Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beach without 230v connection on the outside. Is this a must?

N

Nymberg

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Looking to buy a Beach, we have a few in Sweden just standing at the dealers with great discounts!

BUT!

They dont have the outside 230v connection, so im worrying about charging the leisure battery when standing on camping sites. Will be having a compressor fridge with us and with that connected and use of the heating the battery might drain fast?

Is it possible to charge the leisure battery by connecting a ctek charger to the main battery in the engine bay?

Sadly you dont get any help at the dealers were the knowledge isnt that great..

Thanks for any advice regarding this possible ”problem”

Looking to buy a Beach, we have a few in Sweden just standing at the dealers with great discounts!

BUT!

They dont have the outside 230v connection, so im worrying about charging the leisure battery when standing on camping sites. Will be having a compressor fridge with us and with that connected and use of the heating the battery might drain fast?

Is it possible to charge the leisure battery by connecting a ctek charger to the main battery in the engine bay?

Sadly you dont get any help at the dealers were the knowledge isnt that great..

Thanks for any advice regarding this possible ”problem”
Does this help from @Perfectos ?

Post in thread 'How do I top up my leisure battery on the Beach?' https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/thread...eisure-battery-on-the-beach.42964/post-556050

That could be a solution if it works.

Thanks!

Paid around £250 to have EHU retrofitted to our Beach . But then fitted 2 x solar panels a year later from @Roger Donoghue and have not needed to use EHU since.

Last edited:
Paid around £250 to have EHU retrofitted to our Beach . But the fitted 2 x solar panels a year later from @Roger Donoghue and have not needed to use EHU since.
Nice!

What type of electrical equipment do you use in your Beach?

I sent an email to @Roger Donoghue and asked if they can send their kit to Sweden. Their ”no drilling” kit looks absolute awesome!

Nice!

What type of electrical equipment do you use in your Beach?

I sent an email to @Roger Donoghue and asked if they can send their kit to Sweden. Their ”no drilling” kit looks absolute awesome!
We have a Dometic CFX 35 fridge which sits on a sliding boot tray. Also charge phones, projector, wireless speaker etc

The panels took me about 2 hrs to install and was very easy. The instructions are very good and they came packed screwed into a wooden frame so will survive most couriers!

I’ll second the lack of knowledge (imho) with the Swedish dealers, likely due to the California being quite an exotic beast around here. In case you come across a dealer that defies my preconcieved impressions, please let me know.

There ar some dealers on the swedish facebook california group.
They seem to be more into it than the regular transportbil sales guy (who usually don't know anything).

They seem to be more into it than the regular transportbil sales guy (who usually don't know anything).
Oh. Can you link to the group?

Oh. Can you link to the group?

Edit: or recommend any skilled ones? I see you’re from the west coast as well.

I have a 2013 beach without EHU and use my Ctech car battery charger by plugging it into the 12v socket in passenger compartment. Thinking about fitting solar panels though as we don’t need a lot of power, just for waeco fridge, lights and phone charging.

I have a CTEK lead connected directly to the leisure battery. As well as being able to easily charge the leisure battery, it enables me to use the charger (MXS10) in power supply mode at a campsite to run the fridge and kitchen pod water pump which are directly connected to the battery. Works very well.

The guys at bus-boxx.de sell an integrated 230v solution. You can fit it below one of the front seats. It's an easy install and features 2 230v sockets, 2 12v sockets and 2 USB plugs.

The guys at bus-boxx.de sell an integrated 230v solution. You can fit it below one of the front seats. It's an easy install and features 2 230v sockets, 2 12v sockets and 2 USB plugs.

Thats was a really nice solution!

Happy to be able to mount something that is completely reversible to stock in case of any warranty issues etc. Hard to find something thats better than this i think..

Back