Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach vs SE

D

DebsWhite

VIP Member
Having had a 3 seater beach for the last three years, I thought it would be a good idea to note down some of the main differences that we've noticed having now upgraded to an SE.
Bed
Okay there is no comparison here. The bed on the SE is so much better than the beach. Simply being able to move it whilst the bed is down, makes such a difference to a camping experience. Plus not having to Pfaff around and find somewhere for the headrests is great. The extra headroom you get on the SE makes a huge difference too. The bed is much lower than the beach, much more comfortable and practical too.
Roof
Having spent many nights in the Lake District in the beach with howling gales, I was really surprised to feel much more secure in our new van. The roof on the SE seems much more sturdy than on the beach. I certainly slept better and felt less movement in the canvas from the strong winds. I love having the front window in the canvas as well.
Bellows
Okay I'm not sure if I'm making this one up, but the bellows on our new van seem much more water resistant than they were on the beach. In proper rain in Keswick over the weekend, the canvas remained much drier than it ever had on the beach, and it certainly got tested.
Cupboards, a fridge and a sink
Having originally not wanted any of those bits, it was really refreshing to not have to trip over a fridge every time I wanted to get some milk, as we used to keep it behind the passenger seat. Also being able to put things away in cupboards makes a huge difference your camping experience. Having a tap felt like a real luxury.
Advantages of the beach
Okay that aren't many. The beach feels slightly roomier inside and the van is obviously lighter to drive, but having made the switch, personally I'd go for an SE any day . However, if you want an every day and then the beach might have the edge.

Been discussed before , in fact it are two diffrent verhicles used for diffrent purpose....imo
Glad you like the SE ... like we do ...

one advantage of the beach is having more than 4 seats. It might not make a difference to you (I don't know if you travel with anyone and how many) but for anyone with a family of more than four then an SE/ocean is sadly not an option.

Been discussed before , in fact it are two diffrent verhicles used for diffrent purpose....imo

Just for curiosity, can you search the threads on a mobile device? I did try to before posting.
one advantage of the beach is having more than 4 seats. It might not make a difference to you (I don't know if you travel with anyone and how many) but for anyone with a family of more than four then an SE/ocean is sadly not an option.

Agree, we've only got 4 of us and two dogs and we originally went for the beach for extra seats, for grand parents etc, but we found we used it much more as a camper than a people carrier.
I suppose what I was really trying to point out where the differences that surprised us, rather than the obvious ones. The main ones being the different heights of beds, comfort levels of the bed and much more robust roof - although it all comes with extra weight too. I cant quite make out why VW have removed / changed so many options in the beach.

Just for curiosity, can you search the threads on a mobile device? I did try to before posting.

Agree, we've only got 4 of us and two dogs and we originally went for the beach for extra seats, for grand parents etc, but we found we used it much more as a camper than a people carrier.
I suppose what I was really trying to point out where the differences that surprised us, rather than the obvious ones. The main ones being the different heights of beds, comfort levels of the bed and much more robust roof - although it all comes with extra weight too. I cant quite make out why VW have removed / changed so many options in the beach.
Always helpful to read comparisons so thanks for the post.
What options have been removed/changed? Do you mean in the new T6?

Hi Dave,
I believe you can get the 5th seat for the SE/Ocean (sadly not available on the 4Motion though) :(. Fine for driving around - but quite what you would do with it when camping, I don't know. Both are great vehicles. Horses for courses :thumb

Hi Dave,
I believe you can get the 5th seat for the SE/Ocean (sadly not available on the 4Motion though) :(. Fine for driving around - but quite what you would do with it when camping, I don't know. Both are great vehicles. Horses for courses :thumb
Yeah I thought you could do that too but it is cramped and impractical isn't it?

Yeah I thought you could do that too but it is cramped and impractical isn't it?
I would have thought so yes, but for the driving part, it's probably ok. Also useful for families of 4 who have the odd guest now & again.I would have gone for it had it been an option.

Would actually be interesting to know how folk deal with the extra seat when camping (if they take it along?) Probably another thread though. Cheers

Although I did not order the extra seats in the end, as part of our pre purchase for and against list, I was thinking about taking the seats out when camping and using them in the folded up position as a sort of side table in the awning.

I am glad that you are enjoying your new SE. We have also recently purchased a new T5 SE and we also find it brilliant. Whilst we have had a little time to find out how good the SE is we have no experience of the Beach.

However we are seriously thinking of getting one to replace our car to use as a multi purpose vehicle. We have lots of grand children and a seven seater beach would tick a lot of boxes for us. The fact that it can also be used as a camper van makes it even more usefull than a Caravelle. Picnic vehicle, removal van, people carrier, camper van, the Beach seems do all this reasonably well.

The SE and Beach appear to fulfil completely different needs and therefore cannot really be compared like for like.

The SE and Beach appear to fulfil completely different needs and therefore cannot really be compared like for like.

Which is why it's kind of annoying that VW don't recognise this and have a high spec standard from which the two are derived and marketed differently instead of the frankly very dated OEM approach of the Beach being the entry vehicle and the SE the upmarket variant.

We always explain to folks we meet that the Beach is for Campervaners and the SE for Motorhomesers.

Come on VW and wake up to your market! Put the same trim and dashboards in both vehicles for example.

Which is why it's kind of annoying that VW don't recognise this and have a high spec standard from which the two are derived and marketed differently instead of the frankly very dated OEM approach of the Beach being the entry vehicle and the SE the upmarket variant.

We always explain to folks we meet that the Beach is for Campervaners and the SE for Motorhomesers.

