Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach specs

C

Criminallyvulgar

Vehicle
Just browsing
We've finally decided to buy a beach (just couldn't justify the stretch to an Ocean)

What would you guys say were the must haves for a beach to be a good camper?

I assume privacy glass is a must. Any other tips

If you have kids seat covers. Heater. Vanessa window bags and awning sides.

For the camping:
parking heater
privacy glass

For the drive experience:
LED headlights- although perhaps the new ordinary 6.1 lights are better than the T6.
parking sensors

Hello Criminallyvulgar,
You would probably find the basic T6 Beach highly enjoyable however to get the most out of this vehicle you need to consider the following when considering which van to buy:

1. Do I drive much at night? If the answer is yes then you will need better headlights. The standard H4 offerings are abysmal. Look for one with the upgraded H7 headlights or better still LEDs. The H7s were offered as part of a package - Exterior Package if memory recalls, so they are out there.

2. How many people am I likely to want to carry? The Beach comes in two forms, the two seat rear bench version and one with a three seater instead. The first can carry up to five persons if you add an extra swivel seat and the three seater bench version, up to seven with two swivels. If you find a Beach you like that doesn't have swivels then they often come up for sale on here and Ebay. However they are heavy and you will need somewhere to store them when not in the vehicle. With the two seat version you get more headroom when either sitting or in bed mode but reduced storage under the so called multiflex board in the boot. You will also get a handy under bench storage drawer and a long storage cabinet the runs down the nearside of the rear cabin. The three seat bench version gives less headroom but has three storage drawers under the bench and much better storage capacity under a much more flexible multiflex board in the boot.
IMO if it's maximum flexability that you're after then go for the three seat bench version. If you do choose that version then you must get one with the VW Comfort mattress included. The underside mirrors the undulations in the bench seats creating a perfectly flat bed when the downstairs is in sleeping mode. Without one it's horrid to sleep on.

4. Do I want to use it all year round as a campervan? Even if you don't, the parking heater option including remote control will turn your Beach into a different vehicle. Whilst is isn't essential, I wouldn't contemplate buying one without this option. You will be able to go anywhere at any time and be warm and comfortable when parked up. Pure luxury.

5. Am I likely to carry people including kids in the rear that often? If you are then it's worth finding a Beach with 3 Zone Climatronic Air Con. There are lots of windows in these vans and they can get very hot in the summer. Your passengers will thank you for providing this option. This option is also very useful all year round. It is a great device for de-misting.

These are the main issues to consider. Get these right and you won't go wrong with a Beach. All the other options are nice but IMO, not must haves - e.g do you really need privacy glass when you have blinds on all windows in the rear?

Last edited:
We've finally decided to buy a beach (just couldn't justify the stretch to an Ocean)

Our first decision was 2 or 3 seats in the rear, we went for 2 which was definitely the right decision for us. We definitely wanted a heater, climate control air con, tinted windows (we got dealer to pay for this) would have liked LED lights but couldn’t justify the cost as we do minimal night driving.
Additions after purchase we wouldn’t be without are, Cali Cap sliding drawer for the boot, Vanessa window bag, Alpkit Brukit stove (we already had Ridge Monkey & cooking equipment from our Landcruiser) Rainbow front & rear screen covers.

Our first decision was 2 or 3 seats in the rear, we went for 2 which was definitely the right decision for us. We definitely wanted a heater, climate control air con, tinted windows (we got dealer to pay for this) would have liked LED lights but couldn’t justify the cost as we do minimal night driving.
Additions after purchase we wouldn’t be without are, Cali Cap sliding drawer for the boot, Vanessa window bag, Alpkit Brukit stove (we already had Ridge Monkey & cooking equipment from our Landcruiser) Rainbow front & rear screen covers.
I agree, when it comes to after market accessories the three that compliment the Beach perfectly are:

1. A pull out boot tray. This device makes life so much simpler. Everything in the boot is instantly accessible with no need to pull everything out to get at something right at the back.

2. Vanessa WIndow Bags. You can put every thing in these, wash bags, smalls, clothes, keys, head torches etc and all instantly accessible without getting out of bed.

3. I would also add a topper to this list, either internal or external. For ease of use I prefer the Isotop by Brandrup. This is the fit and forget solution. I also have a Caliwrap which is also excellent.

