bit easier overall as well as less heavy on tyre wear - fronts were shot after 14k consistently on the SE (we got through 3 sets) where as the beach has just done 14k and still has about 50% remaining.
We switched to a beach for several reasons - warranty up on SE, 50k on SE, need for extra seating to take additional teenage girls, not using the cooker and sink. It's working so far for us after 40 or so nights away.

If I had only one very little one I would not want a three seat Beach, even with two kids the same. Loads of previous topics on this on the forum but in short the two seat Beach has always been more of a cut down camper, day van etc and is very adaptable with room for a kitchen pod, storage units etc. In comparison the three seater is more of an MPV that you can sleep in. Unless you need to shift lots of people then I'd avoid a three seater. You can always add a third seat to yours if needed now and again that is removable, about £350.

I can't find the link now but Matt or Owen have posted lots on this in the past. From my experience the two seat Beach with kitchen pod or without and then with the storage box/seat gives so much room and flexibility. Even with a kitchen pod you have the advantage of a full width bed only where you really need it - at elbow/head position. Narrower where your legs go which is no issue.

I fitted a kitchen pod on ours which was useful but next time I would go simpler, search the IKEA Alex topic.

You can mod the inflexible Multiflex board easily to enable access from inside, again search for this.

I have put together a large folder of two seater Beach pics - collected many over the years! Showing bed set ups, kitchen pods etc (mine and others). Hopefully this will help Grant and others interested in the two seat option.

Check the pics as it can be hard to find two seat demo beaches - the vast majority of dealers never spec them.

https://goo.gl/photos/cDqHF9rgDZ9qho4L7

Regarding electrics then your 240v facility is obviously only usable when hooked up on a campsite. In this scenario you can use a small fan heater for warmth but really if contemplating ski trips you will need a diesel fuelled Eberspacher as standard on Ocean, optional on Beach or retrofit around £1k. Personally given your use I'd do this and fit solar for full independence come summer or winter - this really fits the Beach 'life' for me. :)

EDIT - useful topic here on comparing 2 v 3 etc:

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/vw-california-beach-seating-and-bed-options.14486/

And here on cooking in a Beach:

Cooking assistance in Beach

Last edited:
Unless you are prepared to wait 20+ minutes for a 12 volt kettle to boil, you cannot use an electric kettle with the Beach unless on hookup.
does it also impact on the bed?
The 3 seat bench beach gives an enormous 150cm wide bed with various length options, including 160, 180 and 200 cm if you use the additional seats. Our current favourite is the 150 x 180 option with the two additional seats removed. With the bed lowered there is a huge storage capacity under the bed, but it is completely inaccessible from inside, you need to leave the van and open the boot door. A good place to stow child seats overnight. Headroom in the 3 seat bench beach is noticeably less than the 2 seat bench version.

Yep, all quite confusing to begin with.

The only electric you'd have in a layby or wild camp spot is 12V cigar lighter to charge a phone or plug in a light. If you want to boil a kettle via the three pin plug socket you'd need to be on hook-up at a campsite.

Most people with a Beach have a one or two ring portable gas camping stove.

A Waeco type fridge will run off the leisure batteries for two/three days & you could add solar panels if you need more / indefinite.

My Beach didn't have a factory heater so I had a diesel Eberspacher retro fitted under the drivers seat - makes all the difference to usability & is the only real essential in UK.

Just to say that the width of the downstairs bed is the same regardless of whether you have a 2 or 3 seat bench

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

The width of the bed is obviously wider with the 3 seater bench, you don't have the storage pod on the LHS. The bench seat folds flat and forms your bed. Three seater full width of van 2 seater around 2/3rds.

The width of the bed is obviously wider with the 3 seater bench, you don't have the storage pod on the LHS. The bench seat folds flat and forms your bed. Three seater full width of van 2 seater around 2/3rds.
The 2 seater bench Beach uses the top of the storage pod to form part of the bed, giving the same width bed, with greater headroom. It lacks the same flexibility over the length of the bed, and the extra headroom means a smaller storage area below, but, of course, the storage pod is accessible from within the cabin area, albeit by moving whatever mattress and other bedding is being used.

Just a quick follow up:

1. With the parking heater included, does the Beach have the same heating capabilities as the Ocean (regardless of whether hooked up in camping side or on road side)? Related question, I assume the top bed (where my son will sleep) will be equally insulated and warm in either the beach or ocean?

2. I read on one thread that an advantage of the Ocean is that one can park up anywhere and have a cup of tea! I assume this is because it has a gas stove? I guess both the Ocean and Beach would need to be hooked up in order to use the 240V plug and a regular kettle? Is that right?

3. the beach comes with a leisure battery correct? does this charge as the van is driving? I don't really understand how the leisure battery works. what does it power up when the van isn't hooked up on campsite?

