Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beeping noise!

emma harvey

emma harvey

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We have had a flashing open roof symbol on our control panel. I have cleared it by resetting the control panel. The roof opens and closes without a problem but the flashing symbol keeps coming back and there is a random beeping/clicking noise coming from the control panel/roof. Any ideas? Not sure what would be beeping? Would be very grateful for any advice. J&E

Have you held the close button down until it takes over the pump by itself and presurises the roof down (change in pump noise for about 3 seconds)?

If you are then the pump seals might be letting by and allowing the roof to slacken..

Have you held the close button down until it takes over the pump by itself and presurises the roof down (change in pump noise for about 3 seconds)?

If you are then the pump seals might be letting by and allowing the roof to slacken..

Thank you. Yes we do that every time we close the roof. It’s more of a warning beep noise accompanied with the flashing open roof light on the consol.

Are you sure the roof IS fully closed ? Did you visual checked arround the roofs edges?

Open the roof fully and keep pressing the button until the pump stops .
Lower the roof and keep pressing the buttun until the pump stops

Reset the control panel .

Are you sure the roof IS fully closed ? Did you visual checked arround the roofs edges?

Open the roof fully and keep pressing the button until the pump stops .
Lower the roof and keep pressing the buttun until the pump stops

Reset the control panel .
Thank you. Pretty sure we’ve done this but will do it again. How would you recommend resetting the control button? We’ve held the back button for 5 seconds. Thank you again

A copy past of the exellent explenation from a other post by @WelshGas

Reset the Control Panel

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)
2. You will get the hidden menu.
3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.
4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"
5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear. Make a note.
6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors
7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!
8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.

A copy past of the exellent explenation from a other post by @WelshGas

Reset the Control Panel

1. Hold down the centre of the rotary button together with the menu button (button below with the squares on it)
2. You will get the hidden menu.
3. Rotate the rotary button to get to "VW diagnose" and select this by pressing on the centre of the rotary button.
4. If no errors are present it will display "no errors"
5. If Errors are present then a list of errors will appear. Make a note.
6. Press the centre of the rotary button again to delete all the errors
7. Repeat process above just to check that errors have dissapeared!
8. Re-configure the time and date if neccesary.
Thank you so much. James thinks he’s done this as he got a code. He will do it again to see!! Much appreciated, thank you

So we’ve done all the checks, it’s error code 1000. Any other advice would be appreciated!!!

So we’ve done all the checks, it’s error code 1000. Any other advice would be appreciated!!!
did you find a fix? I"ve got exactly the same issue - random beeping noise, says the roof is open, roof will not move up or down, although fortunately it is shut and the error code it gives me is 1000, but I can't clear it by holding down the central twist button.

did you find a fix? I"ve got exactly the same issue - random beeping noise, says the roof is open, roof will not move up or down, although fortunately it is shut and the error code it gives me is 1000, but I can't clear it by holding down the central twist button.
Hi did you get a fix for this, I have exactly the same issue VW Assist could n't help after 2 calls and a call out referred me to the dealer, who very helpfully insisted there is nothing they can do for 2 and half weeks due to being busy!!! even though van is dealer serviced and still under warranty
Hawco Inverness have a very unhappy customer so any help with cures would be gratefully received

Hi Just found another thread where VW guru explains its the roof sensor and wiring loom needs to be ordered.....So thanks VW Guru
Just wondered though is it normal practice for main dealers to be booking 2 to 3 weeks ahead and to refuse to even look at a fault before that?
Just really disappointed with VW never really had this problem with other vehicles.

Hi did you get a fix for this, I have exactly the same issue VW Assist could n't help after 2 calls and a call out referred me to the dealer, who very helpfully insisted there is nothing they can do for 2 and half weeks due to being busy!!! even though van is dealer serviced and still under warranty
Hawco Inverness have a very unhappy customer so any help with cures would be gratefully received
We ended up going to VW preston, who looked at it quite quickly for us. I explained that we'd had pretty awful service at other dealerships and they did keep me updated every step of the way. They essentially took the wiring loom out and found a faulty section of wire - the sensors, magnets and the rest of the loom were all fine (according to them). They also insisted on checking the control panel etc, as they said it could be that but as everything was working from the control panel, I said that was highly doubtful and didn't pay for the labour on that part of the job. It has been working perfectly until about a month ago. We know need to have the engine on to raise and lower the roof - but I think that's battery issue, but we now have a tick saying the roof is closed but the blinking roof open sign saying it isn't - when it obviously is .... if I could swap for a manual roof but keep the rest of the Cali, I'd do it in a heartbeat!
Good luck sorting yours.

Thanks for reply, luckily ours is still under warranty, unless they try to wriggle out of that I don't need to worry about cost. Not sure if I am expecting to much but feel the dealership and VW assist response very disappointing. Thanks for the info as hopefully it will help point them in the right direction

Hi Just found another thread where VW guru explains its the roof sensor and wiring loom needs to be ordered.....So thanks VW Guru
Just wondered though is it normal practice for main dealers to be booking 2 to 3 weeks ahead and to refuse to even look at a fault before that?
Just really disappointed with VW never really had this problem with other vehicles.
There is another good thread where you can buy just the connectors
instead of the loom.

There is another good thread where you can buy just the connectors
instead of the loom.
I think this might be the one.

Thanks Westfalia, fascinating reading. As I am still under warranty I will leave it unto VW to repair
but now feel additional knowledge will help me make sure I get a proper fix.
I usually use a topper if rain is on the horizon but last trip was in a rush and left it in the shed.
We had some very heavy rain so that ties up with the suspicion of water ingress as the cause of the problem. I do regularly clear the channels of debris so doubt that was the cause
I will update after VW sort the issue

Back