Thanks so much guys.

Is a comfort mattress able to be bought from VW if it doesn't come with the van?

I agree, when it comes to after market accessories the three that compliment the Beach perfectly are:

1. A pull out boot tray. This device makes life so much simpler. Everything in the boot is instantly accessible with no need to pull everything out to get at something right at the back.

2. Vanessa WIndow Bags. You can put every thing in these, wash bags, smalls, clothes, keys, head torches etc and all instantly accessible without getting out of bed.

3. I would also add a topper to this list, either internal or external. For ease of use I prefer the Isotop by Brandrup. This is the fit and forget solution. I also have a Caliwrap which is also excellent.
Spot on Boris, we have the Isotop, I should have mentioned that :)

Thanks so much guys.

Is a comfort mattress able to be bought from VW if it doesn't come with the van?
Yes it is available to purchase, however we would suggest giving a lot of consideration to the options v VW comfort mattress purchase. Some people find it isn’t comfortable whilst it suits some fine. Do a search there are lots of threads which are worth reading.

Thanks so much guys.

I believe it is. If you do a search on here someone posted the code for it recently.

Agree with the posts above. We bought our 3 seat beach without the extra swivels and I just picked two up on eBay for cheaper than I would have paid from new.

Parking heater we do not have. I found a van with everything I wanted except that but I plan to retro fit one for about £1000 all in when I get round to it. So far I’ve only felt the need for a parking heater once or twice but we don’t camp all year round as with small kids it’s just a bit miserable when it’s cold and wet.

Things to watch out for-

Parking sensors are not standard and are essential!

The multi flex board which forms the head end of the bed is essential and I’ve seen vans advertised without it. These are very expensive to buy from VW

Awning again not standard but it transforms the van when camping. Can retrofit but not cheap.

Cruise control not standard and something high on most people’s tick list. Can be retrofitted but only basic version

App connect is a good one to have if you can find it. Better so than the built in sat nav.

If you have kids in the back as Borris says above. 3 zone AC is brilliant.

Take your time to buy extra things, see what you need lots of folks buy a lot of kit and then sell it when they don’t use it or can’t get on with it.

Alp kit brukit for tea making. Very nearly as quick as an electric kettle at home. Maybe quicker actually?!

Get some boxes from really useful boxes and organise your gear that way. Works well for us.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it is available to purchase, however we would suggest giving a lot of consideration to the options v VW comfort mattress purchase. Some people find it isn’t comfortable whilst it suits some fine. Do a search there are lots of threads which are worth reading.
Yes good point. To call it a "Comfort Mattress" is a bit of a misnomer. Some, including me, do find it rather on the hard side but it's strength is that it provides a good flat base on top of which you can add something softer. We use thin-ish self inflating mattress thingys. You could use something else instead of the Comfort Mattress but it wouldn't have the mirroring feature so probably wouldn't end up being as flat.

Can recommend the below memory foam mattress, as it’s super comfy. It came with our van but I couldn’t tell you who made it as unable to find a label!

5CDDEA87-70EB-48C9-893B-1FFABECE580D.jpeg49786C80-53D2-47DB-B46B-7188744C7E3A.jpeg54BCDAEA-EF95-48DD-9511-F386FF00C7DB.jpeg

I believe it is. If you do a search on here someone posted the code for it recently.

Agree with the posts above. We bought our 3 seat beach without the extra swivels and I just picked two up on eBay for cheaper than I would have paid from new.

Parking heater we do not have. I found a van with everything I wanted except that but I plan to retro fit one for about £1000 all in when I get round to it. So far I’ve only felt the need for a parking heater once or twice but we don’t camp all year round as with small kids it’s just a bit miserable when it’s cold and wet.

Things to watch out for-

Parking sensors are not standard and are essential!

The multi flex board which forms the head end of the bed is essential and I’ve seen vans advertised without it. These are very expensive to buy from VW

Awning again not standard but it transforms the van when camping. Can retrofit but not cheap.

Cruise control not standard and something high on most people’s tick list. Can be retrofitted but only basic version

App connect is a good one to have if you can find it. Better so than the built in sat nav.

