Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach thoughts and fuel economy, help?

thesquirrelpatrol

thesquirrelpatrol

VIP Member
hi,

We have now been the happy owners of our beloved beach for 9 months and just thought I would firstly share my thoughts thus far followed by a quick question.

It's been 13 months since I first placed my order for my dream campervan and after a slight hitch (the first van we received in May was a factory misbuild with no air con) we received our fully specced black beastie in November (with complimentary xenons and subbed out sport line front grill in place of the bike rack). I called her moby dick, I know the whale was WHITE but she's named in honour of john bonham!

in retrospect the misbuild was a bit of a blessing in disguise, as it gave me a chance to iron out the creases in what I liked from the options I picked and what I didn't. I chose to get rid of the bike rack because I found it a bit cumbersome and would probably say if I were to use a rack in the future I would chose a tow bar mounted one. Coupled with the fact that literally 2 weeks before I collected the first van in May my wife and I found out we were to become parents in January, it'll be a few years yet before I have need of a bike rack.

Having had the van nearly 9 months now I really couldn't see us wanting anything else, the beach is everything to all people. It's a mobile home. The most comfortable taxi you'll ever be in. A mobile breastfeeding station with unrivalled privacy in car parks. The coolest looking people carrier on the road - you get used to many an envious look from Renault scenic driving school runners. Kids love it, it's a mobile play tent! The 140ps drives as close to like a car as a van will ever get. I couldn't be happier we got it, yes it is expensive but it's by far the best purchase I've ever made and we hope to get many years use out of it with our daughter and dog Baxter.

Anyway some brief thoughts on what's good and bad.
Good;
Xenons -overpriced, unless you get them for free, but WAYYYYYYY better than the halogens
Waeco cfx fridges are the dogs - again, overpriced but a cold beer is worth you left bo**ock at a 5 day music festival in Somerset
Milan anthracite upholstery is very smart
Downstairs bench bed is very comfy when used with self inflating camping mats on top and they pack away light!
Dab (radio 6) is indispensable

Bad;
Bluetooth integration in normal rcd dab radio is crap, you can't select tracks or control song selection from the radio or mfsw- this is unforgivable - my work van (a Renault trafic) has better Bluetooth and it cost £11k!
Fog lights only available as halogen, pet hate of mine is halogen yellow mixed with xenon white, I did replace the factoryfit lamps with Osram nightbreakers but still not great.

FUEL EFFICIENCY!!!
The main reason I'm posting this message is my mpg. Before I had my Cali I had a 2.5l tdi 2006 transporter unlined with 50k on the clock. From the 80l tank I would generally get 450/500 miles, not great mileage but it was a fast and light van with a thirsty 2.5l engine. The first beach i had I felt was a bit sluggish but I reckon I was getting 500 miles out of a tank. However I'm concerned over what I'm receiving from the new van. When I check the trip computer my average is sometimes as low as 23 mpg, with a bit of motorway driving it goes up to 26/27. I'm only getting 350 miles out of a full tank. Now being honest, my wife has predominately being using the van for short trips, with very little motorway driving, but I didn't do a lot of motorway driving in my transporter and my fuel economy was never this bad. Mine is the 140ps beach. Has anyone else had a similar experience or could suggest if there could be a problem with the fuel management or something?

Thanks

Adam

Hello Adam, concur that the Beach is a great vehicle which puts a smile on your face every time you get behind the wheel !
We have had ours for a week now. (140ps) Short runs, mixed in with some motorway (20-25 miles) driving and we are getting between 37 and 45.
Hope this help
Shaun

Sounds very low, don't think I could get the 140 SE down to less than 25 if I tried.

From a fellow Beach in black owner, I reckon you must have a leak in your tank!

That is incredibly low!

Hi Adam, that MPG is very poor, you need to have it checked out.

Hi Adam

Snap I a fellow Black Beach owner too

One thing have noticed is a change in tyre from Continental VanEco to some Mid range budget tyres to fit the Sportline allows has taken @10% of my mpg

Before 42 mpg
Now 38 mpg

This is based on a 50 - 55 mph drive in 6 gear (optimum fuel saving) with cruise control being used as much as possible

I would get the dealer to check it out

Definitely doesn't sound right to me either - my SE 180DSG is getting upwards of 33mpg fill-to-fill and I'm clearing 550+miles on a full tank. For your Beach to be getting such low MPG, it does sound like there must be something amiss somewhere...

