Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bedding help please!

B

Brightonbelle

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
Hello there! We’re about to take delivery of our new California Ocean (precise date tbc). I’ve tried hard to research bedding and have found old threads with links to items that are no longer available.

Can anyone advise what you have bought recently? The choices for us are either fitted sheets and a 4.5 tog duvet. If we choose this option, which is best of the off the shelf options (links to small double dunelm no longer available). Also, links to purpose made sheets for Cali 6.1 show not available! Any help re brands, sizes etc would be great. Do you buy the same sheets for the top and bottom bed?

We’re now wondering if Duvalay would be worth the investment? Should we buy two singles to start with, then we can have a bed each.

Finally, mattress protectors - we’d presumably need two of these for either the sheet/duvet or Duvalay option? Where to get these from and what size?

Apologies for the long post, but a simple thing like finding bedding is quite a challenge!!

Hello there! We’re about to take delivery of our new California Ocean (precise date tbc). I’ve tried hard to research bedding and have found old threads with links to items that are no longer available.

Can anyone advise what you have bought recently? The choices for us are either fitted sheets and a 4.5 tog duvet. If we choose this option, which is best of the off the shelf options (links to small double dunelm no longer available). Also, links to purpose made sheets for Cali 6.1 show not available! Any help re brands, sizes etc would be great. Do you buy the same sheets for the top and bottom bed?

We’re now wondering if Duvalay would be worth the investment? Should we buy two singles to start with, then we can have a bed each.

Finally, mattress protectors - we’d presumably need two of these for either the sheet/duvet or Duvalay option? Where to get these from and what size?

Apologies for the long post, but a simple thing like finding bedding is quite a challenge!!
Simple is best. We find the VW mattresses perfectly acceptable.
We use an All Season quilt, double size. It comes as a thick and thin quilt buttoned together. We split it and each is in a double sized quilt cover.
If it is cold we sleep on the thin duvet with thick over. If it is warmer, sleep on thick with thin over. If it is very hot we sleep on both with sheet over. When cold we rely on the Parking Heater. Simple to store.
Remember, whatever you buy you have to store it somewhere.

This is what I ended up with and it works well. The only time the the duvet was too thin was when I was sleeping in the top in December and it was below 0 outside.

Duvet: https://dusk.com/supreme-goose-down-4-5-tog-duvet-double.html

Sheets (top and bottom): https://www.dunelm.com/product/pure...ll+Double&bedsheetDepth=25cm&colour=Sandstone

At the moment this is OOS, could maybe ask them if they are getting them back in?: https://www.soakandsleep.com/luxury-100-cotton-quilted-mattress-protector-small-double.html

and 2 x Down Pillows.

All stuffs into one of these: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/frakta-trunk-for-trolley-blue-90149148/

Thanks Welshgas and Brodie, very helpful replies. We’ll sit down and look at providers of small double mattress protectors and fitted sheets. We think we’d be fine with a 4.5 tog and a blanket or fleece for colder weather. But I’m also going to look at the dual weighted quilts as that’s a possibility. You’ve both helped me very much.

Bedding preferences seem to be very personal, everyone likes something different. I would consider the option to use whatever bedding you have at home for the first few trips. That way you can get more of a ‘feel‘ for your own needs.

Personally, I use the Brandrup fitted sheets and a duvet and pillow just like the one I use at home. Makes me feel at home, as opposed to tent camping.

We went with the narrow Duvalay freshtec “sleeping bags” with 4.5tog duvet. We were finding the VW comfort mattress too hard. Wasn’t cheap, but getting a great sleep now.

Obviously this works for us, but everyone has different tastes

Thanks for further input from kingfisher, the saint and calumera. I’ll look at the brandrup, vango and Duvalay options again. Then we’ll need to make a decision. Interesting comment about the Vw comfort mattress being too hard as we have one of these on order. I can’t stand a hard mattress so this might be a deal breaker for me! More softness will be a necessary requirement.