If you have kids in the back as Borris says above. 3 zone AC is brilliant.

Take your time to buy extra things, see what you need lots of folks buy a lot of kit and then sell it when they don’t use it or can’t get on with it.

Alp kit brukit for tea making. Very nearly as quick as an electric kettle at home. Maybe quicker actually?!

Get some boxes from really useful boxes and organise your gear that way. Works well for us.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The point about the awning is very important. I had one dealer fitted to my previous ex demo Beach and it cost me around £900 from memory. A factory fitted one would have cost half that so best to find a Beach with one already fitted. They are very useful all year round but don't use in strong winds. ALWAYS make sure its properly secured down.

Parking sensors, parking heater, awning.

We have 3 seat bench and extra 2 swivel seats. Brilliant set up with children. We have the middle seats facing backwards most of the time- conference style like a limo. So much space and kids don't argue about sitting in the front- all the rear seats are equally desirable!

Be aware that the correct 3 Seater Beach Comfort mattress is approx £600 aftermarket from VW. This is fairly essential as it flattens out the uneven Beach Bed. I just have a Comfortz one and its ok for a few days but far from perfect.

Even an optionless Beach is a superb camping vehicle.

For sleeping downstairs you will probably want a mattress on the seat. We've extensively tested two, and now have a third.
#1 Ikea Talgje £80
#2 Brandrup iExtend £480
#3 VW Comfort mattress

The Talgje fits well, but is thin and you still feel the lumps and bumps. We used this for about 80 consecutive nights and is was fine.

The iExtend is a great product, fits perfectly, but is probably designed for the 2 seat bench version as it doesn't lie completely flat. We used this for about 240 nearly consecutive nights, interspersed with about 40 nights in self-catering accommodation.

The VW comfort mattress lies completely flat, but is hard.

We now use the VW comfort mattress with the Talgje on top for the best night's sleep in the van to date.

Many people will say the night heater is a must have. I disagree. I have slept perfectly comfortably in a tent in sub zero temperatures, on snow, in a tent. All you need is insulation from the ground (irrelevant in a California), a good four season sleeping bag and a wooly hat. You can always pull on a fleece if you are still cold. That said, the parking heater is a lovely luxury. If you only intend to camp with hook up you can replicate the luxury at a fraction of the cost with a small electric heater.

You can replicate the awning with a tarp at a fraction of the cost of the VW wind out canopy.

The internal lighting upgrade gives you five very useful extra lights with a dimming function. Three in the roof and two in the tailgate. We love them.

I think that those four options: mattress, parking heater, awning and comfort lighting are the only camping upgrades for the Beach. All the other options are to do with driving or styling.

Of these, DSG, ACC and multifunction steering wheel work together in perfect and seamless harmony.

The reversing camera and parking sensors make parking easier - but with experience they become less and less useful. If choosing one, I'd pick the camera.

Headlights are a bit confusing for the Beach. There are three options: H4, H7, LED. H4's are sufficient but no more. LEDs are superb but expensive. The H7 option is concealed in the lights and vision package and is what we would have chosen over the LEDs had we known.

3 zone climatronic is superb and expensive. It gives you a 2nd evaporator and passengers have their own controls. I recently drove from south London to Alnwick for a wedding with my wife, brother and sister-in-law. I had my driver's zone temperature at 18, as I always do, my wife was at 20, and in the back they had 22 and slept most of the way there and most of the way back.

Agree with this. I have Boris's old Beach. Compromise for me was the manual, but it has been useful in sub optimal traction conditions as I grew up knowing how to manage these things!

One thing I'd add about the heater. It's not just for sleeping...
I ride mtb and road. The Beach helps me to ride more often year round as when i get back from a ride, or walk, cold, wet, I can get in and in short order change, with friends or family in comfort, privacy and warm up without running the engine and have a brew. IT makes all the difference for me. Also just for a cosy night in with a film.

I wish it had LED's. Struggling to justify the retro fit for the amount of night driving I do at £3.5k. The beam on ours with upgraded bulbs is fine but dip woeful. I use the fogs often. So thinking of LED fogs to enhance the immediate road. I may yet stump for the LED's though as more and more places turn street lights off.