Sorry for the beginner questions. this forum is invaluable, thank you!

Thanks
Grant

Rather than clog up things here I have put together a large folder of two seater Beach pics - collected many over the years! Showing bed set ups, kitchen pods etc (mine and others). Hopefully this will help Grant and others interested in the two seat option.

Check the pics as it can be hard to find two seat demo beaches - the vast majority of dealers never spec them.

Your Q's:

1. Yes re' heater, but the roof bed is effectively a canvas tent and significantly colder.

2. Beach owners use cartridge cookers or similar.

Cooking assistance in Beach

3. Leisure battery provides extra 12v power for lights, charging phones, powering a fridge or other accessories etc. Generally around 2 - 4 days before dying.

Last edited:
4. I've read the beach can also be used as a 7 seater. excuse my ignorance but how does that work? as I understand it, the choice is the 2 seater + driver / passenger seat (=4) or 3 seater + 2 up front (=5). is there an optional 3rd row or something? thank you!

Grant:

1. Yes re' heater, but the roof bed is effectively a canvas tent and significantly colder.

3. Leisure battery provides extra 12v power for lights, charging phones, powering a fridge or other accessories etc. Generally around 2 - 4 days before dying.

I have put together a large folder of two seater Beach pics - collected many over the years! Showing bed set ups, kitchen pods etc (mine and others).

Thanks Max. The roof bed in the Beach is exactly the same as the Ocean correct? or are you saying the Beach version is significantly less insulated?

I have put together a large folder of two seater Beach pics - collected many over the years! Showing bed set ups, kitchen pods etc (mine and others).

Your Q's:

Re 2, so the fridge would power from a 12V socket? does the leisure battery power up as you are driving? otherwise how is it charged? thank you

1. With the parking heater included, does the Beach have the same heating capabilities as the Ocean (regardless of whether hooked up in camping side or on road side)? Related question, I assume the top bed (where my son will sleep) will be equally insulated and warm in either the beach or ocean?
Yes and yes.

If your son is under four I would strongly suggest he sleep downstairs, or upstairs with an adult. There is a good safety net, but I would not want to trust this with either of my son's ages 2 and 3. Upstairs can be significantly colder than downstairs depending on outside temperature and wind.

2. I read on one thread that an advantage of the Ocean is that one can park up anywhere and have a cup of tea! I assume this is because it has a gas stove? I guess both the Ocean and Beach would need to be hooked up in order to use the 240V plug and a regular kettle? Is that right?
Absolutely correct. 12 volt kettles are available but they are slow and will drain a large portion of your battery. Gas is best for making a cup of tea. Thermos flasks work equally well in the Beach and Ocean

3. the beach comes with a leisure battery correct? does this charge as the van is driving? I don't really understand how the leisure battery works. what does it power up when the van isn't hooked up on campsite?
The Beach comes with a single leisure battery, the Ocean comes with two. With the engine running the starter battery will charge and the leisure batter(y)(ies) will trickle charge. On hookup the leisure batter(y)(ies) will charge and the engine battery will trickle charge.

The Ocean also comes with an inverter and 240 volt Euro socket - I will have to pass on explaining how this works and how it might be used as I do not have the necessary knowledge to explain with any authority.

4. I've read the beach can also be used as a 7 seater. excuse my ignorance but how does that work? as I understand it, the choice is the 2 seater + driver / passenger seat (=4) or 3 seater + 2 up front (=5). is there an optional 3rd row or something? thank you!
As a six or seven seater the additional seats (usually) go behind the driver and front passenger seats, with the bench moved right back.

I say usually because you can do some very weird set ups in the 3 seat bench Beach, including two single seats behind the front passenger seat and the Bench moved fully back with the multiflex removed.
IMG_2438.JPG

As a six or seven seater the additional seats (usually) go behind the driver and front passenger seats, with the bench moved right back.

I say usually because you can do some very weird set ups in the 3 seat bench Beach, including two single seats behind the front passenger seat and the Bench moved fully back with the multiflex removed.
View attachment 21217

Thanks for the photo. I guess need to visit a VW showroom to understand how it works. I still can't get my head round how the 3 seat bench converts into 5 seats as shown in this picture.

The three seater bench has less storage than a two seater, and allows for two, rather than one extra middle seat.
You still get a lower bed.
Overall, quite a good spec, depends what you're after.
and more space under the multiflex board...

Also worth knowing that the 2 seat bed is generally considered more comfortable than the 3 seat. The 2 seat is basically the same as the SE bed, the 3 seat is more like a car seat that folds into a bed. In my humble opinion the 3 seat needs a mattress topper to be comfortable. The 3 seat headrests also need taking off (do the 2 seat ones push down into the seat?) before you can use it as a bed. We tend to leave them at home when camping if we don't have passengers.