We purchased from below cut to size and its very comfortable, we had from our other motorhomes a double duvet in winter togg and another one summer togg, they both have there own cotton cover and around each one a zip, which makes them into a sleeping bag when you zip together,you sleep on top of the winter one in the summer , summer weight on the top,and then turn it over sleep on the summer one with the winter one on top, works well for us and easy to wash

See below for mattress
The price including one corner cut is as follows

1 – 200 x 114cm Memory Foam Topper Cut to Size With Cover

Deluxe

2” £130

3” £163

4” £223.50

Airflow

2” £168.50

3” £212.50

4” £256.50

If you would like to go ahead you will need to send us a drawing confirming the dimensions you require. Then we can send you a PayPal request and delivery can take 7-10 working days

I hope this helps

Kindest regards
Stacey

Bodymould Mattresses

Unit 1 Dial Post Park
Horsham Road
Rusper
West Sussex
RH12 4QX

01293 871744
sales@bodymouldmattresses.co.uk
www.bodymouldmattresses.co.uk

We bought a nice duvet from IKEA and some pillows from John Lewis. We use normal fitted sheets from IKEA, too. Nothing special.

We always sleep upstairs. And we put down a wool topper on top of a Sea2Summit self inflating mattress. Super comfy and cosy. All on top of the original upstairs mattress.

We keep the downstairs comfort mattress at home, so we have more space in the boot. Hope this helps! We found it took a little experimenting before we found a set up we were happy with. Tried sleeping bags initially, too but prefer the cosy vibes of a duvet.

Thanks Mowbitman and Penny, I’ll have a look at these too. Then we’ll make a decision.
Still no news on a delivery date!

We use a double VW vango auro sleeping bag .
It’s very cosy. Provides extra padding on top of the mattress.
This sounds super cosy. I’ve looked online for a ‘double’ and can see a number of different names (double XL, kingsize) all of which appear to be 170cm wide. Is this the same size as you have? We don’t have our Cali yet, but that seems much wider than we were expecting the top bunk to be.

We bought a nice duvet from IKEA and some pillows from John Lewis. We use normal fitted sheets from IKEA, too. Nothing special.

We always sleep upstairs. And we put down a wool topper on top of a Sea2Summit self inflating mattress. Super comfy and cosy. All on top of the original upstairs mattress.

We keep the downstairs comfort mattress at home, so we have more space in the boot. Hope this helps! We found it took a little experimenting before we found a set up we were happy with. Tried sleeping bags initially, too but prefer the cosy vibes of a duvet.
Same as us. Old duvet, old down mattress pad which I sewed an Egyptian cotton sheet to. We have two down pillows and two memory type pillows that I think date from the 50s. One was made by Dunlop!!

Thanks so much for all of your kind comments and ideas. Having researched everything we have put in an order (fast track) for two Duvalay comfort packs. This gives us a 4cm mattress, winter and summer quilts, two covers and pillow cases each (handy for bedlinen change if no washing facilities available) and all rolls up in its own bag (two all together). Expensive, but relative to what the Cali is costing, not too bad and I’m happy if we get a good night’s sleep! Fingers crossed!

Thanks so much for all of your kind comments and ideas. Having researched everything we have put in an order (fast track) for two Duvalay comfort packs. This gives us a 4cm mattress, winter and summer quilts, two covers and pillow cases each (handy for bedlinen change if no washing facilities available) and all rolls up in its own bag (two all together). Expensive, but relative to what the Cali is costing, not too bad and I’m happy if we get a good night’s sleep! Fingers crossed!
Hope that all works for you :)
We use Belledorm mattress protectors and jersey cotton sheets. Their stuff is not the cheapest but nice quality. Both are fully elasticated so stay on well. Also have a 4.5 tog duvet for summer and use our pillows from home. Duvet goes into a bag during the day and makes a comfy bolster for an afternoon snooze :)

We went with the narrow Duvalay freshtec “sleeping bags” with 4.5tog duvet. We were finding the VW comfort mattress too hard. Wasn’t cheap, but getting a great sleep now.