Maud

hi im the person that bought your aircon free beach and although ive not driven far im sure im getting better mpg than you are now. have to agree about the high up bike rack, we have a towbar mounted one on our estate car, but without the mix up with the aircon our inheritance would not have stretched to a similar van and so far we are loving the black van

I average 29 - 30 on a 180 DSG. I'm not last in the que and its hilly around here. Also it's only 3 months old with 3500 on the clock.
First - Do not depend on the vehicle computer. Fill up until pump cuts out. Drive. Then fill up at same pump if possible until pump cuts off. Calculate the mpg. If you are correct then you have a problem to check out.

We use a 2012 140PS Beach. Trips to Greece and back return 37-38 mpg fully laden but that can drop to 32-33 if we cruise the autobahn/autostrada etc at 80+ mph. Never gone below 30 even in the Alps where it's terrible going up but free coming down.

I have a 114ps beach and get about 33-35 around town and 36-40ish on motorways. I got over 500 from the last tank (well I've done 460miles and still actually have quarter tank left) and even suspect the computer is being conservative and is better than it is reporting. I need to do some maths and work it out properly. Cruise control seems to make a massive difference and I use it a lot. Interestingly my girlfriend didn't use it on a recent trip and the av consumption dropped.

What I have also noticed is each trip the computer seems to start fresh with the average consumption unlike my last car which stored it until reset. It always seems to start showing mid 20's for the first few minutes until warm and then the average quickly shoots up. Don't know if I have it set wrong or I am misunderstanding something but it seems to work that way for me.

MattBW. Do you have the Multi Function Steering Wheel?
If so, there are 2 computer memories.
1 - gives fuel consumption/ trip
2 - gives fuel consumption continuous over I think 10,000 miles before it resets.
When you switch ignition on you will see the number 1 Top R on the MFD display.
Press OK on the steering wheel and it changes to 2.
All the info is in the Handbook under MFD.:thumb

I don't have the wheel no, only the controls on the right stick. I did get it on 2 once but I can't seem to repeat it.

Figured it out, my average over the first 2500miles is 34.5

Last edited:
37 mpg on a loaded run back from Cornwall on my 140 beach last week or so said the computer. Not to shabby as a mix of roads, hilly and a new engine.

New engine? That sounds like there's a story to raise the hair on the back of your neck, care to elaborate? I have a 2014 140 Beach that I bought a year ago with 40k, now 66k a year later, only mountaineering trips, virtually no city driving.

We will likely never know. The Original Poster hasn’t posted anything since Feb 2015.

My average over 41,000 miles seems to be 33.7mpg, charging the batteries properly regularly seems to help for some reason.

I've been driving differently of late too and generally get over 35, usually about 37mpg. Around town is always bad and brings it down.

I have a 140 SE. And on the computer over the last 2500 miles it shows an average of 35.7 mpg... That is local and through France and Spain but I would think the accurate reading buy topping up the tank method is nearer 33. yes I can get it averaging 40+ mpg on motorways. And I’m a really careful driver...Anyone who get a total average of over 40 mpg has an exceptional vehicle...Don’t forget its over 3 tons......

I have a 140 SE. And on the computer over the last 2500 miles it shows an average of 35.7 mpg... That is local and through France and Spain but I would think the accurate reading buy topping up the tank method is nearer 33. yes I can get it averaging 40+ mpg on motorways. And I’m a really careful driver...Anyone who get a total average of over 40 mpg has an exceptional vehicle...Don’t forget its over 3 tons......
I think many are using the 1 trip MFD reading rather than Memory 2 that averages consumption over 10 or 20,000 miles, I'm not sure which.

I think many are using the 1 trip MFD reading rather than Memory 2 that averages consumption over 10 or 20,000 miles, I'm not sure which.
I reset memory 2 each time I brim the tank - isn't that what everyone does that's interested in their consumption over time (I realise not everyone is!).
I usually compare the resulting mfd consumption over say 500 miles with the actual. Usually mfd is optimistic by 10% (ie if it says 40, the real number is 36)

I reset memory 2 each time I brim the tank - isn't that what everyone does that's interested in their consumption over time (I realise not everyone is!).
I usually compare the resulting mfd consumption over say 500 miles with the actual. Usually mfd is optimistic by 10% (ie if it says 40, the real number is 36)
Personally I just leave it on Memory 2.

Back