Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beginners Q after first hire

C

CaspersCali

Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Hi,

Just had a weekend in a hired virtually brand new T6 conversion. This was done a) for a bit of a holiday & b) to get an idea if camper camping works for our family with a view of potentially looking at cali's in the near future. Unfortunately we couldn't get our hands on a cali to hire this time.

The weekend went pretty well (even though the weather was patchy). The van was a reasonable conversion with some obvious downsides to a cali I thought (non spinning front seat, non moving back seat, table just stashed in a corner etc).

I know now we need to have a look at cali to compare but have a quick question before I track one down.

The conversion we hired was based on a 102hp bog standard van. I consider this van to have been slightly underpowered and would look at a 150hp cali. Should I expect the cali to drive significantly different to this van in respect to handling, sound deadening, significant performance improvement.

I suppose I'm asking, ignoring the camper aspect of the cali, are there any driving performance advantages over a converted boggo van?

thanks
tony

Conversions:

Vehicles based on a transporter with a budget in mind.

I am not being critical of conversions, just they are built to be cheap, most of them, apologies to Bilbo's, autohaus, Vanworks, etc.

The Cali is based on the 150 or 204 for a reason. It is lugging around a load of weight and anything less would be quite pathetic. I know, I tried one.

The Cali is quite amazing at how it uses space. A few personal observations: Look at the sliding door trim, that's actually a table. Then lift the rear tailgate and zipped into it is a couple of chairs. Slide the interior table along in the Cali, it fits anywhere. Swivel the seats, the space to live in such a small vehicle is tardis like.No conversion that I have ever seen uses space so economically as a Cali.

Their is no comparison. I have tried them al. Step into a Cali and it's built for the job. Seriously, some of the conversions, and I just mention Bilbo's and Vanworks, are brilliant products. It's what you want. They are pound for pound, engine for engine, just as expensive. The Cali is one-shop shopping. Built and serviced by VW.

Your choice.

Welcome on board Tony , as said above a Cali should feel very diffrent compared to a converted van ....

Last edited:
I think you will find a Cali much quieter inside as I believe they have been built with double rubbers etc around the doors compared to a transporter.

the California is also available with 102 bhp .....

Having been given a 2017 102 manual panel Van as a courtesy vehicle (great for a few trips to the to tip ) it was clear that the Cali is a much more refined drive all round.

the California is also available with 102 bhp .....
I thought in the UK the T6 California was only available in 150 and 204 versions

the 102 T6 is available in the uk .... and according to honest John and the auto express and me, it's the best in the range ;)

The 102 may be for the beach, my t5 is a 114ps which I understand was beach only too.

I consider my 114 adequate power wise cruises well on the motorway, I reckon it could use more oomph between about 40 and 50 for when coming onto dual carriageways etc.

Also to follow up on Jen's point, the conversions obviously came first and VW took their time and got on the bandwagon late in the game. They were mostly happy to let Westfalia et al do the campers for most of the life of the Transporter. I think although you can do a conversion "cheap" most decent ones are no cheaper than buying a factory Cali. The advantage of warranty and single point of contact for issues (and potential clashes of warranty between converter and VW) are valuable too.

I've converted a van, the beauty is making it exactly what you want, the downside is the finish may not always be upto a cali unless you spend serious money.

Thanks for the advice all. Next step will be having a close look at a cali I think!.

thanks
Tony

sorry i missed out the california and beach bit .... the California Beach T6 102 is available in the uk .... and Beach, Coast and Ocean 102 are all available for our more deserved foreign friends :)

I think you're right to say that a lot of conversions are based on 102 or even the 84 ps engines.. People remap them. My van is the 150 ps and lovely to drive. The main difference for me was I wanted a 6-speed gearbox, great for motorways but an upside has been how nice this van is to drive at lower speeds round town.

If you are planning on exploring ....and going into the mountains...be they the Pyrenees , or even just passes like the Devils staircase or bwulch y groes in Wales, you need more than 102 if you have diesel, water, camping kit, the misses, kids etc. My 180 T5 was down to second with just me , in the Pyrenees recently.
As is often said here, make the opportunity to hire one and compare. Bongo, T5 , And cali,, After trying, I found my decision easy,,,,,,but it was good fun trying the others.

Not been over there I've done Porlock hill in my 114 it was absolutely fine but yes low gears were a must, they would be in most vehicles. You as above though will find it easier in a higher powered van. Only car I ever drove up there that didn't need a low gear was my Alfa Romeo Brera 210bhp diesel.

Mine is frighteningly quick with a 2.5td engine the power you get even in 5th gear is awesome especially with the weight it is carrying