Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beginners guide... things to consider!

Kelly & Rob

Kelly & Rob

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all,

We are so excited as we're on the countdown to picking up our California!

So, before we start planning all of the exciting stuff of where to go etc... we'd welcome any hints or tips that you may have for two novices on all things practical. One of the key things we need to sort out.. seat covers! We've seen an earlier feed and looked in the Cali Shop but it appears to be for a T6 and ours is a 2012 T5.

Hope you can help us and we look forward to our new adventures.

Thanks in advance!

The seat covers will fit you just need the smaller headrest covers

Welcome , lots of treads on essentials , seatcovers , where tu put stuff ....potable toilets....:D

This great forum got it all....

Just picked up my Cali last week , I bought the vw seat covers , they seemed the best best until finding a sensible other option , re: price quality and easy fitting . IMG_0044.JPG IMG_0040.JPG I had been told they are ether same as the cheaper inka ones , they may be very similar but they seem a little better material and fit . I used inka ones before on a hire cali . Of course they have the logo too , this is nice , looks good. So far only fitted the back one because the dog goes on it and jumps over to the rear shelf . I also bought a bungee and level ups . I decided to buy an easy rack , which although makes it impossible to open the rear door just for travelling with extra stuff and not having to fill the Cali , say with tents of covers , I think it was a good idea. At trident trailers these are only £184 ! , they are very light and easy to take off and on , so if you had to open the rear door on route it would be easy . I'm thinking of having it modified so that the door could be opened, it's possible. Also I bought a double duvet from Halfords for £20 and it's excellent on the top bed , very light weight and hardly takes any space .

I hope you have a lot of fun in your Cali

Best wishes

Just picked up my Cali last week , I bought the vw seat covers , they seemed the best best until finding a sensible other option , re: price quality and easy fitting . View attachment 23284 View attachment 23285 I had been told they are ether same as the cheaper inka ones , they may be very similar but they seem a little better material and fit . I used inka ones before on a hire cali . Of course they have the logo too , this is nice , looks good. So far only fitted the back one because the dog goes on it and jumps over to the rear shelf . I also bought a bungee and level ups . I decided to buy an easy rack , which although makes it impossible to open the rear door just for travelling with extra stuff and not having to fill the Cali , say with tents of covers , I think it was a good idea. At trident trailers these are only £184 ! , they are very light and easy to take off and on , so if you had to open the rear door on route it would be easy . I'm thinking of having it modified so that the door could be opened, it's possible. Also I bought a double duvet from Halfords for £20 and it's excellent on the top bed , very light weight and hardly takes any space .

Best wishes
Really helpful, thank you! Do you mind me asking how much you paid for them? We're considering the Inka options at the moment as they will be suitable short term especially with our dog.

Welcome , lots of treads on essentials , seatcovers , where tu put stuff ....potable toilets....:D

This great forum got it all....
Thank you for the welcome - it's been really helpful so far! We look forward to contributing in the future.

Just picked up my Cali last week , I bought the vw seat covers , they seemed the best best until finding a sensible other option , re: price quality and easy fitting . View attachment 23284 View attachment 23285 I had been told they are ether same as the cheaper inka ones , they may be very similar but they seem a little better material and fit . I used inka ones before on a hire cali . Of course they have the logo too , this is nice , looks good. So far only fitted the back one because the dog goes on it and jumps over to the rear shelf . I also bought a bungee and level ups . I decided to buy an easy rack , which although makes it impossible to open the rear door just for travelling with extra stuff and not having to fill the Cali , say with tents of covers , I think it was a good idea. At trident trailers these are only £184 ! , they are very light and easy to take off and on , so if you had to open the rear door on route it would be easy . I'm thinking of having it modified so that the door could be opened, it's possible. Also I bought a double duvet from Halfords for £20 and it's excellent on the top bed , very light weight and hardly takes any space .

Best wishes
Nice seat covers. How much please ?

Best wishes

I trimmed the vertical bars to just below the holes where the hand wheels go, this enables me to leave the easy base on when empty and the tailgate opens without any issues.

Nice seat covers. How much please ?
Thanks - I paid the full VW price of £200 inc vat I think , they added them onto my bill so it was paled into insignificance LOL, but really considering they are easy to take off and on , they are washable , approved airbags and all that and can resell if you find a better answer in the future , which is also good for the doggy was the only solution for me right now

I trimmed the vertical bars to just below the holes where the hand wheels go, this enables me to leave the easy base on when empty and the tailgate opens without any issues.

Great thanks , this does seem a solution ...do you use a big bag like the easy bag or the back box with it ?

