Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach TSi 204ps DSG

0-60 in under 10 seconds , tank to empty in 10 minutes.

It's a petrol engine :eek:

Wonder what mpg at full pelt on the autobahn that thing will do.

Calincolnshire said:
0-60 in under 10 seconds , tank to empty in 10 minutes.

It's a petrol engine :eek:

Wonder what mpg at full pelt on the autobahn that thing will do.

I would suspect you're look at low 20's, no more - I think they only sell petrol Cali's in Germany, they seem quite popular.

But yes, no more than 25 - 28? i suspect over a month, your average would be similar, surely?

It's an odd one because you can 'chip' a 180 Diesel to 200 + so I guess some people just like having that petrol engine

These new TSI engines seem to be really economic, my son has just bought a new vwPolo 1.4 TSI and he says it's returning 60-65mpg already according to the on board computer. That almost as good as the 1.6 TDI Polo that my other son drives, so I wouldn't be surprised if a 204 bhp Cali would return at least mid 30's mpg

Alasdair

Awesome! The one thing I really don't like in our Cali is the engine. It works fine but it sounds horrific! Any idea if that engine is four or six cylinders?

Looks great too - love it!

Whilst this may be thirsty. It is no bad thing having a petrol car in your fleet. So many folk rave about diesel these days but efficient petrol engines are starting to work out cheaper all things considered as folk pay a premium for diesels.

I think that UK refineries are struggling to cope with diesel sales whereas we are more self sufficient in petrol refinery capacity. Also petrol avoids the ticking timebomb that DPF will represent in the future for us all.

gatvol said:
Whilst this may be thirsty. It is no bad thing having a petrol car in your fleet. So many folk rave about diesel these days but efficient petrol engines are starting to work out cheaper all things considered as folk pay a premium for diesels.

I think that UK refineries are struggling to cope with diesel sales whereas we are more self sufficient in petrol refinery capacity. Also petrol avoids the ticking timebomb that DPF will represent in the future for us all.

Agree 100%.
Just gone back to a petrol car and it's just so much nicer to drive yet the emissions are still pretty low. I do feel diesel development is slowing whereas petrol is starting to appeal more to many; no stupid EGR valves, DPFs, DMFs, etc and much better for short journeys.

UK produces more unleaded than we use & export surplus. We can't produce enough diesil so import a lot = higher price. Refineries can not change what they produce inline with demand.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

They are welcome to "export" some here to Cornwall.

Isn't it great; the government worked out diesels were generally lower on Co2 (it actually contains more pollutants than petrol), lured the public in with low VED and BIK tax then whacked the price right up. I can't think of anywhere else where diesel costs more than petrol.

KernowLad said:
Awesome! The one thing I really don't like in our Cali is the engine. It works fine but it sounds horrific! Any idea if that engine is four or six cylinders?

Looks great too - love it!

It's the same engine fitted to the Golf GTi

There's a Youtube Video of a German TSi Multivan being maxed,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSCxys2X-c

They reach about 120 mph or thereabouts

James

I always thought that the idea of a campervan was to potter around taking in the scenery and not maxing out at 120ish down the Autobahn
But maybe I've got the wrong idea
Petrol engines with a turbo and a supercharger are always going to be quicker than an oil burner but how many petrol engines last for 3,4 or even 500000 miles without any major rebuilds?

Alasdair

Barefoot62 said:
I always thought that the idea of a campervan was to potter around taking in the scenery and not maxing out at 120ish down the Autobahn
But maybe I've got the wrong idea
Petrol engines with a turbo and a supercharger are always going to be quicker than an oil burner but how many petrol engines last for 3,4 or even 500000 miles without any major rebuilds?

Alasdair

This is just a normal Multivan - let's not forget pre facelift they were fitting the 3.2 V6 - you'll see a few of these T5's around.

The Germans have a very different approach and culture towards their T5's :)

i agree about petrol engines, if I was buying a small car now, I am not sure I'd bother with a diesel, look at Fords new petrol 1.0, that's an awesome engine.

Even a new Golf, I'd quite like 1.4 Petrol. I also think, now I've lived with the fuel economy in my Beach, anything petrol I own in the future is going to feel efficient lol

James

James; a 180 Cali does 115ish... I guess the torque might be a bit less which wouldn't be too handy.

Yep, our 3.0 turbo six cylinder petrol is our "economical" vehicle; the missus got
38mpg over 500 miles to London and back yesterday. The Cali is very lucky to see 30...more like 25 round these ere parts. :eek:

KernowLad said:
James; a 180 Cali does 115ish... I guess the torque might be a bit less which wouldn't be too handy.

Yep, our 3.0 turbo six cylinder petrol is our "economical" vehicle; the missus got
38mpg over 500 miles to London and back yesterday. The Cali is very lucky to see 30...more like 25 round these ere parts. :eek:

I'd like to try the petrol T5 - the old diesel rattles somewhat, must be a smooth drive :)

James

James said:
KernowLad said:

I'd like to try the petrol T5 - the old diesel rattles somewhat, must be a smooth drive :)

James

I'm pretty sure I'd want one...

The 180 unit is perfectly competent but I find myself closing the windows too often to avoid hearing that clatter!

Back