Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best campsites and reasons why you love it.

larrylamb

larrylamb

Cali owner.
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
What are your favourite campsites and why? Let's see pics and reviews of the best places your Cali has visited. Could be the quiet secluded type, great views, fab for kids or dogs, handy for culture, the beach or simply pubs and restaurants.

Share your favourites here and give inspiration to others to try something different perhaps.
:cheers

Last edited:
If you want a complete chill out on a very quiet site try Beryls farm in Devon, a very nice walk to Beesands beach with a great seafood restaurant.

Give it a Google

Great idea @larrylamb!

We love:

Slovenia
- Kamp Danica&Kamp Soča = we love the surroundings and nature.
0774221e1dc430672e34ca28aa60f222.jpg
9e0d18b659762c80ee9b3c8b31f9d373.jpg

- Saksida = Vineyard with lovely hosts and a small pool

Austria
- Achenkirch Alpen Caravan = nice Lake BUT can be super crowded in summer
faaedd389de1faa699a33e2e371f7733.jpg

Thomas the host is great!
- Graz „Reisemobilstellplatz“ next to the swimming pool = Great start to visit the city, place itself is situated next to the pool.

Germany
- Camping Seeshaupt = next to the Starnberger See, clean and some nice pitches
9570b77f176d73b2b1208b5ebc4b5b4e.jpg

- Garmisch/Grainau Perfect Camping = privat bathroom, great point to visit Zugspitze
73018018f17e7b9a4db15ed7f7a6dbd5.jpg

- Camping Freiburg = nice City camping
- Camping Wirtshof = Wellnesscamping
- Camping Hopfensee = Best next to Füssen and with kids

The Netherlands
- Katwijk and Harlingen (forgot the name)

Croatia (try to go off season)
- Senj: Kamp Bunica = small next to the sea
- Camping Strasko = huge, crowded in summer
- Autokamp Selce = next to the sea, nothing special but good point to rest on your way south/north
- Cres Kovacine = huge, next to the sea

Italy
- Elba Camping Da Mario (close to Porto Azzuro) = small, nice!
c5206dd22856c874bf99d57ce60b7bf4.jpg

- Elba Camping Scaglieri
2a304c1de1f56ba86591c999ee1fe147.jpg

Switzerland
- Camping Erlach = next to the lake Biel/Bienne
- Camping Manser = Nice farmer with a great camping
966b62bfcb0122632a734b99d3094e89.jpg

Every each of this countries have some wonderful places to stay for diff reasons.

Last edited:
Great idea @larrylamb!

We love
- Slovenia
Kamp Danica&Kamp Soča = we love the surroundings and nature.
Saksida = Vineyard with lovely hosts and a small pool

- Austria
Achenkirch Alpen Caravan = nice Lake BUT can be super crowded in summer
Graz „Reisemobilstellplatz“ next to the swimming pool = Great start to visit the city, place itself is situated next to the pool.

- Germany
Camping Seeshaupt = next to the Starnberger See, clean and some nice pitches
Garmisch/Grainau Perfect Camping = privat bathroom, great point to visit Zugspitze
Camping Freiburg = nice City camping
Camping Wirtshof = Wellnesscamping

- The Netherlands
Katwijk and Harlingen (forgot the name)

- Croatia (try to go off season)
Senje: Kamp Bunica = small next to the sea
Camping Strasko = huge, crowded in summer
Autokamp Selce = next to the sea, nothing special but good point to rest on your way south/north
Cres Kovacine = huge, next to the sea

- Italy
Elba Camping Da Mario (close to Porto Azzuro) = small, nice!

- Switzerland
Camping Erlach = next to the lake Biel/Bienne
Camping Manser = Nice farmer with a great camping

Every each of this countries have some wonderful places to stay for diff reasons.
Great list @sapto, I will have to check out some of those.
Achenkirch Alpen was on my list and Zugspitze, we have stayed and enjoyed Camping Freiburg.

Fantastic location for us on Lake Constance/ Bodensee is camping-eschbach.de at Wasserburg am Bodensee. Small, quiet site next to the lake and a lido. Great for exploring on bikes, train or Cali. Lovely little place with a village feel, restaurants, watersports etc. Love it.
77392385.jpg

Home (i.e. UK) and terribly boring, but a CMC site near Peterborough.

Ferry Meadows, such a peaceful place despite the hordes that can descend on it every weekend. Lots of paths, around lakes, through trees, short or long, up to the river Nene and the delightful walk into the centre of Peterborough.

