Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best external thermal windscreen blind

Janno

Janno

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi Guys, I’m after some advice, what are the best exterior T5 fitted thermal windscreen + side window blind to buy, I purchased one from flea bay last year (£60) and it lasted approx six outings before splitting ( it never fitted properly from day one)....I’ve often seen real nice heavy duty ones on camp sites that fit real well but unsure what make to go for, any advice or anyone selling a used one would be much appreciated, thanks Janno

I have just bought this from comfortz it stopped all condensation last weekend brilliant bit of kit

B81BF5AA-B8DD-4312-A0DC-08A706D60EE9.jpeg

I have had the Comfortz windscreen cover for a couple of years. used it in sub zero temperatures. well made and robust. front can be partly lowered down to let light in in the morning using the velcro strips each side .

I’ve also had the Comfortz windscreen cover approaching a year and think it’s brilliant. I’ve used it in heavy rain and even snow. Most rain or snow just shakes off. Stops condensation. It’s very robust and I’m sure will last for many years.

We have had a Comfortz one for over 4 years now and is excellent.

Our only issue is that some of the loop Velcro is now deteriorating and needs to be replaced.

Alan

I have one from Rainbow screens, which I am very impressed with. I previously had a Comfortz one (Silver) which was OK but the Rainbow Screens one fits much better to the vehicle IMO and is much thicker.
The biggest advantage of the Comfortz one is it folds up much smaller and can be stored within the chairs in the tailgate.

The new Comfortz one has been improved with a much better fit

We have had a Comfortz one for over 4 years now and is excellent.

Our only issue is that some of the loop Velcro is now deteriorating and needs to be replaced.

Alan
Same Velcro issue after one season. The Club Shop repaired for free. Suggest you get in touch.

The new Comfortz one has been improved with a much better fit

Kev,

Is the velcro attachments improved?

Mine is now in it's 6th great year and given outstanding service. However it needs replacement but if there is one thing with it that has been a constant niggle it is the velcro attachments.

The design around the wing mirrors has been changed entirely Kev for 2019- same design around the door handles (which other manufactures don't supply) unfortunately the nature of Velcro is it will have a time span and does wear out- but always happy to replace either under warranty or for postage costs only outside of warranty - ie fixed for free (benefit of having a club partner!)

The design around the wing mirrors has been changed entirely Kev for 2019- same design around the door handles (which other manufactures don't supply) unfortunately the nature of Velcro is it will have a time span and does wear out- but always happy to replace either under warranty or for postage costs only outside of warranty - ie fixed for free (benefit of having a club partner!)
The Velcro round the handles is a good idea, unfortunately these are now shredding. The Velcro under the door mirrors is very worn and not gripping at all now, but the windscreen strips are OK.

Given the screens have had a lot of use over the last 4 years I can't complain. These issues are a weakness of Velcro rather than Comfortz manufacture.

As I bought direct way before there was a club/Comfortz link-up, I don't think I can proceed via the club.

Alan

Last edited:
Well, mine have survived storm and tempest, 90 plus MPH winds, and being driven over once or twice :oops:

I really can't complain about the 6 years of wear and tear and as @AlanC states, Velcro does degrade with time.

Agree with comments above about Velcro weakness rather than design. Our Comfortz one is six years old and we have already replaced the mirror Velcros and last year we finally gave up on the windscreen strips and sewed the side panels onto the front. We've lost the ability to partially lower the front section to let light in but found it is no hassle to release a side panel and roll it two thirds sideways across the windscreen which gives us more light. It's a good piece of kit, still works well and can't really complain considering it's been used continuously for five months every year.

We are more than happy with our Comfortz Leisure screen, it has served us well for the last three years without any signs of wear and tear and has coped in all sorts of extreme weather. Would definitely recommend it.

What about other brands? Would be interesting to know people's views

e.g. Rainbow

What about other brands? Would be interesting to know people's views

e.g. Rainbow
Brandrup Isolite Outside. Great idea, just covers the screen, compact and works BUT the material a foil/bubble is not very practical as it delaminates where its folded.

A word of warning.

People sleeping in a confined space exhale water vapour. FACT
If the ambient temperature is low then the coldest areas within a California are the Cabin windows ( normally single glazed ) and exposed body panels in the wardrobes and kitchen cupboards which are not insulated. FACT
If you get condensation on the Windscreen overnight then you have inadequate ventilation. FACT

If you have condensation and then use an insulated Windscreen cover and you get NO condensation without any increase in ventilation then all you are doing is shifting the condensation to the next coldest areas - the exposed body panels within the wardrobe/kitchen units and behind any body trim.

Get the ventilation requirements correct first and then use the windscreen cover.

Use Disposable Humidifiers, at least 2 or 3 within the vehicle and you will collect a surprising amount of water if the ventilation is not correct when sleeping.

I have a Silverscreens cover.Glad i bought it and it does a good job. Never had condensation on the cab windows. Would highly recommend.

I have a taylormade made screen cover still going strong 10 years old and all the Velcro still ok.

A word of warning.

People sleeping in a confined space exhale water vapour. FACT
If the ambient temperature is low then the coldest areas within a California are the Cabin windows ( normally single glazed ) and exposed body panels in the wardrobes and kitchen cupboards which are not insulated. FACT
If you get condensation on the Windscreen overnight then you have inadequate ventilation. FACT

If you have condensation and then use an insulated Windscreen cover and you get NO condensation without any increase in ventilation then all you are doing is shifting the condensation to the next coldest areas - the exposed body panels within the wardrobe/kitchen units and behind any body trim.

Get the ventilation requirements correct first and then use the windscreen cover.

Use Disposable Humidifiers, at least 2 or 3 within the vehicle and you will collect a surprising amount of water if the ventilation is not correct when sleeping.

That‘s why we only use a front cover and put at least some reimo vents in the drivers-&passengerswindow to keep the ventilation as good as poss or pop up the roof even in winter.

Taylormade for me every time. I've had two sets on five different campers/motorhomes. Brilliant kit.

Silver screens, excellent quality and it does what it says on the tin!

Back