Agree with this. I have Boris's old Beach. Compromise for me was the manual, but it has been useful in sub optimal traction conditions as I grew up knowing how to manage these things!

One thing I'd add about the heater. It's not just for sleeping...
I ride mtb and road. The Beach helps me to ride more often year round as when i get back from a ride, or walk, cold, wet, I can get in and in short order change, with friends or family in comfort, privacy and warm up without running the engine and have a brew. IT makes all the difference for me. Also just for a cosy night in with a film.

I wish it had LED's. Struggling to justify the retro fit for the amount of night driving I do at £3.5k. The beam on ours with upgraded bulbs is fine but dip woeful. I use the fogs often. So thinking of LED fogs to enhance the immediate road. I may yet stump for the LED's though as more and more places turn street lights off.
Hi Phil, I'm glad to hear you are enjoying Bluebell?
Best wishes
Paul

Hi Phil, I'm glad to hear you are enjoying Bluebell?
Best wishes
Paul
We are indeed Boris, I thought I’d miss the comfort dash I wanted. Turns out not so at all.
Only thing I’m waiting to get is the fridge. Don’t need it just yet!
it has the pull out tray now. Which I like.
Fitted the posh T6 bike rack which I find sub optimal for my needs with the long bikes I use.
I may sell it and change to the older, uglier, T5 style but which suits the longer mtbs and road bikes I use.
so if anyone wants a nearly new, used twice T6 new style rack (it does look much better and the clamps are swish) let me know! Hope your new duo tone is to your likeing and I’m sure the DSG etc is a breeze.

We are indeed Boris, I thought I’d miss the comfort dash I wanted. Turns out not so at all.
Only thing I’m waiting to get is the fridge. Don’t need it just yet!
it has the pull out tray now. Which I like.
Fitted the posh T6 bike rack which I find sub optimal for my needs with the long bikes I use.
I may sell it and change to the older, uglier, T5 style but which suits the longer mtbs and road bikes I use.
so if anyone wants a nearly new, used twice T6 new style rack (it does look much better and the clamps are swish) let me know! Hope your new duo tone is to your likeing and I’m sure the DSG etc is a breeze.
Yep, the new van is fine and dandy. Good to hear youv'e got the pull out tray. That item makes all the difference when fully loaded as everything is easily at hand. I always liked and preferred the standard dash and that hasn't changed. It's much more practical.

so if anyone wants a nearly new, used twice T6 new style rack (it does look much better and the clamps are swish) let me know!

The Kylie (T5 rack) is generally considered better looking for its generous sweeping curves all in exactly the right places. The Quasimodo (T6 rack) by contrast is considered lumpy with odd sticky out bits.

We have just bought one in the last month and would say.

1. Parking Heater a must. Not factory fitted you are talking well over £1500 for a decent Webasto with a professional fitting.
2. If you have no bed mat choose carefully we are using self inflating mats for the bottom bunk and a small double topper for upstairs. We had the mats from camping and they fit snug and not too costly compared to other types of support.
3. If you are using the upper bunk you might need a ladder to save wear and tear on the seats.
4. We have bought the front door window ventilators for air circulation (and to reduce condensation) we also bought the mesh covers for the sliding door and side window for the warmer months after previous bitter experience camping in Scotland in midge season!
5. If kids using upstairs the safety net is a must.
6.Think carefully do you want the 7 seater or the 5. We have a 5 because there would only be a maximum of 4 sleeping in the van at any time and the extra space is useful for the awning and extra gear tha we take with us for more than a couple of days.
7. Some form of thermal topper to keep the pop top roof dry. You don't want to put a wet roof down if you tour all year round. We have a Calitopper which fits the bill.
8. Vehicle spec wise I would leave to the experts but we have a Bluemotion with sat nav and Bluetooth set up on the steering wheel for the phone. Wasn't that bothered when we bought the van went more for service history, mileage and state of the vehicle to be honest.
9. Finally check the vehicle thoroughly for the bits that should come with it such as the windscreen cover and the awning pole.

Hope it helps we spent months researching before buying and budgeted for the "wish list"" of extras we wanted

Thanks again. All really helpful.

Is the pop top canvas on the Beach waterproof? I’m sure I read somewhere ages ago that it was on the Ocean but not on the Beach.

Back