Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beachside Blog

James

James

Top Poster
VIP Member
So after much delaying our trip up North finally happened. This trip was meant to have occurred back in the balmy summer months but life, and life events meant our first serious trip in Betty occurred in the colder month of October. Slightly concerning when you have a Beach without a parking heater and your primary heat source is a duvet and body heat.

My partner is from Skipton in Yorkshire and needed to be there for family reasons so we designed our trip around being close to Skipton.

As camping novices the trip was also a chance for us to learn as we go, this was to prove to be something that had both success and failure!

As I live in Essex it was decided to break up the journey to Skipton. A halfway point or thereabouts was located in the Peak District at the Royal Oak.

http://peakpub.co.uk/

We arrived last Saturday and were greeted by a muddy field. In fact, in a bizarre version of a T5 stunt team myself and a LWB Kombi attempted to find a place which was both level and not muddy. This was a basic site and despite the best efforts of the owners, one that was not that clean. It was, well, basic, the pub itself was lovely, food amazing and service second to none but as a camping site it was, well, hardy, to say the least.

The location is amazing and we made a quick dash into Bakewell which was lovely and like true tourists we bought some Bakewell Tart.

IMG_0001.jpg

It was a cold night in the van and it was decided a heater had to be purchased, Before that though had to drive through the rolling Peak District mist and make our way to Skipton so we could catch up with my partner’s family.

mist.jpg

Then from lovely Skipton we took an interesting drive to Blackpool. i say interesting because again, despite whatever settings I select my sat nav decides to put you on some crazy route across country.

http://www.easthamhall.co.uk/

IMG_0008.jpg

We chose a site with hardstanding and EHU although we were only planning to stay a night, this was a very good site, not cheap at £30 a night but everything was provided. We of course decided to drive along the seafront and experience the illuminations before stopping for a spot of fish and chips.

IMG_0016.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

In the morning we made a small detour to Fleetwod and stopped to get a cup of tea from a small shop of the seafront.

IMG_0019.jpg

The guy in the shop was a VW guy and we got into a VW conversation as he had spotted Betty, no discount though but we did get to experience the beauty of a grey Lancashire morning. Then we made the short drive to a campsite called Waters Edge on the edge of the Lake District, it had come recommended to us and it did not disappoint.

http://www.watersedgecaravanpark.co.uk/

IMG_0020.jpg

One of the first tasks though was to acquire a small heater from the local B&Q. This was to prove to be a stroke of genius. It kept the van very cosy for just £30, i grant you, nowhere near the sophistication of a VW parking heater but it worked. The campsite was lovely and the facilities were brilliant. We had a hardstanding with EHU and amongst the white Caravans Betty looked very different!

We had planned to stay there from the Sunday through to Thursday. We were concerned about how well the Beach would be suited to this but we needn’t have worried. Once we discovered we could keep the Climabox in the middle of the van and not have to keep moving to the boot once we made the bed, life became easier. In fact after a few days of mastering the morning routine of turning the van from bedroom back into van it became almost fun and once turned back into the van it was the perfect vehicle to explore the beauty of the Lake District.

IMG_0037.jpg

And what beauty... Jaw dropping scenery, friendly people, beautiful towns and villages, lovely pubs, the Lake District has it all. Driving along the Kirsktone Pass may have caused some concern but it was worth it to experience the views

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

This is about 1500ft above sea level and it was jaw dropping. We stopped here to give ourselves and Betty a rest and popped int he Kirkstone Pass Inn for some refreshment.

feet.jpg

We spent a total of three days at Waters Edge and was just amazed, everyday we took different routes and all brought amazing views such as the Honister Pass.

IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

Or beautiful Lake vistas...

IMG_0029.jpg

Or wonderful little towns like Ambleside

IMG_0035.jpg

Waters Edge itself was a wonderful location, not far from Kendal it was a great access point. If you don't mind sharing your stay with the ducks, who always made their way to the van in the morning quacking excitedly and of course expecting to be fed.

duck.jpg

I confess, we did end up feeding them, no wonder they were so plump!

Very friendly at Waters Edge, a bit out of season in October but the owner opened the bar for us one afternoon and all the facilities were clean.

So the Beach, how did it fare? It fared well, better than we thought, we lost gas on our stove on the first night but that made no odds. Eating out was cheap and there were some lovely pubs and restaurants. We weren't cold either, the heater was effective and kept us warm. The extra space of the Beach was useful and we developed a routine of turning the bedroom in the lounge and back into a van.

It's a great driving vehicle as well, some of the driving can be challenging in the Lake District, but it felt safe, composed and being high up gave you lots of advantages. We also averaged 40 mpg throughout the trip.

It's hard not to marvel at VW's design, the way the Beach is set out is perfect, and makes the whole experience of going away that little bit more exciting. At Waters Edge it was interesting to notice the owners of the caravans watch you in the morning as you put the roof down, turn the van back into a van and drive off.

James

IMG_0023.jpg

Re: Beach on Tour

Good stuff.

I spent some time growing up not far from Skipton and I have to say when we went through in late September the 'fields' were more like ponds with the sheep and cows on the high points in each it did look funny. I am not surprised the camp site was a challenge :)

You managed to catch the lights which is great we missed out on that by a couple of weeks unfortunately for the 8 year old with us. The lakes can always be bad for rain that's why here are lakes :)

Seems your trip was a similar route to ours but with different sites but the same weather. The lakes was where I discovered water can come through the roof canvas lol

I am glad the van performed well on an extended trip for you it's always slightly unnerving until you have it under your belt.

Here's hoping your next one is in better weather.

Thanks Jock

To be honest, it was quite mild and as much as I like the warmer weather, the cold and the grey add something.

It was our first major trip, so there were some nerves but we were prepared to learn as we go.

It was nice to get away - we've had an eventful year and a break was welcomed.

Thanks for the comments though - much appreciated :)

James

Nice write up and piccies. Great name for a bus ;)

Did you try the cakes in the cafe you're parked outside of in Ambleside?

dan

TwentyOneThirtyFive said:
Nice write up and piccies. Great name for a bus ;)

Did you try the cakes in the cafe you're parked outside of in Ambleside?

dan

We didn't, we'd just stopped for a wander, I take it we should have tried out the cakes?

James

Re: Betty Custard on Tour

It was good cake :p

dan

Nice write-up. Looks like you had a great time!

cheers

Thanks for the write up, it really is lovely reading of advantures on a cold rainy evening. Betty looks fab btw

Hi Linda

Thanks for the kind words. I thought a write up would be interesting so thank you :)

Betty does look fab although at present she needs a really good clean :)

James

Nice Blog James I enjoyed reading it and like the look of Waters Edge. :thumb

Glad you're enjoying Betty your Cali Beach. :D

John

John said:
Nice Blog James I enjoyed reading it and like the look of Waters Edge. :thumb

Glad you're enjoying Betty your Cali Beach. :D

John

Thanks John

Waters Edge is a great site - we'll be back there next summer :)

James

Thanks! I really liked reading it!

We are planning Lake District for next summer, and now we are more determined :thumb

Argo&Liebe said:
Thanks! I really liked reading it!

We are planning Lake District for next summer, and now we are more determined :thumb

Do go - it's amazing and the Cali is perfect for exploring it :)

Thank you for the comments :)

James

Back