Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best Discounts off New T6?

Biddy550

Biddy550

Vehicle
N/A
Hi again guys

Ive just paid via Paypal to become a VIP.
What dealer provides the best discounts for a new CALI? Im ready to order now thanks to your guidance.
What companies can fit a big LCD TV and DVD to the CALI (best models? Im guessing one with a DVD built in?). Is the reception any good? and where is the best place to fit?
Many Thanks
Paul

Hi Paul :welcome

Couple of years since we bought ours so not up to speed with the cheapest dealers, but possibly better to find the dealers who are best rated since there won't be really much between them as regards price, unless you go for an ex demo. There are some dire dealers out there ...

There's not a lot of room for a TV in a Cali, if we need TV we use an iPad with a Tivizen wifi DVB-T receiver. (Search Amazon for "Tivizen"). But mostly we go for a walk or a pint!

Good luck in your search :thumb

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
You can hunt the best discount down but.........you may not get the shortest delivery times.

When you ask the dealer and negotiate discounts be sure they still have current vehicle allocation or you may end up with a good price but a lengthy wait.

It's a balance.

Good Luck.:thumb:thumb

• Agree
Reactions: Loz
Use a free app - tvcatchup on my iPad to watch live TV, but as motacyclist hints, one of the reasons I bought a Cali was to get away from the TV!

That app is OK if you have Internet, but the Tivizen works without, it just converts the TV signal to wifi. Although that is if you have a TV signal!

What dealer provides the best discounts for a new CALI? Im ready to order now thanks to your guidance.
My dealer let me order a demonstrator to my exact specification with a 14% discount on vehicle and options.

The downside is that I have had a helluva long wait for the van, spanning part or all of every one of the twelve months of the year: ordered 29 April 2016, delivery expected 1 March 2017.

Last edited:
I can't help with the your discount question as both of ours were also demos. It's a great way of buying a Cali if you can find one with the right spec. It's possible to get a much larger discount and there aren't really any dis-advantages of buying this way either.

Regarding your TV/DVD enquiry, I recently volunteered to test a new TV bracket that Comfortz Leisure were adverting. I believe you can now get these from Comfortz via the club shop. This was my review:

We have a small Avtex 18" TV/DVD with an Avtex STH 3000 digital aerial, that gets occasional use on long dark evenings in the Cali. The trouble is that we usually stand it on the cooker/sink worktop and this makes it awkward if you want to use the facilities beneath at the same time. Could this new TV bracket be the answer?

Well we have just tested it and can report that it does exactly what it says on the tin. This multi component black metal bracket is comprised of two main sub assemblies, the first being the section that fits onto the seat headrest and the second is the bracket that is secured to the rear of the TV. It is compact, well made and fits securely, facing rearwards, onto the chrome headrest supports on the passenger seat. Here it is fitted and with the section that joins to the other half of the bracket (screwed to the rear of the TV) folded away for safety. The bracket is a little fiddly to fit but once fitted can remain in situ permanently.
image-jpeg.16226

It is possible to view the TV/DVD with the seat facing forward........
image-jpeg.16227

or by removing the headrest and reversing it you can view with the seat facing rearwards.
image-jpeg.16230

Once the bracket (shown above) is fitted to the headrest, all you have to do is permenantly screw the other half of the bracket to the standard fixing holes on the rear of your TV with the screws provided and its ready to be attached. This is a simple matter of joining the TV with bracket attached to the other half on the headrest with the bolt and wingnut provided. Then adjust the angle to suit and tighten. Simples!

So far we have only used the TV two or three times but on each occasion we have found the reception to be excellent just by hanging our aerial internally inside the pop top roof.

When not in use, our TV/DVD sits safely inside it's Avtex case behind the passenger seat.
image-jpeg.16231

So to conclude, this is a very neat and well made bracket that holds the TV firmly in place. It enables you to free up the worktop space and places your TV/DVD in a good viewing location. It's brilliant! What more is there to say?

We have had this Cali for sixteen months and used the TV only about four times!

I can't help with the your discount question as both of ours were also demos. It's a great way of buying a Cali if you can find one with the right spec. It's possible to get a much larger discount and there aren't really any dis-advantages of buying this way either.

Regarding your TV/DVD enquiry, I recently volunteered to test a new TV bracket that Comfortz Leisure were adverting. I believe you can now get these from Comfortz via the club shop. This was my review:

We have a small Avtex 18" TV/DVD with an Avtex STH 3000 digital aerial, that gets occasional use on long dark evenings in the Cali. The trouble is that we usually stand it on the cooker/sink worktop and this makes it awkward if you want to use the facilities beneath at the same time. Could this new TV bracket be the answer?

