Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best day/worst day

ChrisB

ChrisB

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
So check this one out.

I attend my VW dealers at 1645hrs to collect my brand spanking new Ocean. The checks are completed and the hand over papers are duly signed. The salesman even says "I'll put 30 litres of fuel in for you."

5 minutes later, the salesman guides me backwards as I gingerly reverse the vehicle adjacent to the diesel pump which is located at the front of the carwash. He OK's the stop and I switch off and get out to open the fuel door. He starts to fuel the vehicle with me stood outside the car wash minding my own business when the car wash man comes running in shouting in Spanish to the salesman, who immediately hits the emergency stop on the car wash.

Too late, the moving gantry has struck the back of the cali' the salesman is mortified, takes out the fuel hose and tells me to pull the vehicle forwards.

The damage is slight but very obvious. (scratches and paint chips off the rear right bumper corner).

Gutted you bet I was gutted! I hadn't even got off the F*****g premises and I wasn't even in the vehicle when it happened.

It goes back in to be repaired on the 18th.

Took it home and went for a trundle, but the wife says there is an annoying rattle on the right side of the vehicle. Cursory checks reveal it is the awning rattling in it's housing I shall try to fix it in the morning.

Anyone think it's worth a few freebies when I return?

AAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Not really, it could have happened to anyone ?

I assume they are going to attend to the damage and you will have it back pristine.

Get the dealer to fix it! It should be perfect and it is only fair. Good luck in your new adventures.

Freebies -- Yes, play the upset as sooo looking forward to a pristine new Cali but now all you can think of is the damage.
At least get the tank filled to brim without a rear 'wash'.

Look on the bright side.
You could have been pulling away in a Marco Polo :Grin

Bad luck Chris. Soon be done and forgotten.

Mike

Ask them for a free full car wash

I just don't know what to say.
Yes I think it's worth a few freebies...

Mind you,
I did get the small narrow drawer under the rear seat as a standard fitment. There is also a host of other bits and bobs as well. Posh mozzie nets for the sliding windows look quality items.

Mind you,
I did get the small narrow drawer under the rear seat as a standard fitment. There is also a host of other bits and bobs as well. Posh mozzie nets for the sliding windows look quality items.
I'd be telling them it's really took the shine of your new van,literally!!
Now you have to have it re painted that in itself it a bitter pill to swallow on a new van.
and all the inconvenience .its worth a set of genuine cali seat covers at least.
I would be mortified accidental or not!
Poor sales man yes,but they are not the ones who just payed out 50 odd grand you are!!!

Now you have to have it re painted that in itself it a bitter pill to swallow on a new van.
and all the inconvenience .its worth a set of genuine cali seat covers at least.
Poor sales man yes,but they are not the ones who just payed out 50 odd grand you are!!!
I just couldn't speak at the time I was distraught and the salesman knew it. I'm sure they will fix it. I will be taking it back on the 18th and leaving it with them for a few days whilst we visit the UK.

I think I would be the same.
It has to be the worst experience when picking up a new van!!!!
Hope it's an easy colour to put right .
And Good look buddy... things can only get better

Hi Chris,
Congrats on your new Calli and sorry to hear about the mishap. Have it fixed and enjoy your new van.
Regards
Chris
Cape Town

Wangle a set of seat covers - that should do it

I agree, a set of seat covers sounds like a fair compromise!

I brought a new Audi once that the salesman forgot to fill with fuel. He dashed up the station to fill it and on return collected a huge stone chip. They were really apologetic. Whilst in repair for a week they leant us a S4 cabrio (much better than the car we brought!) filled it up for free and said if we need more to come by and they would fill again. Gave the kids model cars, put a free luggage mat in the boot and said they would do the first service free, which they honoured 2 years later.

If I got that from a stone chip, I think you deserve more recompense!

I agree, a set of seat covers sounds like a fair compromise!

I brought a new Audi once that the salesman forgot to fill with fuel. He dashed up the station to fill it and on return collected a huge stone chip. They were really apologetic. Whilst in repair for a week they leant us a S4 cabrio (much better than the car we brought!) filled it up for free and said if we need more to come by and they would fill again. Gave the kids model cars, put a free luggage mat in the boot and said they would do the first service free, which they honoured 2 years later.

If I got that from a stone chip, I think you deserve more recompense!
Now that's how to generate Goodwill and Customer loyalty, from a VW Group dealer. Impressive.

Unfortunately, this is Spain. The concept of customer service here is somewhat alien to them. They have agreed to fix the damage whilst I am away on holiday in the UK. I shall discuss matters with them when I take it in on the 18th.

I'd want to discuss it before the day I was leaving it with them and going away!

I take it you had not intended to go to UK in the van?

Chris,

Great that you have got her and some nice freebies... I will be back in the summer in mine, we will have to hook up... Yep, I would be telling them I was planning on driving her to the UK..

Photograph of her?

I'd want to discuss it before the day I was leaving it with them and going away!

I take it you had not intended to go to UK in the van?
No, we had the UK trip all booked for flights etc. The Cali' was delivered 7 weeks earlier than expected. The dealer knows we are in the UK, that's why he's arranged to take the vehicle whilst we are away.

So check this one out.

I attend my VW dealers at 1645hrs to collect my brand spanking new Ocean. The checks are completed and the hand over papers are duly signed. The salesman even says "I'll put 30 litres of fuel in for you."

5 minutes later, the salesman guides me backwards as I gingerly reverse the vehicle adjacent to the diesel pump which is located at the front of the carwash. He OK's the stop and I switch off and get out to open the fuel door. He starts to fuel the vehicle with me stood outside the car wash minding my own business when the car wash man comes running in shouting in Spanish to the salesman, who immediately hits the emergency stop on the car wash.

Too late, the moving gantry has struck the back of the cali' the salesman is mortified, takes out the fuel hose and tells me to pull the vehicle forwards.

The damage is slight but very obvious. (scratches and paint chips off the rear right bumper corner).

Gutted you bet I was gutted! I hadn't even got off the F*****g premises and I wasn't even in the vehicle when it happened.

It goes back in to be repaired on the 18th.

Took it home and went for a trundle, but the wife says there is an annoying rattle on the right side of the vehicle. Cursory checks reveal it is the awning rattling in it's housing I shall try to fix it in the morning.

Anyone think it's worth a few freebies when I return?

AAARRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
I suffered the rattle from the awning stowage whilst in France recently. First thought it was the table but turned out to be the awning feet not located properly in the awning housing. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info' on the awning. I wound it out & back and checked the legs. All OK now. Annoying rattle on table now fixed with a piece of sponge jsmmed between the seat & table. The thought of another £100 on a cover for the comfort matress didn't appeal so we got a couple of Ikea GOKART matress covers 200 x 140 which work fine. My better half will tailor them up to fit perfectly so at 10 euros apiece they were a bargain.

Back