Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bed not staying up

C

Chinny

Hi all when I raise my bed so I can stand up it wants to come back down I think the two arms that hold it up must be worn or faulty any ideas on a fix thanks in advance chinny

New gas struts needed I would say

Not surer out price really. fitting them should be easy

It might be possble to regas them. Give SGS Engineering a ring in Derby. If not they can supply new struts for just about anything.

Did you remove all passengers from the bed :)

Any idea of cost and fitting thanks calikev
I had the bed gas strut replaced by SMG Cowfold. I recall it was inexpensive, less than £30 (I have £17 in my memory) and no more than 20 minutes labour. Having held the bed up with an old post for 6 months, it was a welcome surprise.

Yeah they arent expensive to replace thankfully, Ive used SGS too, very good but you will need to fit yourself. For the avoidance of any hassle it may be worth going to a dealer.

Just had to replace the bed gas struts on my 2012 T5.

Ordered the parts from my local VW commercial dealer Eurovans Eastbourne and they were in stock the next day. For the two struts, part number 7H7067081, they only charged £20, cheapest I could find anywhere.
Took no more than 20 minutes to fit them myself and is very easy to do.

To anyone reading this I would recommend contacting your dealer rather than trying to have the struts manufactured for you !

Just had to replace the bed gas struts on my 2012 T5.

Ordered the parts from my local VW commercial dealer Eurovans Eastbourne and they were in stock the next day. For the two struts, part number 7H7067081, they only charged £20, cheapest I could find anywhere.
Took no more than 20 minutes to fit them myself and is very easy to do.

To anyone reading this I would recommend contacting your dealer rather than trying to have the struts manufactured for you !
Hi

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but one of our bed struts has given up the ghost. How did you change them, and what tools do you need? If I can avoid a trip to the dealer, I'm up for a bit of DIY!

Thanks Welshgas/Colin, sounds like it is worth a try then, I'll give it a go!

I've ordered the parts now (£10.50 each) for the struts.

Having looked at the struts again, the top end which is attached to the bed is covered in felt so I can't see how that end is removed. Can I be a pain and ask how anyone else has done this?

I think I can see how to access the clip to remove the bottom end but worried about how easy the top end will be.

Last edited:
Do you have the struts yet? What does that end look like on the new strut? May give a clue as to the fitting method.

Do you have the struts yet? What does that end look like on the new strut? May give a clue as to the fitting method.
No not yet, I'll get them next weekend. I think they are the same at both ends, so not sure how accessible the top end is. I'll post an update when I've attempted it, unless it all goes wrong and I'm sulking.

All done, and we can stand up again!

As previously mentioned, it is dead easy, all you need is a small flat head screwdriver to prise open the clips on the struts, then they just pop off and you push on the new ones.

Took 10 mins to change both, with someone to hold the bed up while I swapped the struts.

I also had to get some of the felt tape to put over the top ends of the struts, as this wasn't supplied with the replacements. Not sure if that is required, but I put it on as that is how they were originally and possibly protects the canvas from rubbing on them.

I'm now going to go and enjoy standing up in the van for a few hours.

I've ordered the parts now (£10.50 each) for the struts.

Having looked at the struts again, the top end which is attached to the bed is covered in felt so I can't see how that end is removed. Can I be a pain and ask how anyone else has done this?

I think I can see how to access the clip to remove the bottom end but worried about how easy the top end will be.
Please can you tell me where got the struts for £10.50p each? The only ones I can find are over £25 each.

Thanks in advance

Please can you tell me where got the struts for £10.50p each? The only ones I can find are over £25 each.

Thanks in advance
I got them direct from a VW dealer (Inchape in Chelmsford)

Club shop
Thanks for the quick reply.
Can't find any in the shop so it looks like I've missed out and will have to bite the bullet and pay £50. Ah well. It's 10 years old so these things happen.
Now, it's on to the intermitent faults on the electric windows and the auxilliary heater.

Thanks for the quick reply.
Can't find any in the shop so it looks like I've missed out and will have to bite the bullet and pay £50. Ah well. It's 10 years old so these things happen.
Now, it's on to the intermitent faults on the electric windows and the auxilliary heater.
Try your VW dealer, that's what I did

Back