Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best All Weather Tyres

Nick.C

Nick.C

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have just got hold of 18” Sportline wheels and looking to furnish them with all weather tyres. Having read various threads, Mitchelin CrossClimate + and Bridgestone Weather control A005 seem to get mentioned a lot, but which is the best? Having looked online the cheapest price I can find for 255/45 18R 103Y for each type brings the Bridgestone tyres in at about £50 cheaper per tyre (£200 per set), which naturally is leaning me towards the Bridgestones. But is this a false economy? Are the CrossClimate tyres that much better and/or will they last longer? Are there other All weather tyres that I should be looking at? Has anyone managed to find the Bridgestone A005 tyres for less than £127 recently? As ever any help and advice would be really appreciated.

I have had Bridgestone weather control A005 on 18 inch wheels. Terrible in snow. Good in wet weather. Wear out relatively quickly.
I could find Michelin cross climates to fit 18 inch wheels.

I have had Bridgestone weather control A005 on 18 inch wheels. Terrible in snow. Good in wet weather. Wear out relatively quickly.
Couldn’t find...

Oponeo has them avail, but at quite an eye watering price. £172.
This is delivered only, so you need to add fitting on top.

The Bridgestone A005 are £136

Not started looking in anger, but will be in the need of some new boots for the van soon & these 2 are on my list.

Oponeo has them avail, but at quite an eye watering price. £172.
This is delivered only, so you need to add fitting on top.

The Bridgestone A005 are £136

Not started looking in anger, but will be in the need of some new boots for the van soon & these 2 are on my list.
Pneus online have got the Bridgestones for £127 delivered. Mitchelins seem few and far between at the moment. The price you found for the Mitchelins beats any I found by about £8 per tyre.

I think you posted about Norway recently so possibly not comparing like for like driving experiences, with most of our winter driving being in the uk. The wear on the Bridgestones is a concern though.

I think you posted about Norway recently so possibly not comparing like for like driving experiences, with most of our winter driving being in the uk. The wear on the Bridgestones is a concern though.
Yes, I brought them because I found a review which showed they performed better than cross climates in the wet, not as well in snow, so they are fine for the UK climate, unless you’re in the highlands.
I’m not sure how many miles I’ve done in them, maybe 10000, really not sure, the fronts looked nearly worn out. They are ok but I wouldn’t buy them again.

Yes, I brought them because I found a review which showed they performed better than cross climates in the wet, not as well in snow, so they are fine for the UK climate, unless you’re in the highlands.
I’m not sure how many miles I’ve done in them, maybe 10000, really not sure, the fronts looked nearly worn out. They are ok but I wouldn’t buy them again.
Thanks, really helpful.

I have just replaced my all seasons on another vehicle, i put them
on when the vehicle was new and took off the summers that it had.

Ive now put the summers back on until winter.
They were Vredestein Quatrac 235 50 18s

I got 35000 kms out of them and they were hard driven, so for me i
would buy them again.

I have just replaced my all seasons on another vehicle, i put them
on when the vehicle was new and took off the summers that it had.

Ive now put the summers back on until winter.
They were Vredestein Quatrac 235 50 18s

I got 35000 kms out of them and they were hard driven, so for me i
would buy them again.
I must add.

Half way through, i swapped the front to back so i had an even wear.

Following on from the 27 all season tyre braking shootout, Auto Bild have published their excellent 2018 all season tyre test. Testing the best ten 195/65 R15 all season tyres from the braking test, Auto Bild have done an incredibly thorough job putting all the tyre patterns through the usual array or dry, wet and snow testing.

The New Tyre
The most interesting part of this test must be the inclusion of the new Bridgestone Weather Control A005, as it's the first time this new tyre has featured in a full all season tyre test.
If you're just looking at the results as the overall standings, you'd be forgiven for dismissing the Bridgestone as a purchase option, but for the most of the UK this new tyre might actually be one of the BEST options for year round motoring in the UK.
Why? Because it has significant advantages in wet and dry braking, even beating the dry master the Michelin CrossClimate+, and matches the excellent performance in dry and wet handling. While it's snow performance is it's weakness, it's still significantly better than the reference summer tyre in the test. With the UK climate being dry or wet 99% of the year, the balance of performance the Bridgestone offers is more acceptable to our climate than it is to the German testers.

Following on from the 27 all season tyre braking shootout, Auto Bild have published their excellent 2018 all season tyre test. Testing the best ten 195/65 R15 all season tyres from the braking test, Auto Bild have done an incredibly thorough job putting all the tyre patterns through the usual array or dry, wet and snow testing.

