Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best ferry route

D

David G

hi I live up in north east of Scotland and am planning on taking Cali to Spain end of summer season. Any suggestions what wd be the best route to take? I wondered if anyone has crossed with DFDS?

Portsmouth - Bilbao, slow route. More like a mini cruise. Good start to a holiday

Portsmouth - Santandar, quick route.

They might seem expensive but factor in travel costs if you use the Channel ferries, and the time and they compare very well.

Portsmouth - Bilbao, slow route. More like a mini cruise. Good start to a holiday

Portsmouth - Santandar, quick route.

They might seem expensive but factor in travel costs if you use the Channel ferries, and the time and they compare very well.
Santander and Bilbao are only about 60 miles apart, why is one route slower than the other?

The outward route to Bilbao changes crew and picks up provisions on the west coast of France and adds an extra overnight. We rather liked the relaxed start to our 4 weeks in Portugal. And the French restaurant on board.
The other attraction was the timing of the ferry port Portsmouth departure. It was a comfortable motorway drive from Glasgow to get the evening departure which after two nights arrives in Bilbao early morning. It was this in fact that made us choose Bilbao not Santander as the Spanish port. The return journey only had one overnight.

Anyone fancying taking advantage of Bilbao's fabulous art museum needs to note it closes on Mondays btw.

The outward route to Bilbao changes crew and picks up provisions on the west coast of France and adds an extra overnight. We rather liked the relaxed start to our 4 weeks in Portugal. And the French restaurant on board.
The other attraction was the timing of the ferry port Portsmouth departure. It was a comfortable motorway drive from Glasgow to get the evening departure which after two nights arrives in Bilbao early morning. It was this in fact that made us choose Bilbao not Santander as the Spanish port. The return journey only had one overnight.

Anyone fancying taking advantage of Bilbao's fabulous art museum needs to note it closes on Mondays btw.
Thanks

We took motorbikes on the Portsmouth/Santander boat for the Barcelona MotoGP & it was perfect - morning departure got us there in time for breakfast before arrival, assuming I've remembered that right!

I'm not crazy about Spain generally, but that greener part along the top is great.

Back