Peterborough itself new town built around an historic old town, a fabulous Norman Cathedral, nice shopping centre, nice modern retail parks out of town and close to the campsite.

The Nene valley Railway, a heritage railway, station 100 yards from the campsite for a trip into town or the other way through delightful countryside.

Lots of interesting places within a 20 mile radius.

So peaceful. It's where we are taking Bella tomorrow for possibly her last holiday:(

Ferry Meadows, such a peaceful place despite the hordes that can descend on it every weekend. Lots of paths, around lakes, through trees, short or long, up to the river Nene and the delightful walk into the centre of Peterborough.

Peterborough itself new town built around an historic old town, a fabulous Norman Cathedral, nice shopping centre, nice modern retail parks out of town and close to the campsite.

The Nene valley Railway, a heritage railway, station 100 yards from the campsite for a trip into town or the other way through delightful countryside.

So peaceful. It's where we are taking Bella tomorrow for possibly her last holiday:(
Somewhere I've yet to visit but sounds lovely Jen. Cherish your time there with Bella.

I'm sick of Brexit, let's talk Cali holidays.

What are your favourite campsites and why? Let's see pics and reviews of the best places your Cali has visited. Could be the quiet secluded type, great views, fab for kids or dogs, handy for culture, the beach or simply pubs and restaurants.

Share your favourites here and give inspiration to others to try something different perhaps.
:cheers

Trewethett Farm Caravan Club Site, between Boscastle and Tintagel, great cliff top walks to both places.

Your wish is Westminster's command - no Brexit here.

IMG_20180905_195430.jpg

IMG_20180905_195441.jpg

My vote goes to Three Cliffs in Wales.

Great sea views and the best toilets / showers I have see in a campsite ( and may hotels)

My vote goes to Three Cliffs in Wales.

Great sea views and the best toilets / showers I have see in a campsite ( and may hotels)

I do like Three Cliffs.
Such a beautiful bay.

Municipal campsite in Beaune. Great restaurant on site, spoilt for choice with places to eat in the town and fab Burgundy wine.
20200803_182221.jpeg

A must visit in the area is https://www.chateau-savigny.com/
Great collection of planes, bikes, Abarths, tractors and more. Slightly eccentric but fabulous.

20200804_113043.jpeg20200804_114527.jpeg20200804_123007.jpeg20200804_132458.jpeg

Cearfai farm, Pembrokeshire. Because after a hurricane you get a camping field all to yourself.

E4F220FD-DE77-4C7B-A348-8E06DA3F5920.jpeg

Reactions: AJQ
Cearfai farm, Pembrokeshire. Because after a hurricane you get a camping field all to yourself.

View attachment 96880
Seriously, a brilliant campsite at Cearfai bay and on the Pembrokeshire coastal path. About a 20 min walk in to St David’s Centre. Loos, showers and some EHU (if that’s your thing). No caravans allowed so it’s a mix of tents and vans (always a nicer ambience, I think). Small shop selling milk and cheese from the dairy farm + other stuff. Very nice owners.

Springwater Lakes Nr Lampeter, mid Wales; everything you could want from a campsite. Great family run site, beautiful views, easy access, small shop, spotlessly clean facilities and £26 per night (with EHU and Eriba).

8D6DB369-D158-46BB-9045-A22E91979BED.jpeg

Municipal campsite in Beaune. Great restaurant on site, spoilt for choice with places to eat in the town and fab Burgundy wine.
View attachment 96873

A must visit in the area is https://www.chateau-savigny.com/
Great collection of planes, bikes, Abarths, tractors and more. Slightly eccentric but fabulous.

View attachment 96874View attachment 96875View attachment 96876View attachment 96877

Larry, this looks great. Might try and pop in on the way home:thumb

Larry, this looks great. Might try and pop in on the way home:thumb
Pitches and facilities are pretty standard but we had a great meal and wine in the onsite restaurant. From memory 15 min walk into town centre, lots of places to eat and drink but you must visit the Chateau nearby i linked above, incredible family collection.

For location, probably Waterside House (next to Ullswater) and the NT site in Eskdale. We joined CAMC and tried a few Club Sites but they're not for us. I think we've liked every CAMC Certified Site we've been to.

Agree. The first time we went there we had pitch 13 (I think) and wondered why it was free till the steam train came past and deposited soot in our tea. Easy cycling into Peterborough.