Obviously this works for us, but everyone has different tastes
Can you keep the duvalays on the top bed when you push the mattress up into the pop top? I realise you’d need to take them down when you want to close the pop top. (We’re waiting for our van, so it’s difficult to picture how much space there is). Thanks.

@Brightonbelle Hope you don’t mind me hi-jacking your thread. Hope your van arrives quickly.

For the upstairs bed, we've bought a single duvet cover to put the mattress in, then another to use as the mattress sheet. We find that mattress very comfortable so no topper needed.
We used the double duvet from our spare room, think it's 7.5 tog, along with our normal pillows to try before we bought anything else. They are perfect for us so bought new for the spare bed . We have a couple of blankets in the van if we get cold but never used them.

For downstairs we bought a small double mattress topper. Think it's a panda. Again it fits perfectly in a single quilt cover instead of having to buy custom sheets. This folds up very neatly on the back shelf and takes up almost no room. We use the same bedding for this bed if sleeping downstairs. The bedding fits neatly folded on the back parcel shelf, or easily placed in 2 ikea storage bags.

Bedding preferences seem to be very personal, everyone likes something different. I would consider the option to use whatever bedding you have at home for the first few trips. That way you can get more of a ‘feel‘ for your own needs.

Personally, I use the Brandrup fitted sheets and a duvet and pillow just like the one I use at home. Makes me feel at home, as opposed to tent camping.
Very basic. I have a medium double duvet, plus a double sleeping bag as a "spare". If we sleep upstairs, the mattress is fairly soft, so we just put a specially-fitted sheet over it. You can leave these things on the upstairs bed and push up the roof during the day, so the bed is ready made-up! If we sleep downstairs we put the sleeping bag down beneath us, as a sort of sheet. That lot, plus two pillows and some slippers and woolly hats, live permanently in the wardrobe.

We bought 2 single jersey (so slightly stretchy) duvet covers from M&S they are grey so match the Cali interior and standard single mattress protectors and put the whole mattresses/ protectors inside the duvet cover. This has the advantage you can fold up the mattress topper sheets and all and they don’t fall off! Check your sizes but it works a treat. We then use duvet/ sleeping bags on top whichever the kids want. Good luck.

Thanks for further input from kingfisher, the saint and calumera. I’ll look at the brandrup, vango and Duvalay options again. Then we’ll need to make a decision. Interesting comment about the Vw comfort mattress being too hard as we have one of these on order. I can’t stand a hard mattress so this might be a deal breaker for me! More softness will be a necessary requirement.
I just use a hot water bottle!

We have a duvalay fitted sheet for the top and bottom beds and 2 duvaley sleeping bags. We’ve also bought a woolroom double duvet as it packs up really small. Hope that helps

We’ve just had our Duvalay comfort pack x 2 delivered. They are very comfortable and we think we’ll have a great nights sleep with them. We’ve also bought two nice fleecy blankets to wrap up with whilst sitting outside in the evening (necessary in chilly Briatain!).

A1CC5545-46A6-459D-9D1F-213D69B33585.jpeg

D2A4560B-1120-44AA-A626-7D6FBA893519.jpeg

Standard double, found a feather and down one better as it does regulate heat better, mostly use a summer rating as it easier to add warmth if needed but cannot remove if too hot.

Standard double, found a feather and down one better as it does regulate heat better, mostly use a summer rating as it easier to add warmth if needed but cannot remove if too hot.
Hi. Plenty of costly options are available ...... but this works well for me. Dunelm Rebound mattress topper on VW mattress, suitable size white duvet cover to enclose. This folds easily back to boot during day. Pillows and duvet from home, shove in vacuum bags for journey if short of space. I though I might end up spending more, but this works well and is very comfortable.

Reactions: AJQ
Back