Bellows Bungee

WelshGas

WelshGas

Retired after 42 yrs and enjoying Life.
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
I bought my Bellows Bungee last year. It is a greyish colour. It seems to have lost its elasticity. I note the Bungees picture in the Forum shop seems darker in colour. Is it different?
If it is the same and likely to loose it's elasticity in less than a year then I will probably be better off sourcing my own elastic cord.

Drop us an email and we can sort something out as we did have a bad batch of bungee at one point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't think elastic, water, heat, cold, and UV are good friends for long at the best of times, but if you get a replacement within a year, you might get two years out of one. Alternatively, you can get the same stuff for under a fiver. I'm still being told that it's not recommended to use one, so make sure it's not causing any damage when you change it over.:thumb

Having just received my Cali back from AB Crush with brand new canvas and roof repaired I was intrigued by the bungee thing. In 5 years ownership I have not had a problem with canvas catching in the bellows struts. But it seems from this forum it's not uncommon. However in our last outing before the repairs we were in Cornwall when that storm passed 2-3 weeks ago. My daughter who sleeps upstairs put her wash bag against the side of the canvas and we had our first ever leak - a fairly major one. Great timing as we now have a brand new tent thingy courtesy of VW. However it made me think does the bungee not affect the waterproofness of the canvas? Do you only put it on top lower the top? Apologies if this is a dumb question.

No problems with waterproofness, as it is on the outside, and yes it stays on.
I believe this Bungee has been around for a while, originating in Germany on their equivalent German forum some years ago.
If you use your California all year round then, in winter with very gusty wind { mind you this summer hasn't been much better } then it doesn't take much between checking the roof and getting back to pressing the button again for a gust to bellow the canvas out, especially with a door or window open. This makes sure that the likelihood of that happening is reduced.

I use one after a hairy descent of the roof at COTF in 2014. In the end I moved the vehicle round into the wind with the roof up. I don't rely on it but it's not much money in the grand scheme of things.
Zebedee

I got one but still managed to get the canvas between the scisors....
BUT is was my own fault , much rain and heavy wind ( in Norway)when i closed the roof and i diden't bother to open the door enough....so it must have popt out even whit the bungee strap!
So it is not a miricalmaker but a very hand item at least for the price it coast....
And one must always open door(s) and check visible while closing the roof!

I bought my Bellows Bungee last year. It is a greyish colour. It seems to have lost its elasticity. I note the Bungees picture in the Forum shop seems darker in colour. Is it different?
If it is the same and likely to loose it's elasticity in less than a year then I will probably be better off sourcing my own elastic cord.

doesn't take much between checking the roof and getting back to pressing the button again for a gust to bellow the canvas out, especially with a door or window open.

I tend to pop my head inside the roof as it is coming down, allows me to see if the fabric is correctly folded in as I control the descent. You can see pretty well the status of the canvas until it's less than a foot from closing.I imagine you'd be able to spot hints of trouble this way? On windy days I still get out and have a look around "just in case", but that's possibly just me being paranoid.

How elastic should the bungees be?

Mine’s fine when it’s up but collapses and is really loose when the roof is coming down. I tried it tighter but it seemed too tight.

Mine is pretty taut all the time but not overly so. I clearly see it help the fabric to fold properly while lowering the roof.

This might be the easiest thing to DIY, 20 meter roll of bungee cord for about 6£. If it goes bad just swap it in a matter of seconds.

Do you do that with your underpants :D:D
Blimy, that post was in 2015. The Original Bungee cord was faulty and replaced by the Forum Shop.
Underpants tend to wear out elsewhere, never the elastic.:thumb

These are the instructions I had with mine in 2015
bellows-bungee-jpg.14986

Resurectected this thread as it was about bungee elasticity. What I’d like to know is if the elastic is tight is around the bellows when open, should it keep a bit of a grip when closing. I am thinking that my elastic may not be as elastic as it should be.

Mine keeps a bit of tension and pulls it inwards until there is a large inward fold and then it just sits there until the roof shuts getting looser & looser. It sits on the point where the stiffening panels fold. On the T6, which I think yours is, there are stiffening panels that make to folding better. The bungee just ensures that they fold inwards.
How long have you had your bungee? If it is from 2018 it should be one of the later type that came out in 2017. Mine is still very stretchy and works well. Do make sure you have a window or a door open on the downwind side of the Cali to let the air out. It doesn't need much of a start to make it fold inwards and if it was tight a lot of the way down it would be very tight when the roof is up. You should be able to push your hand behind the bungee on the corners. If you are coming to Slimbridge in May I can show you if you like.
Hope this helps.
Simon

Mine keeps a bit of tension and pulls it inwards until there is a large inward fold and then it just sits there until the roof shuts getting looser & looser. It sits on the point where the stiffening panels fold. On the T6, which I think yours is, there are stiffening panels that make to folding better. The bungee just ensures that they fold inwards.
How long have you had your bungee? If it is from 2018 it should be one of the later type that came out in 2017. Mine is still very stretchy and works well. Do make sure you have a window or a door open on the downwind side of the Cali to let the air out. It doesn't need much of a start to make it fold inwards and if it was tight a lot of the way down it would be very tight when the roof is up. You should be able to push your hand behind the bungee on the corners. If you are coming to Slimbridge in May I can show you if you like.
Hope this helps.
Simon
Hi Simon. I bought it in the shop a few weeks ago, and it’s only been on about 10 days. Top has been up and down about 5 times since.

Hi Simon. I bought it in the shop a few weeks ago, and it’s only been on about 10 days. Top has been up and down about 5 times since.
I also put some strips of gaffa tape on the corners wear the bungee rests with a bit of adjusting after you go up and down with roof a few times

It should be absolutely fine after that short time. Try putting your hand under the cord on the corner and it should feel a little tight, but not much and it will go slack as you lower the roof. You are right to take it seriously because it is easy to lower the roof in a hurry and end up damaging the bellows. The advice further up the thread about putting your head up in the roof as it starts to come down to make sure all the sides are folding inwards is exactly what I do every time. It only takes a few moments to check and the time you don't is when it goes wrong.

Back