Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best method to cook Toast?

Radio-active

Radio-active

Mike
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Im interested as a new Cali owner what the preferred method is for the start of the day slice of toast is.
Do we buy a low wattage toaster or buy a gas burner 'adapter'?

you buy one of those thingy's, a wire grid, and plonk it on a gas ring.

I will get you a link.

Mine's three years old, cost a fiver, will never wear out and does brilliant toast.

PS: Something like this

and this looks almost like mine

and delicious spread with Waitrose duchy slightly salted butter (the toast that is, not the toaster)

Last edited:
What Jen said, closest you'll get to toast rather than hot bread. Beg to differ on longevity though. Ours was new, used every day and is pretty holy after one month (my son did have a kind of Lucifer attitude to its use though). Returning it for replacement.

What Jen said, closest you'll get to toast rather than hot bread. Beg to differ on longevity though. Ours was new, used every day and is pretty holy after one month. Returning it for replacement.

Good grief!

A holy toaster? Did you nick it from the local convent?

Ours was new, used every day and is pretty holy after one month. Returning it for replacement.
The old ones must be better made had ours for about 10years and still going strong.

looks like the pyramid type can do 4 slices and the flat type one slice at a time?

As posted and others said anything other than the gauze type (which heats up and glows like a toaster element) just give hot bread.

looks like the pyramid type can do 4 slices and the flat type one slice at a time?

If pyramids could make toast then tut would have been renamed tefal and Egyptians would have been called warburtons :shocked

Sadly they can't, hopeless. Gauze, one after delicious one at a time.... just as the frank coopers is being spread on one so another is toasting to perfection. Toast should be treated with reverence, not as a production line object!

The Primus toaster works fine - we find it much better than the pyramid ones. the Primus toaster works best if you don't rush it - think.... an electric toaster takes some time so if you are a bit more patient and want good toast you can have that, or you can have very quick not such perfect toast!
http://www.primus.eu/toaster
(available on Amazon if you can't find it locally)

Heavy bottomed non stick frying pan and a magic cooker lid. Although unfortunately you can't get the magic cooker lids anymore although we've found that a normal lid works fine but it needs some ventilation so not on completely.

You need to let the pan get good and hot first.

One less thing to cart about as we've always got the pan and lid with us anyway.

PS the pan and magic cooker lid also does great toasties which might get a bit messy on the contraptions some of you are using.

I also have some of those toaster pocket things which means you can do a toasted sandwich, fish fingers etc. I would say that you do get quite a lot of crumbs from the gauze toaster thing. You could always do French toast or the Zebedee households favourite pancakes. We bought a gadget in a French supermarket which distributes the heat evenly from the burner and that helps too. I do like my gadgets! You can't rush in the Cali and that is one of the joys.

If pyramids could make toast then tut would have been renamed tefal and Egyptians would have been called warburtons :shocked

Sadly they can't, hopeless. Gauze, one after delicious one at a time.... just as the frank coopers is being spread on one so another is toasting to perfection. Toast should be treated with reverence, not as a production line object!
Agreed, the gauze toaster is the best but you do need to turn the slice to stop it burning. My pyramid has been thrown out !

Wow...thank you for all your inputs, looks like a gauze toaster it is, one slice at a time, taking my time...:thumb

We make toast just using a dry non stick frying pan, work well, cheap & easy. Try this before you invest in any fancier stuff.

I'm having a free breakfast tomorrow....

As well as a free stay on the 5* holiday park that I'm parked up on tonight .....

Almost takes away the Cali camping feel, but I'm not going to say no.

I must ask for toast.

I'm having a free breakfast tomorrow....

As well as a free stay on the 5* holiday park that I'm parked up on tonight .....

Almost takes away the Cali camping feel, but I'm not going to say no.

I must ask for toast.

My dad always said their was no such thing as a free lunch, he never mentioned breakfast tho

"thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's Cali"

My dad always said their was no such thing as a free lunch, he never mentioned breakfast tho

"thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's Cali"

and a very nice free breakfast it was to!

I am looking to buy a mobile home on a holiday park. This company offered me a free overnight stay in one of their units but I just had to say "sorry, I will rather sleep in my own bed than someone elses. I will bring my own, just give me a space to park up and breakfast in the morning: .....:D

This looks really good...thank you for the tip, I love panini's and this looks like it would do the business....

Mike.
You wont regret ive been using them year round cannt beat a toasted sandwich in December freezing have a look on their facbook page that should give you plenty of ideas nearly forget steak slices are fantastic

Back