Best way to get wireless connection in Europe

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I want a simple, reliable, inexpensive way to have a wireless connection (for at least my computer/iPad) in my Cali when overseas (Europe). What is the best way t do this? I have an iPhone 6s with a UK sim only contract with EE that dose not include any data outside the UK.

I am sure this topic has come up before on numerous occasions but technology is always moving, so if my post causes a revisit to the subject that must be a good thing I hope.

I got a Huawei Mobil Router that delivers 3G/4G in all europe on flatrate roaming. I use it as a hot spot WiFi in the car. Its from 3 (phone company). Maybe some phone company have the same offer in UK? Besides both my iPhone and iPad (i use as a navi and on board computer) also has SIM with the same flatrate. I have around 600 GB data pr. month in total - more than enough

When I travel to CapeTown for surfing, I normally bring a router and buy a local sim-card for both iPhone and router. That works well to, but not as hassle free.

I want a simple, reliable, inexpensive way to have a wireless connection (for at least my computer/iPad) in my Cali when overseas (Europe). What is the best way t do this? I have an iPhone 6s with a UK sim only contract with EE that dose not include any data outside the UK.

I am sure this topic has come up before on numerous occasions but technology is always moving, so if my post causes a revisit to the subject that must be a good thing I hope.
1. MiFi from 3. No roaming charges in most of Europe, USA and Australia and other countries. Can buy 12Gb sims that last for 12 months from Amazon and eBay.
2. iBoost from http://www.motorhomewifi.com/. Used to tap into free campsite WiFi and allow multiple devices to connect. Also if you are a BT Broadband customer or a Fon member then you have access to the free Fon system which is very common in France and other EU countries.

If there is poor Mobile signal where you are then you may be dependant on the Fon system or campsite WiFi which use landlines for their broadband connection.

This works for me.

I agree with WelshGas and and get a Mifi from 3 as they are sim free but I would buy this 3 sim which is exclusive to Amazon and lasts for two years and much better value than the 12gb sim.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M3VJ2B2/?tag=eliteelect-21

Remember you may need to change the apps settings for those apps you don't want to use your mifi mobile data, some apps like photos wait for a wifi signal and then start to upload photos for iCloud sync etc but using a MiFi tricks the phone into thinking you are on a more liberal connection.

Last edited:
I got a Huawei Mobil Router that delivers 3G/4G in all europe on flatrate roaming. I use it as a hot spot WiFi in the car. Its from 3 (phone company). Maybe some phone company have the same offer in UK? Besides both my iPhone and iPad (i use as a navi and on board computer) also has SIM with the same flatrate. I have around 600 GB data pr. month in total - more than enough
May I ask what is your monthly fee for the 600GB?

May I ask what is your monthly fee for the 600GB?

We have a family deal, where we share the total data across devices, including "Roam Like Home". So for 3 iPhones (100 GB each), 1 tablet (50 GB), 1 Modem (250 GB). We pay 600 kr. pr. month (80 €).

When I travel to CapeTown for surfing, I normally bring a router and buy a local sim-card for both iPhone and router. That works well to, but not as hassle free.
Kmann, excuse my simplicity! You mean one of these?
Huawei-E53771-288x360.jpg

We have a family deal, where we share the total data across devices, including "Roam Like Home". So for 3 iPhones (100 GB each), 1 tablet (50 GB), 1 Modem (250 GB). We pay 600 kr. pr. month (80 €).
Great! Thanks. Sorry for all my daft questions!

Remember you may need to change the apps settings for those apps you don't want to use your mobile data, some apps like photos wait for a wifi signal and then start to upload photos for iCloud sync etc but using a MiFi tricks the phone into thinking you are on a more liberal connection.
Thanks Loz, good shout. I hate the idea that all the syncing used all the valuable data and then when finished non is left for new stuff. Happened to me in Corsica last year at least twice on a pay as you go!

Mine is a Huawei E5373, the one you send is the Huawei E5577 … not shure if there is any significant difference?

Mine is a Huawei E5373, the one you send is the Huawei E5577 … not shure if there is any significant difference?
Will investigate. Thanks.

Thanks Loz, good shout. I hate the idea that all the syncing used all the valuable data and then when finished non is left for new stuff. Happened to me in Corsica last year at least twice on a pay as you go!

We spend so much on additional data on our summertrip, so when we came home, we changed supplier from Telmore to 3 – to this setup. and we are very pleased with it.

1. MiFi from 3. No roaming charges in most of Europe, USA and Australia and other countries. Can buy 12Gb sims that last for 12 months from Amazon and eBay.
2. iBoost from http://www.motorhomewifi.com/. Used to tap into free campsite WiFi and allow multiple devices to connect. Also if you are a BT Broadband customer or a Fon member then you have access to the free Fon system which is very common in France and other EU countries.

If there is poor Mobile signal where you are then you may be dependant on the Fon system or campsite WiFi which use landlines for their broadband connection.

This works for me.
No roaming charges? Wow! I like that. But I have heard that these are to be abolished soon anyway.....is that right?

No roaming charges? Wow! I like that. But I have heard that these are to be abolished soon anyway.....is that right?

The setup is similar to ours - same provider. "Roam Like Home" means no additional charges in selected countries. The last new I heard, is that more and more providers move that way. But here 3 is leading so far.

Brexit rumours, but USA, Australia and other non-EU countries aren't in the EU.;)

Brexit rumours, but USA, Australia and other non-EU countries aren't in the EU.;)
You are right WG but my interest is really only about Europe (outside UK) - selfish I know! but trying to stay focused ;)

You are right WG but my interest is really only about Europe (outside UK) - selfish I know! but trying to stay focused ;)
Personally I cannot see it happening.

Back