We sleep upstairs though and tend to leave the downstairs as is...

Last edited:
Yes and yes.

If your son is under four I would strongly suggest he sleep downstairs, or upstairs with an adult. There is a good safety net, but I would not want to trust this with either of my son's ages 2 and 3. Upstairs can be significantly colder than downstairs depending on outside temperature and wind.

Absolutely correct. 12 volt kettles are available but they are slow and will drain a large portion of your battery. Gas is best for making a cup of tea. Thermos flasks work equally well in the Beach and Ocean

The Beach comes with a single leisure battery, the Ocean comes with two. With the engine running the starter battery will charge and the leisure batter(y)(ies) will trickle charge. On hookup the leisure batter(y)(ies) will charge and the engine battery will trickle charge.

The Ocean also comes with an inverter and 240 volt Euro socket - I will have to pass on explaining how this works and how it might be used as I do not have the necessary knowledge to explain with any authority.

Thanks. Re the leisure battery, the fact that the Ocean comes with two is only a benefit if you expect to be without a hook up for more than 3-4 days? And sorry what does trickle charge mean? if you were driving for say an hour, very roughly speaking, what % of the battery would recharge? thanks

Thanks for the photo. I guess need to visit a VW showroom to understand how it works. I still can't get my head round how the 3 seat bench converts into 5 seats as shown in this picture.

Grant - I think you're getting confused by all the options understandably ;) - have a look back at earlier posts and the pics linked, also in the Beach section of the forum there are loads of previous topics on the choices that might help more.

In either model you choose a two seat OR a three seat bench. See the folder I linked for two seat set ups.

You can then ADD extra single seats that slot in and out of the rails which Amarillo has pictured - the three seat bench slid right back with two additional single seats added in front.

With only one child though not sure why you'd want all the extra seats! ;)

PS: I added a link to earlier posts for cooker ideas in a Beach.

Grant - I think you're getting confused by all the options understandably ;) - have a look back at earlier posts and the pics linked, also in the Beach section of the forum there are loads of previous topics on the choices that might help more.

In either model you choose a two seat OR a three seat bench. See the folder I linked for two seat set ups.

You can then ADD extra single seats that slot in and out of the rails which Amarillo has pictured - the three seat bench slid right back with two additional single seats added in front.

With only one child though not sure why you'd want all the extra seats! ;)
OK got it, thanks!

Then you get into the options for temporary camper addons. I managed for over a year with a cadac, a small can stove and the beach table :) but I wanted more.

Slidepods, Maxx Camp, or amazing homemade examples such as Max-Felix or reserves ikea Alex conversion.

So versatile these vans got to love them. This is my slidepod
6230cadee86baceda4b088c4ec9456a8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks. Re the leisure battery, the fact that the Ocean comes with two is only a benefit if you expect to be without a hook up for more than 3-4 days? And sorry what does trickle charge mean? if you were driving for say an hour, very roughly speaking, what % of the battery would recharge? thanks

The Ocean has a handy display so you know the battery condition, the beach you either fit one or use something in the 12v socket to inform you. There was (still is?) an option to get a second leisure battery on the beach, most don't take it.

When on hookup there is a built in battery charger, although driving will get the battery close to full, only a proper charger can get it to max capacity. VW recommend putting the van on hookup for 24 hours once a month to ensure the batteries are charged to max.

Most things you will use in a beach will be relatively low amp useage, lights etc and your battery should last quite some time. A fridge would be heaviest use item you would use I expect and the use depends on which model and what the temperature is.

Usual beach battery is 68 amp hours but there are other options. Second battery will effectively double your capacity yes.

View attachment 21217
That's an interesting seat setup. I don't want to be a party pooper but it does raise some interesting questions:

1. Weight distribution in an accident situation - With all that weight on one side of the vehicle how would the vehicle behave if you need to brake hard especially on a slippery road surface? Added to the camber of UK roads it may cause some unpleasant driving characteristics that you'd probably only find out about in an emergency.
2. I don't know if VW would have designed or tested the Cali with that seat configuration in mind. As far as I can see, the only seat configurations mentioned by them for the Beach appear to be the 2-0-2, 2-1-2, 2-0-3, 2-1-3 and 2-2-3 setups. Whilst I haven't read anything so far that says that you cannot use the the 2-1-1-3 seat setup, it puts an extra loading on the near side floor rail system in the event if an accident. Would it cope?
3. If you use a vehicle outside of the manufacturers design recommendations it could effect any insurance claim should an accident occur.

It might be worth an Email to VW to confirm that it's ok before continuing.

Sorry I've gone a bit off topic but I think it's an important issue.

Last edited:
Back