Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Belgium campsites

Bennybristol

Bennybristol

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Dear All,

Some advice if you please. Checked out the travel threads but cannot see anything about camping in Belgium. Looking for some recommendations for our family of four during our May half term holiday. Surely some families have stopped in Belgium and not just ploughed through to Germany or Holland....

Look forward to reading your thoughts.

Cheers

Benny

We did a tour last Easter. There’s a thread here. Hope it helps or just ask.

The Ardennes are beautiful and perfect narrow roads for the Cali.

We did a tour last Easter. There’s a thread here. Hope it helps or just ask.

The Ardennes are beautiful and perfect narrow roads for the Cali.

Some questions help bring out hidden travel gems. Thanks for sharing your travelogue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've stayed here in Bruges

Nice to hear you are thinking of actually visiting Belgium ,the most stories i read on this forum UK travelers just travel thru and rarely use campsites as they are on the way to a diffrent European destinatian and just arrived from the Ferry/tunnel and want to travel ahead.
There sure are campsites in Belgium , lots are near the coast and in the Ardenne region.
We acutally never camp in our own country a lot so i can not give much reccomendation.
Sure there are some threads from others who did use campsites in Belgium .
City's like Brugge , Gent , Antwerp all have camping close to town.
Using the sites like ACSI or other campingsearch-websites will sure give locations.

I think we’re going back to Belgium this Easter, great country to travel in. Will follow this thread with interest.

I've stayed here in Bruges

+1 for Camping Memling and lovely Bruges

Simon.

Love Bruge…. been there 3x for cycling and once on a corporate weekend. Beautiful place. Most go again

Some more here:

There is a fairly new camperpark in Westende
And in Knokke
Thisone in Blankenberge

All the three above are on the coastline.

If you use
And
You will find more

Loved Belgium, great people, lovely country. It was a big surprise and so close to Calais, if the tunnel was cheaper I'd visit a lot more.

Memling is great for Bruges, we also stayed at a site near Antwerp that is in the city centre, a bit tired but location was great (as long as there isnt an open air dance party in the park).

Ghent I think would be our next place to visit when we next return.

Dear All,

Some advice if you please. Checked out the travel threads but cannot see anything about camping in Belgium. Looking for some recommendations for our family of four during our May half term holiday. Surely some families have stopped in Belgium and not just ploughed through to Germany or Holland....

Look forward to reading your thoughts.

Cheers

Benny
Great Question Benny, that's exactly what we're doing ;-)

Hi All, thanks very much for taking the time to reply. Once again I have received great information to help plan my travels. We have settled on Memling Brugge for a couple of nights on route to the Ardennes. We have them booked Parc la Clusure for 4 nights. I’ll let you know how we get on. #stilllivingthedream

So, for now all the campsites are still shut in Belgium, but I am also reliably informed that there is currently no limit on how far you can drive to undertake you chosen 'sporting activity'. In other words, the police are effectively no-longer running checks other than in hot-spots (the coast for example) and at the borders. I am thinking of heading one hour or two hours south of Brussels, leaving Friday morning, for a full day walk somewhere nice. Then, depending on how things look, i might accidentally sleep overnight if I can find a totally isolated spot. (and there are a fair few of them in south of Belgium.) Any super stealthy places to recommend anyone?

I'll probably use park4night, or just find a small track somewhere.

STAY AT HOME UNTIL THE ALL CLEAR ! DO NOT GIVE US ALL A BAD NAME

I'm in Belgium, and as i said, there is no restriction on day-trips for sporting activities. I guess you could say "go home before midnight!". An option I am considering, but I don't think the reputation-issues for campers are quite the same here as in the UK.

Last edited:
Take noting but pics, leave nothing but footprints, pollute nothing but a bit of breathing air :welcome

See the European Corona measures overview re. camping on acsi.eu. Belgian campsites are closed until at least June 8.
Measures in Belgium
Starting from May 4th Belgium is gradually easing its corona measures.

• Mouth masks obligated in public transport from May 4th.
  • Museums and other cultural institutions are open.
  • Outdoor businesses like zoos and playgrounds are allowed to open
  • Major shops are allowed to open if they’ve taken precautionary measures.
  • Pubs closed
  • Grouping ban for groups of more than 20 people.
  • Most close contact professions allowed.
  • All public events are forbidden until June 20th.
Campsites in Belgium
Campsites and hotels in Belgium are closed until at least June 8th.

Travel advice from Belgium
Belgium has a ban on travel for its own citizens for all international travel, with the exception of essential journeys.

Don't think you should go camping there while Belgium still has a ban on international travel for its own citizens...

I live here and i am not going to be travelling internationally. We are allowed to drive to the countryside to walk, with no limit on driving within Belgium, so i guess I could do that, then come back here at night, so just do long day trips. Let's see.

I live here and i am not going to be travelling internationally. We are allowed to drive to the countryside to walk, with no limit on driving within Belgium, so i guess I could do that, then come back here at night, so just do long day trips. Let's see.

You might finish that nice bottle in the fridge after your 'hiking', and then act responsible, and sleep it out,... ;-)
I mean, as long as we stay responsible, and wise, no? Way better than going to lay down in a reserved (!) 2M2 beach area, amongst thousands of others, like what's going to happen at our coast here. Is the campervan not getting called the perfect "Mobile Isolation Suite"? So I just, as always, will avoid camping sites.

Last edited:
you posted a photo of you by a lake here once Auberg-ine, with a place name, and i found it from google satelite + street view, and went there with my kids recently and had a lovely day out. (before the lock-down!). So thanks for that tip!

1590007138460.png