Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach....why wouldn’t you buy a 7 seat?

R

robob123

New to the world of Calis
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I don’t get it, what’s the benefit of the non 7 seat version? Is it storage? Is there something useful under that bench thing on the side? Sorry in advance if it’s a daft question

Its not full of seats so loads more room inside??

more comfortable bed downstairs
more easily converted to "full camper" e.g. with maxcamp stuff
can take the box out and fit a surfboard or bike there
storage box very useful - more inside storage space
more comfortable bed downstairs

Do you want a camper or a people carrier? Personally I think the 4 seater makes a better camper but some people have a genuine need to carry 5 or more passengers.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Does the regular beach (ie not 7 seats) automatically come with a 2 seat bench, 2 individual seats and the 2 seats in the front or is the middle row an optional extra?

no it doesn't.

To be honest unless you take the muliflex out I can't see how you would get any extra seats in (you might get one in at a push to make it 5 seats but wouldn't be very comfortable)

multiflex on the 2seat bench version isn't very multi or very flexible (as often said)....just a big board that's fixed into position no tilting moving etc

Choice is a wonderful thing :)

Ours is normally a 7 seat although we only have 2 kids, lots of scope for carrying friends etc and kids travel really well in the 2 seats.

Right now we’re in the Pyrenees and the extra 2 seats are back home in the garage so we have lots of space and a big downstairs bed.

If you don’t need the extra seats then the 4 seater Beach or the Ocean are a great choice.

I think I’m going to drop in at Birmingham VW vans and check out the difference for myself. They’ve got both in stock by the looks of things . I don’t understand the configuration difference from regular beach to 7 seat..... was assuming the difference was width of bench but it’s obviously more complicated than that

I think I’m going to drop in at Birmingham VW vans and check out the difference for myself. They’ve got both in stock by the looks of things . I don’t understand the configuration difference from regular beach to 7 seat..... was assuming the difference was width of bench but it’s obviously more complicated than that
Yes good plan

7 seater is more flexible as you have more options especially with the multiflex board.Would say storage space is similar, as 4 seater has reduced storage under the bed.

For us we surf, paddle board and bike...boards locked on the roof, bikes locked on the boot carrier, wet & dirty gear in waterproof bags behind the rear seats, this keeps the interior clean and relatively odour free + under the boot makes for a fairly dry area for changing under when it’s Pi$$ing down in the winter.

When camping we put the gear in plastic boxes which sit nicely behind the rear seat, the space is huge!

In the past I have had boards and bikes stolen from inside vans & cars, and always ended up with smashed windows, broken locks and damaged doors....so now avoid putting anything inside a van to avoid such damage. A determined thief will take stuff regardless of whether it’s locked in or outside the van.

I might be biased as we own a 7 seater!

If it helps you, I have just placed an advert in the "Used Californias for sale section". There are loads of photos included that show just how versatile a seven seat Beach is. The advert is entitled "Bluebell" - seeks new owner".

I don’t get it, what’s the benefit of the non 7 seat version? Is it storage? Is there something useful under that bench thing on the side? Sorry in advance if it’s a daft question

I think the real difference is the Beach with a two seat bench and the Beach with a three seat Bench.

A three seat bench Beach can be configured to seat between 5 and 7 people.

A two seat bench Beach can be configured to seat 4 or 5 people.

The two seat bench version has a completely flat bed 1.5m wide.

The three seat bench version has a lumpy and bumpy bed 1.5m wide.

The two seat bench version has a large storage box on the left hand side of the bench.

The three seat bench version has a higher bed giving cavernous storage under the bed, only accessible from the tailgate, but restricted headroom for the bed.

There are other differences, such as the under bench storage trays.

I find the 3 seat bench version offers a very flexible layout, we currently have ours in holiday mode, seating five but with a large boot. When at home we usually have it configured with 7 seats and a shortened multiflex.

But we are fortunate in having a large bike shed at the front of our house which will easily take the two extra chairs.

You’ve not said how many people you need to carry, 2 seater bench makes a better bed than seat.

3 seater bench makes better seat than bed although I think it’s fine with the optional comfort mattress and multi flex board. Only downside is you have to travel with folded mattress on the multiplex board and it’s something else to find room for in the house if you don’t want to leave it in the van all the time.

The two optional captains chairs that make the 7 seater are awesome and can recline individually so for regular trips the kids love them.

It would be tough to go camping in 7 seater mode as there would be no space inside and the captions chairs are heavy to take in and out plus you need somewhere to put them when they aren’t in the van.

It would be tough to go camping in 7 seater mode as there would be no space inside and the captions chairs are heavy to take in and out plus you need somewhere to put them when they aren’t in the van.

I posted a series of photos illustrating various ways the Beach bed can be made with all seven seats in situ.

I think the biggest loss is that of the otherwise cavernous underbed storage.

I’ve looked at the various pics (Bella looks great btw) and I think I’m convinced by 7. We have loads of storage for 2 captains seats at home so they could be left behind for camping and beach trips where storage required. Just how bumpy is that lower bed? I was thinking kids would go up top and me below but don’t want to commit to uncomfortable sleep whenever camping??

Just how bumpy is that lower bed? I was thinking kids would go up top and me below but don’t want to commit to uncomfortable sleep whenever camping??
We have the 2.0 x 1.5 m Brandrup mattress, with soft foam below and harder foam above. If used correctly, not too lumpy but still noticeable. If used upside down (doh) very lumpy.

I have heard good things about the VW comfort mattress which is designed specifically for the 3 seat bench.

We have the 2.0 x 1.5 m Brandrup mattress, with soft foam below and harder foam above. If used correctly, not too lumpy but still noticeable. If used upside down (doh) very lumpy.

I have heard good things about the VW comfort mattress which is designed specifically for the 3 seat bench.

Might just be me but I love the VW comfort mattress, perfectly flat and zips in two so easy to carry and store if slightly confusing at first :)

We forgot it one trip and the bare 3 seater bench bed, not so good!

Any empty van will look great, so be sure to take some gear with you (ie, bags / boxes that you normally use when to go camping etc) and see how everything fits when the whole family are in the van. You might get some strange looks but it’s a big purchase so makes sense to get it right.

Flexibility , abilty to move the 5 rear seats around.
All seats in : took friends out for the day
Bench seat only i.e removed 2 seats : slept on it at campsite
Removed bench seat ( very heavy used hoist) put 2 seats back.
1 behind the other: motorbike at side
next to each other with gap: bicycle between them
when bike out moved one far forward and slept on foam bed on floor between seat and rear door ( I am only 5ft tall)
2 seats in at present just been down to tip to get rid of a carpet.
Not yet tried no seats (the 5 that is) but one day I will want to carry something that needs the space.

Its not full of seats so loads more room inside??
I have 7 seats, took the two second row individual seats out for a one month trip for 2 to Scotland, back in for a trip to the Pyrenees with 6 friends this weekend. This level of flexibility is not available on the 2 seat bench, or on the Ocean/SE. Both upper and lower (150cm x 200cm!) beds are fully usable with 7 seats in.

I have 7 seats, took the two second row individual seats out for a one month trip for 2 to Scotland, back in for a trip to the Pyrenees with 6 friends this weekend. This level of flexibility is not available on the 2 seat bench, or on the Ocean/SE. Both upper and lower (150cm x 200cm!) beds are fully usable with 7 seats in.
With mutiflex (which in the 3 bench Beach is really multiflexible, in both position and length) fitted.

I have the VW comfort mattress, which is designed to adapt to and eliminate the lumps in the 3 seat bench. Excellent.