Bed Stuck

Meoncoast

Meoncoast

an Ocean by the Sea
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Our SE rear rock and roll seat is in the sleeping possition and will not return to the up position, when you pull the strap between the the seat belts it clicks like normal but the bed stays down

Any ideas ....

Have you tried pulling it forwards slightly? Then pulling the strap whilst kneeling in the middle of the front cushion?

Yes with no luck. Have checked that nothing suck under it or between seat base empty the draw and boot lucky it was not raining , another week away. But thanks

This happened once or twice and was inevitably something stuck somewhere. Sometimes it took a while to locate it too...:headbang

Have emptied under the draw, the back, taken seat covers off taken the tool kit out.
Something trapped was my thought but can't see any thing stuck. At a loss at this time.

Is the head rest stuck? Can you see both seat belt buckles? What about moving the table out? Clutching at straws now.

when you pull the strap between the the seat belts it clicks like normal but the bed stays down
I know that you are an experienced Cali user but can you confirm that you are not just pulling on the strap but rather that you are pushing the 'top' of the seat-back downwards a little and then pulling the strap. With our seat it is essential to 'unlatch' the bed in this way - just pulling the strap has no effect.

If a seat belt jams fully wound in this can prevent the back coming up.

Alan

Tried all of the above bed up and down for 3 year now with not any issue, just developed 2 days out of warranty

Last edited:
Tried all of the above bed up and down for 3 year now with not any issue, just deveiloped 2 days out of warranty
Go and Sweet talk vw into fixing it for you. Tell them it broke before the warranty was up. Must be bust.

Andy,

If you are away and need to try other options, I'd look at cutting the strap that stops the seat base from opening fully so that you can lift the base to have a good look at the mechanism. I did this once when we got something stuck in the drawer.

It's only a plastic strap that's easily replaced for pennies, if indeed you want to replace it.

On the side nearest the kitchen units, possible to reach it with the seat base partially lifted, assuming it's the same as the prefacelift.

Hope this helps.

M

Thanks all will have a good look when home

Hi Andy, I just Google this and it pointed back at VWCC. Maybe something on tis thread would help, and the thread it refers to in the text shows some pictures

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/downstairs-bed-mechanism.10535/

That thread (and my pictures in the linked thread) are to do with the mechanism that controls the sliding of the seat on the floor rails. I dont recall seeing anything in there to do with the back rest unfortunately.
Suspect that would need to be accessed by removing the seat back plastic cover which wont be easy with it horizontal :mad:.
I'll have a look and see if I have any more pics of the mechanism that might help.

had a look at all the pictures that I have of the mechanism in the seat base and can't see anything in there to do with the backrest.
What I have managed to find is a schematic of the backrest :
http://www.partsbase.org/vw/campmob...version-padding-for-rear-seat-head-restaints/

As I suspected all the mechanism is in the backrest not the base. looks like pulling on the strap activates radius rods (9) which in turn pull cable (5) to release what I assume are clips (6). You say in the original post that you get the normal click when pulling the strap, is this on both sides can you tell? Wonder if both sides are releasing or only one.
Have you tried physically pulling the backrest up while also pulling the strap? Just in case one or both of the gas struts has failed?

friend of mine had a similar issue(if i have read the thread correctly) ...it turned out to be fallen nut jammed in the runner...found by VW garage...didn't find where the nut was from though?...hope this helps

Since getting home have tried further to sort but bed remains stuck in the bed position. As it just over 3 years old when it failed trying to get VW HQ to fund repair fully as do not feel this is fit for purpose and would expect the bed function to last the life of the van. The problem is you cant take the bed out in the bed position.

Thinking out loud a bit but wondering how the foam/fabric covering of the backrest is attached to the frame? Possibly someone who has had the rear seat re-trimmed would know. If this could be removed without having to access the back you might be able to see how the latch is (not) working.

Hopefully VW will agree to sort it as your so close to warranty. If not maybe ask for some foc technical advice / copy of workshop guides (do vw dealers have such a thing?) for the seat assembly.

80% good will, and 2 years cover on parts so feel that is better than 100 % and no cover on repair.

80% good will, and 2 years cover on parts so feel that is better than 100 % and no cover on repair.

Congratulations on getting it sorted.
Did they tell you what the problem was and what parts they used?

They are not 100% sure on the parts until they fully take the bed apart they believe it is stuck one side and the cable has stretched or failed so ording all possible parts they are going to have to sacrifice the back of the bed (plastic back of seat)to get at parts due to the possition it is in booked in, in 2 weeks as parts need to come in. Will update once repaired.

We got our Cali back yesterday after 48 hours at Breeze Totton. ( also second service and front brake pads done while with them) The van is minus the rear seat which had to be dismantled in situ as you can not remove it in the bed position. One of the internal "Bowen Cables" in the seat had stuck/distorted, preventing it coming up to the seat position. (not a simple DIY job)

The seat is waiting for one more part to finish off and Breeze will contact and I can pop over for it to be lifted back into the van.

I have again had 1st class service from both Breeze and VW
Breeze keeping me posted along the way and VW checking progress and I was happy with service etc.

Murphys Law thwarted again.:thumb

Back