Well we have just tested it and can report that it does exactly what it says on the tin. This multi component black metal bracket is comprised of two main sub assemblies, the first being the section that fits onto the seat headrest and the second is the bracket that is secured to the rear of the TV. It is compact, well made and fits securely, facing rearwards, onto the chrome headrest supports on the passenger seat. Here it is fitted and with the section that joins to the other half of the bracket (screwed to the rear of the TV) folded away for safety. The bracket is a little fiddly to fit but once fitted can remain in situ permanently.
image-jpeg.16226

image-jpeg.16227

or by removing the headrest and reversing it you can view with the seat facing rearwards.
image-jpeg.16230

Once the bracket (shown above) is fitted to the headrest, all you have to do is permenantly screw the other half of the bracket to the standard fixing holes on the rear of your TV with the screws provided and its ready to be attached. This is a simple matter of joining the TV with bracket attached to the other half on the headrest with the bolt and wingnut provided. Then adjust the angle to suit and tighten. Simples!

So far we have only used the TV two or three times but on each occasion we have found the reception to be excellent just by hanging our aerial internally inside the pop top roof.

When not in use, our TV/DVD sits safely inside it's Avtex case behind the passenger seat.
image-jpeg.16231

So to conclude, this is a very neat and well made bracket that holds the TV firmly in place. It enables you to free up the worktop space and places your TV/DVD in a good viewing location. It's brilliant! What more is there to say?

Woops - you've reminded me that I also owe Nick a review on the TV bracket and his 12" tv/DVD. A job for this weekend.

My dealer let me order a demonstrator to my exact specification with a 14% discount on vehicle and options.

The downside is that I have had a helluva long wait for the van, spanning part or all of every one of the twelve months of the year: ordered 29 April 2016, delivery expected 1 March 2017.
Thanks Tom, who was your dealer? I've been quoted Nov!!!!

image-jpeg.16226

image-jpeg.16227

image-jpeg.16230

image-jpeg.16231

Thanks Borris. Great review.
Will the bracket hold larger TVs? Are there larger TVs in the range?

Thanks Borris. Great review.
Will the bracket hold larger TVs? Are there larger TVs in the range?
I'm sure they would but I don't see the point as an 18" tv is more than big enough for the small space inside a Cali. Also if the unit gets any heavier then the bracket might not be as effective because the extra weight would put a lot of additional strain on the joint that connects the tv to the seat. I suspect it would fail to hold the tv in the right position and would start to droop.
I don't know for sure if Avtex do larger units. The tv/dvds that they do make are designed for use in vehicles such as lorries and motor homes so they are robust. The signal reception is usually great unless you are somewhere very remote like the wilds of Scotland etc.

Mine came as a demo from North Wales Van Centre with 16m on the clock ... after sales is very good.

Mine came as a demo from North Wales Van Centre with 16m on the clock ... after sales is very good.

This is good to know, as we are also just looking to buy from that dealership - is it the one in Llandudno? There may well only be one... we are not local We've just encountered a few problems with the salesman we are dealing as he is ignoring calls; quite possibly due to the fact he had told us we could fit 2 x extra seats in the beach, but his boss is saying it's not quite that easy! We're in panic mode as we sold our car yesterday

The guy who dealt with us was Ben John, very enthusiastic, but he is not there any more. TBH the buying experience was soured by his boss (Jonathan?) who put the price of our van up (said he'd made a pricing mistake) when he found he wasn't getting our old Cali in p/x. You will find more details on my post in the dealer reviews. We still got a reasonable discount.

After sales is dealt with by a young lady called Anthea, and she is very helpful.

Hi @motacyclist, we have been dealing with a Craig up until now but he become rather illusive so we have taken it to his boss Jonathan - probably the same one by the sounds of it. It's safe to say he is doing very little to smooth it over, and what he is doing is not being done in a very polite way... even though the reason we are so stressed by this situation is due to his salesman not giving us the correct information 6 weeks ago! I'd love to read your review but I can't see it - if you get chance please could you add a link.

Many thanks

Hi @motacyclist, we have been dealing with a Craig up until now but he become rather illusive so we have taken it to his boss Jonathan - probably the same one by the sounds of it. It's safe to say he is doing very little to smooth it over, and what he is doing is not being done in a very polite way... even though the reason we are so stressed by this situation is due to his salesman not giving us the correct information 6 weeks ago! I'd love to read your review but I can't see it - if you get chance please could you add a link.

Many thanks
Here it is.

This is good to know, as we are also just looking to buy from that dealership - is it the one in Llandudno? There may well only be one... we are not local We've just encountered a few problems with the salesman we are dealing as he is ignoring calls; quite possibly due to the fact he had told us we could fit 2 x extra seats in the beach, but his boss is saying it's not quite that easy! We're in panic mode as we sold our car yesterday
One thing I have noticed is that not every commercial dealership dealer knows much about the California, some seem downright ignorant. The exceptional dealerships appear to be the ones where the boss is enthusiastic about Californias. Two extra seats in the Beach with a 3-seat bench is not only simple, it is trivial - you can even have one or both with integrated child seats.

The only slight difficulty comes when trying to make the downstairs bed with the two additional seats in situ - it needs a bit of a wiggle and a jiggle to get it all working.