Beach V LWB Kombi

Kitesurfer

Kitesurfer

kitesurfer
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi
I have been looking for a while now to per chase a cali beach.
But I am now thinking of going for a LWB Kombi, with the following spec

180 PS LWB
Tailgate with Window Privacy Glass
Xeono Headlights
Metallic Paint - Sand Beige P8P8
Swivelling Front Seats
High line Trim
MFSW
Removable Tow Ball
Roof Load - Rack Preparation
Mud Flaps
Rubber Load - Floor Covering
Bike Rack
Parking Heater

With the view to install a rock & Roll bed at a later date.

Been in contact with Hugh from SMG, who is pricing up this spec for me.

Any comments appreciated thanks

Terry :?:

I also thought about a kombi or a caravelle since my van's primary function is a very spacious people mover.

I eventually chose a 7 seater beach.

For me the reasons were:

- good sound insulation (why I also thought about the velle)
- pop top for occasional use now and more use when the kids don't want to come away with us any more - this size camper is really best for two people in my opinion.
- plus VW campers are cool! :p

I must admit that a kombi still has appeal for me as the rear load area is more robust so would possibly be more useful - if I want to use my beach as a van I have to put lots of padding/protection in which means I often use an old hatchback car instead. Just throwing bikes, building material, wood etc in the back of the van would be good.

So - you have to decide what's best for you....

Hi Terry

Well the Beach is only SWB so there will be less space in the Beach.

It comes down to two things, personal choice and price. I couldn't personally find a Kombi or get a deal to match my Beach but I am not saying it is not possible.

The other problem for me was the conversion, finding someone to put a decent rock and roll bed and a decent pop top in afterwards was difficult and expensive. I guess for me there was a convenience aspect with the Beach, it was all done for me by VW.

The spec you want is specific and it will almost certainly be factory order so it may work out better for you to to order a LWB Kombi and go that route.

The other aspect of the Beach for me was the attention to detail. I like Day Vans and Weekend Campers, I've owned a Vanagon Multivan and I have spent a long time looking at conversions and ideas and there isn't a conversion I have seen which I prefer to the Beach. In fact, on the T4/T5 forum it was suggested that you should not bother with a Beach and just get someone to convert a Kombi. I pointed out that for me if in an ideal world I had had a Kombi converted to my perfect spec, it would have come back looking like a Beach. That said, a converted Kombi will allow more personalisation although I would argue I have made my Beach pretty individual and unique to me.

There is an attention to detail in the Beach because it's based on a German Multivan Startline, it's not just a Caravelle with a poptop. It works so well as a camping vehicle with acres of space and in particular the way the storage space is devised, Again having said that there is now LWB version so it can't keep with a LWB conversion.

That's my thoughts, personal choice and price and what kind of van you'd like to own :)

James

Thank you Custardtart / James

Yes you are right the quality of the beach is very nice.
It's all down to price & the spec that i am looking for the kombi fits the bill
there is only the good lady & my self, so we don't need the pop up top.
the plan is i have a lot of places i need to kite-surf across Europe
so the LWB is what i need.

Thanks for your thoughts

Regards

Terry :p

Back