Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Best modular windblocker and privacy room for F45s 260 ?

sspicer

sspicer

Vehicle
N/A
I am looking for a modular wind-break and privacy-room solution to complement my Fiamma F45s 260 awning. Use cases are as a temporary windbreak for picnics and days-out, as well as a full privacy room to store chairs and allow private use of the porta-loo overnight. Must be quick & easy to erect and dismantle single-handed, not taking up too much room stored in the van. After weeks (erm - maybe months !!) of research I think my options are :
  1. Lillypad Leisure Windblockers
    • Advantages = small packed size
    • Disadvantages = look flimsy, seem expensive (with membranes), requires separate pole
  2. Parrotsol Windblockers
    • Advantages = small packed size
    • Disadvantages = i dont like the look of them - plastic !!, requires separate pole
  3. Comfortz Leisure camping room
    • Advantages = acceptable packed size, material feels like a proper tent, no pole required
    • Disadvantages = slightly reduced space inside as hangs off canopy arm-struts, not completely air-tight
  4. Fiamma Privacy Room Light
    • Advantages = Clip System creates very stable rigid construction for windy usage, proper tent room, possibly quick to erect ?, manageable packed size
    • Disadvantage = expensive, lots of pegs
  5. Fiamma Privacy Room (standard)
    • Advantages = very solid, very weatherproof
    • Disadvantages = very expensive, very heavy, very bulky
I know that the Comfortz Leisure camping room will be the firm favourite here and indeed it is competing for top choice with me. There are pro's and con's to each of these and loads of great advice on these forums. Just about all of the advice regarding the standard Fiamma Privacy Room are that it is bulky and heavy and people typically sell it soon after they buy it. However, I havent seen anyone comment on the 'light' version. Its about half the weight of the standard, and from the videos looks like it should be fairly quick and easy to erect.

Has anyone owned the Fiamma Privacy Room Light ? Any other thoughts or advice ?

I know this has all been covered before but advice is scattered so hoping that this thread may update the info for 2021 and put it all in one place :)

Thanks

Theres one other that I'm considering FIAMMA Privacy Room F40 Van 270 Enclosure VW/Vito Van 180-210cm 07504-01

I know its supposedly 10cm too wide, but photos seem to show that it should still fit.
Its about £400, & is more like the comfort room but has the advantage that there is a ceiling panel which is permanently fixed to the walls which should make it a lot less draughty.
There are no poles needed it just clips to the roll out awning & folds to a very small package.

Theres one other that I'm considering FIAMMA Privacy Room F40 Van 270 Enclosure VW/Vito Van 180-210cm 07504-01

I know its supposedly 10cm too wide, but photos seem to show that it should still fit.
Its about £400, & is more like the comfort room but has the advantage that there is a ceiling panel which is permanently fixed to the walls which should make it a lot less draughty.
There are no poles needed it just clips to the roll out awning & folds to a very small package.
Thanks for this. I have seen it but ignored as not quite the right size. I will have another look.

so have you experienced ‘draughty’ rooms then ?

I've owned Fiamma privacy room & found it too big, too heavy but ok if vans staying static for a few days.

Also tried the Thule panels with poles etc - too much hassle - might as well just pop up our small driveaway awning.

Currently use a drive away awning, or if travelling light just a couple of the brandrup panels, looking for something a bit more enclosed & still quick to put up & down, but never liked the comfort option, tried one for a bit but it was all a bit flappy & drafty & the small windows made the van really dark.
Newer one may well be better, ours didn't have the extra skirt at the bottom so was draughty at the top, bottom & where it met the van.

The van enclosure looks a lot lighter as in white walls & big window, light weight & just as quick to put up.

I have a brand new Fiamma Privacy Room Light 300 MEDIUM ROOM for sale. Unused and still bagged I got it for our great white but we got written off before we used the awning.

Looking for something a bit more enclosed & still quick to put up & down
I have the Comforts awning room. It is fine but just too thick and heavy. Same for the topper.

Prior to kids we did lots of climbing and sea kayaking. We have proper lightweight mountain tents. Last week I emailed Terra Nova as they say on their website that they will undertake bespoke orders. I am after a super lightweight awning room, and topper, made from modern lightweight materials rather than these unnecessarily thick, and hence bulky, materials. I have even started googling sewing machines :eek:

Back