Really helpful, thank you! Do you mind me asking how much you paid for them? We're considering the Inka options at the moment as they will be suitable short term especially with our dog.
Thanks - I paid the full VW price of £200 inc vat I think , they added them onto my bill so it was paled into insignificance LOL, but really considering they are easy to take off and on , they are washable , approved airbags and all that and can resell if you find a better answer in the future , which is also good for the doggy was the only solution for me right now

They do look pretty similar to the Inka covers. They are utilitarian and I realise not everyone likes them (many seem to prefer Second Skins or getting leather re-trims, although obv. at a higher cost) but for us with the dog etc they are very practical and we're very happy with them. I've never taken them off to wash, as a quick sluice/sponge down in situ down restores them to our (admittedly low) standard.

They do look pretty similar to the Inka covers. They are utilitarian and I realise not everyone likes them (many seem to prefer Second Skins or getting leather re-trims, although obv. at a higher cost) but for us with the dog etc they are very practical and we're very happy with them. I've never taken them off to wash, as a quick sluice/sponge down in situ down restores them to our (admittedly low) standard.
Yes I agree , the thing is about these second skins , they are costly and also I understand often very hard to fit and take off for washing. I would like leather seats and maybe this is the eventual solution for me. My wife did not like sitting on the Inka seats , especially when the heating is on in the seat , she thought they were smelly

Some VW dealers will give VIP discount, I got mine, embroidered for the Beach, from my own dealer (Preston) where Guy sorted out a nice discount.
They are smart and practical but, like any waterproof cover, can be a little sweaty on warm days, but it keeps the muddy or damp paws off the original material. On longer trips on hot days a front seat cover can be removed in a minute or so.

As my GF always points out when I say they are sweaty, well take them off and let the seats absorb it. Usually convinces me to leave them on lol

:Depressed

Last edited:
We haven't yet found seat covers we like:
1. Brandrup - fit well, airbag tested, comfy / expensive, dull design IMO (I don't want to spend loads of cash on something that doesn't alter the seats' appearance).
2. Jackyards - nice designs / expensive considering they're not airbag tested.
3. VW / Inka - good value but I couldn't live with these permanently. I might be tempted though for when we put damp windsurfing stuff in the Cali.

For now, we just use a combination of throws and large micro-fibre towels to keep the seats clean.

Great thanks , this does seem a solution ...do you use a big bag like the easy bag or the back box with it ?

Hi I use the easy base bag, with another bag on the bike rack with 1 bike.

Thank you

We haven't yet found seat covers we like:
1. Brandrup - fit well, airbag tested, comfy / expensive, dull design IMO (I don't want to spend loads of cash on something that doesn't alter the seats' appearance).
2. Jackyards - nice designs / expensive considering they're not airbag tested.
3. VW / Inka - good value but I couldn't live with these permanently. I might be tempted though for when we put damp windsurfing stuff in the Cali.

For now, we just use a combination of throws and large micro-fibre towels to keep the seats clean.
Thank you - I agree on every point. We've ordered vw seat covers. For me the van is in such great condition I can't take the chance with a dog that likes pulling a throw off!!

Some VW dealers will give VIP discount, I got mine, embroidered for the Beach, from my own dealer (Preston) where Guy sorted out a nice discount.
They are smart and practical but, like any waterproof cover, can be a little sweaty on warm days, but it keeps the muddy or damp paws off the original material. On longer trips on hot days a front seat cover can be removed in a minute or so.
Thank you! We've ordered vw covers.

Yes I agree , the thing is about these second skins , they are costly and also I understand often very hard to fit and take off for washing. I would like leather seats and maybe this is the eventual solution for me. My wife did not like sitting on the Inka seats , especially when the heating is on in the seat , she thought they were smelly
Thank you for your advice. VW it is.

• Agree
Reactions: JRD
I first had Inka but I didn't t like the feel of sitting on a plastic bag. Now I don't use any and just wrap the dogs in the seat covers when they come with me :shocked

Seriously I'm with Rob above. Never found any that suit me so just use micro fibre towels as a throw whenever I need to.

Mum one general bit of advice is to buy as little as possible in advance of the van arriving. Two weeks into using it and you will find that most of what you considered "essential" is left at home in the dedicated van cupboard and most of what you need is still on the suppliers shelves :(

My essentials for the van...
Levelling chocks
Something to fill the water tank when you run out
Microfibres towels
Air compressor, torque spanner (you will get a puncture)
Comforts Leisure awning (as you can also just use one panel as a windbreak)
12v USB converter and leads
Portable UE speaker
Sparesafe (when you get a puncture...you will need a spare wheel)
Frisbee
Proper pillows
Mini dust pan and brush