Come on VW and wake up to your market! Put the same trim and dashboards in both vehicles for example.
Disagree. If you are going down that pathway then I would say the Beach is for the occasional camper and the SE for the regular camper. Don't see many Beach's in lay-bys. Bit difficult putting the awning up to cook in.:D

Always seems odd to me that they both come under the Calofornia banner.
Ok call the version with the sink and cooker California and then SE etc for different trim levels but then call the Beach just Beach not California Beach.
Just my thoughts.

I drive a campervan not a motorhome can't agree with that statement. A beach or SE /Ocean are both campervans, campervans go where motorhome can't get to.

Last edited:
Other than the SE/Ocean having an electric roof (and the lack of front mesh section on the Beach) in what other ways are the roofs different? Is the Beach roof not as solidly constructed?

Ahhh - so that's where all the SEs are - in laybys! :rolleyes:

Everyone to their own.....

As Borris said earlier, both vehicles fulfil different needs with pros and cons. IMO however the SE is a true campervan (most definately not a motorhome) and the Beach a genuine multi-purpose vehicle that amongst other things can be used as a campervan, particularly so if removeable pods are added. So choose the SE if you want a permanent and versatile campervan that you can use daily and the Beach if you want a versatile daily drive that can be adapted to camp in.

Ahhh - so that's where all the SEs are - in laybys! :rolleyes:

Everyone to their own.....
Yeah, on their way to CC sites that don't recognise the Beach as a Campervan - I think not.;);)

Because the Beach is such a versatile vehicle, I suspect that for many who own them, camping is not its main role. It certainly won't be if I buy one! Where as, I am certain that most people who buy an SE/Ocean do so because they want to use it principally for camping.

I also feel that most UK buyers would appreciate being offered greater levels of trim to choose from in each model. Some like the less expensive no thrills approach and others like all the bells and whistles. I may be wrong but I believe our cousins in mainland Europe can specify pretty much what they want to on their Calis, but for us Brits the menu is limited, e.g considering the likely uses that both models are designed for why isn't factory fitted leather offered as a option on both models. With currently seven and three quarter grand children ( number eight is still in the oven), the seat coverings in the beach are a non starter for me. Yes you can get seat covers but why on earth can't you specify the identical leather seats that you can have in the Caravelle? It makes no sense at all.

Last edited:
Because the Beach is such a versatile vehicle, I suspect that for many who own them, camping is not its main role. It certainly won't be if I buy one! Where as, I am certain that most people who buy an SE/Ocean do so because they want to use it principally for camping.

I also feel that most UK buyers would appreciate being offered greater levels of trim to choose from in each model. Some like the less expensive no thrills approach and others like all the bells and whistles. I may be wrong but I believe our cousins in mainland Europe can specify pretty much what they want to on their Calis, but for us Brits the menu is limited, e.g considering the likely uses that both models are designed for why isn't factory fitted leather offered as a option on both models. With currently seven and three quarter grand children the seat coverings in the beach are a non starter for me. Yes you can get seat covers but why on earth can't you specify the identical leather seats that you can have in the Caravelle? It makes no sense at all.

I can only agree Borris.

Even such a staunch champion of the California as myself can be a despairing and bemused critic when it comes to dealing with VW. They seem to live on a planet as yet untouched by human hand or logic.

My own experience this Summer had me predicting, with uncanny accuracy, that with such internal focus and blind obsession in the belief of their own infallibility they were destined for an almighty fall.

I actually thought it would be from a competitive direction, not from what transpired but hey-ho,

You've been at that xmas sherry again haven't you?

I don't have my Cali yet, but its a Beach that I have on order because it can fulfil every need I have from a four wheeled vehicle. Most of the time it will my daily driver, it will be used for a lot of trips and holidays with my teenage boys and it will be use as 'base-camp' for outdoor activities and photography trips (including workshops with clients most likely). It will also serve as dormitory for me and my boys quite a bit too and I suspect that cooking for three ravenous males will be better served by outdoor catering rather than trying to use the small set up on the SE/Ocean. Were it to be just me and a partner using it for camping, the SE/Ocean might have been best, but for my needs I think (hope!) the Beach is the better prospect. I was not a fan of the Beach in the beginning, but that's before I actually thought about my needs rather than being seduced by the sexy kitchen unit LOL.

I have added far more options than I thought I would to my T6 order, the parking air heater being the biggest single expense. Quite a few of them are standard on the SE/Ocean, but hey-ho, I specced it to what I want rather than worrying about the Ocean 'getting these things for free'. No matter how I specced each, the Ocean always ended up about £6k more in any case, so still a big saving for what amounts to a better overall package, for me.

I cannot stop thinking about all the activities I wanted to be able to do a certain way in the past, but could not without the compromises of car/B&B/tent. I can hardly believe my dream vehicle is in the pipeline and I am thrilled that VW offers both models. That said, their brochures/options lists are appallingly unclear and lacking in explanations (and full of contradictions) and the lack of commonality of standard equipment and common options between models is plain daft, not to mention across the larger VW range. It starts with paint. Why, oh why are options so limited? .... but whenever I find myself thinking this way I remind myself not to lose sight of the bigger picture: at least we can get this vehicle (unlike Americans) and do all the exciting things it makes possible. I can't wait.

Quote myself...
Like i thought and like in all other treads on SE vs Beach this is gonna be a long tread SE owners vs Beach owners...:Nailbiting

Always two camps...don't know why , we are all looking for the same , fun in and arround our Cali's!

Sorry WG but we have used CC sites without any problem since we've had the van. Not sure where you get the idea that they don't see the Beach as a campervan.
On another thread a poster mentioned that he couldn't join the CC as he had a Beach. My comment was said with Tongue in Cheek. Hence the last sentence. But will make it clearer next time if I try to be too clever.

Back