The New Tyre
The most interesting part of this test must be the inclusion of the new Bridgestone Weather Control A005, as it's the first time this new tyre has featured in a full all season tyre test.
If you're just looking at the results as the overall standings, you'd be forgiven for dismissing the Bridgestone as a purchase option, but for the most of the UK this new tyre might actually be one of the BEST options for year round motoring in the UK.
Why? Because it has significant advantages in wet and dry braking, even beating the dry master the Michelin CrossClimate+, and matches the excellent performance in dry and wet handling. While it's snow performance is it's weakness, it's still significantly better than the reference summer tyre in the test. With the UK climate being dry or wet 99% of the year, the balance of performance the Bridgestone offers is more acceptable to our climate than it is to the German testers.
Very helpful, but even more confused now!! Having said that, so far I have only been able find the Bridgestone and CrossClimates in 255/45 r18 103Y. Swinging towards the CrossClimates if I can find them a fair bit cheaper than £172 Big Ted has found.

Very helpful, but even more confused now!! Having said that, so far I have only been able find the Bridgestone and CrossClimates in 255/45 r18 103Y. Swinging towards the CrossClimates if I can find them a fair bit cheaper than £172 Big Ted has found.
People on this forum seem to really rate cross climates. I’ve never had them so can’t comment.

People on this forum seem to really rate cross climates. I’ve never had them so can’t comment.
I guess you get what you pay for, but they are expensive when compared to the Bridgestones. I will keep the lookout for them at a lower price

Reports here seem to suggest the factory supplied 17" Bridgestones don't last long, whereas the 16" Bridgestones supplied on the Beach seem to last very well. I guess they are different models / compounds.
As you've found, crossclimate + seem to wear very well.

I guess you get what you pay for, but they are expensive when compared to the Bridgestones. I will keep the lookout for them at a lower price
They are probably worth the difference in price if they last a lot longer, and they are so well reviewed.

We have had Goodyear Vector 4 seasons on since new, 22k at present and been very impressed with them. I think you struggle with choice and price when looking at 18" tyres for the Cali.

We have had Goodyear Vector 4 seasons on since new, 22k at present and been very impressed with them. I think you struggle with choice and price when looking at 18" tyres for the Cali.
Yes, struggling to find these in 255/45 R18 103 as well, but will keep looking, thank you

Yes, struggling to find these in 255/45 R18 103 as well, but will keep looking, thank you
I have been after some 18" rims for a while. I think the best solution is to use your sportlines with normal tyres and have a set of 17" steels or alloys with winters on.

I have been after some 18" rims for a while. I think the best solution is to use your sportlines with normal tyres and have a set of 17" steels or alloys with winters on.
A good idea, but that would mean buying 2 sets as my 17” have got summer tyres which are only 14k miles in, so still have good tread. Beginning to think that I might have to keep the 17” rims until I have warn out the summer tyres - assuming we will be able to drive the van again at some point in time. As you suggest I could then put summers on the 18” rims and have more choice for winter/all weather tyres on the 17” alloys. Unless of course the CrossClimates for the 18” rims comes down in price in the interim.

I have just got hold of 18” Sportline wheels and looking to furnish them with all weather tyres. Having read various threads, Mitchelin CrossClimate + and Bridgestone Weather control A005 seem to get mentioned a lot, but which is the best? Having looked online the cheapest price I can find for 255/45 18R 103Y for each type brings the Bridgestone tyres in at about £50 cheaper per tyre (£200 per set), which naturally is leaning me towards the Bridgestones. But is this a false economy? Are the CrossClimate tyres that much better and/or will they last longer? Are there other All weather tyres that I should be looking at? Has anyone managed to find the Bridgestone A005 tyres for less than £127 recently? As ever any help and advice would be really appreciated.

Try Bush Tyres , I recently got a good deal on Michelin crossclimate for my Honda CRV

Try Bush Tyres , I recently got a good deal on Michelin crossclimate for my Honda CRV
Thanks Rob, just had a quick look, but couldn’t find the size I need. Will keep trying though

Had Cross Climates for a few months now, revelation I'd say in every respect. And there hasn't even really been any snow or ice in the Southern UK this year. It's a comfort knowing the capability is there when needed though.

Had Cross Climates for a few months now, revelation I'd say in every respect. And there hasn't even really been any snow or ice in the Southern UK this year. It's a comfort knowing the capability is there when needed though.
Thank you, this is good to know and really helpful