Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beware approaching Calais

BeachyBird

BeachyBird

Vehicle
T5 Beach
Hi.... just a cautionary note to those traveling back towards Calais. Yesterday we stopped for fuel about 50miles before Calais, Hubby went into pay i stayed in passenger seat. I heard a sound like boot opening looked in wing mirror and saw an elbow, jumped out to find three immigrants bent down at back i shouted at them ***** as hubby rushed out, as lady in services had shouted immigrants getting in yellow car. They ran off no harm done or damage but lesson learnt always lock all doors even if someone is sitting inside.
Ps they would of had a job to get a sixpence in our back never mind 3 bodies.

Pretty scary! Thanks for tip off.

I've heard these stories second hand before but not from someone it has actually happened to. Glad that was no harm done. We'll certainly heed your advice when out there later in the year.

Well, I feel guilty for not writing a post up myself sooner now.

I was coming back from Northern France last weekend on the A25, on my own in the Cali, and I stopped with the intention of stretching my legs grabbing a drink and some munchies (fortunately I didn't need fuel). I think it was the Aire de Steenvoorde I'd stopped at. Anyway, I was just opening my door preparing to get out when I saw about a dozen men loitering in the neighbouring field beyond the hedgeline about 30 metres from the parking bay, furtively glancing at me.

I didn't need to look twice. I closed the door, gunned the van and took the f*** off. I looked over as I left and they'd already started to move off and look for another target.

Horrible feeling.

Thank you both for reminding everybody to keep that bit more watchful. It's well worth remembering.

I didn't need to see that many tele news items of immigrant/ refugee problems at Calais to decide on other ports of entry/exit to/from France. This year and last year Portsmouth to Santander and Dieppe to Newhaven return. Will never use Calais whilst this refugee crisis continues the way it is.
Hi.... just a cautionary note to those traveling back towards Calais. Yesterday we stopped for fuel about 50miles before Calais, Hubby went into pay i stayed in passenger seat. I heard a sound like boot opening looked in wing mirror and saw an elbow, jumped out to find three immigrants bent down at back i shouted at them ***** as hubby rushed out, as lady in services had shouted immigrants getting in yellow car. They ran off no harm done or damage but lesson learnt always lock all doors even if someone is sitting inside.
need

Eurotunnel has been problem free (except for typical operator delays) IME for all the crossings we've made both before and presently during the 'refugee crisis', last one via Calais a week ago. Desperate people do desperate things as would many of us in their situation I'm sure. Having crossed war zones and open sea trying to hop into the back of an unlocked vehicle is water off a duck's back!

Eurotunnel has been problem free (except for typical operator delays) IME for all the crossings we've made both before and presently during the 'refugee crisis', last one via Calais a week ago. Desperate people do desperate things as would many of us in their situation I'm sure. Having crossed war zones and open sea trying to hop into the back of an unlocked vehicle is water off a duck's back!

I understand they are desperate to leave a war torn country but they are safe in France !!!

I travelled back through Calais three years ago with some friends who were towing a caravan. At the time I was in an estate car towing a small trailer. We’d all been camping in Annecy and were on our way home back to Kent.

Fortunately the kids were asleep in the back of the car, because as we approached Calais there were armed police everywhere, refugees running in and out of all the cars (we were in slow moving traffic heading towards the ferry port), and I saw some trying to get in my friends caravan, whilst it was moving!! There was a lot of noise and shouting, and many of the refugees had large sticks in their hands.

I immediately locked all the doors and thankfully we got through unscathed. I can't imagine what it must be like for these refugees, truly desperate times.

However, I’m not easily shaken but I have to admit to being pretty terrified, it felt like driving through a war zone, I’ve never been so happy to see the kids sleeping through something!

I have to say that I shall not be visiting Calais any time soon....:(

We went through Calais in Feb half term. On the way out we drove off the Euro shuttle and onto the auto route, experienced and saw no problems. On the way home we stayed in Calais for a night again we experienced and saw no problems. It was a flying visit to Calais but we thought it looked nice and will go back for longer soon.

Last edited:
Came back through Calais yesterday and had no problems but the security is very tight, and slow, French soldiers checking almost every car boot and certainly every van/ Campervan! And then again by the Brits after Passport control.

Allow plenty of time. We arrived 1 hour before sailing which is normally plenty but we only just managed to board. Last one on, closing the doors behind us.

It's a shame to see the port so heavily fortified, but the new fence appears to be doing its job.

Had a great break in Montreuil Sur Mer by the way, and a couple of nice lunches in choice spots in the van.

Just to clarify, Eurotunnel was fine as were the approaches. It was busy but I came back at a busy time.

I would just recommend extra vigilance when stopping at Aires on the route to Calais.

I was surprised at the lack of security at Eurotunnel (a week ago). As ever it has many advantages over the ferries not least a 'never leave the autoroute' approach route but there were no soldiers or even armed police, no searches of vehicles we saw, no swabbing steering wheels - just the usual brief wave through.

The last aire we stopped at - about 45 mins from ET there were a couple of apparent migrants 'hanging around' who tried to cross the autoroute and were very politely told to go back away from the road by a couple of friendly Gendarmes.

I had someone approach me some 15 years back actually in the Calais port and said he wanted pay me to get into my boot !!! I told him to bug off and then reported it to the Police at the Calais port & subsequently locked myself in my vehicle, not daring to go even to have a coffee at the terminal... It was an unnerving experience. What surprised me was that he seemed very passé as he just seemed wander to the next car to ask them the same question. You can never fit anything in our Cali when we travel anyway, but I always check my boot and under the car before ever getting onto Ferry - it's just force of habit now...

Sorry to hear that you had a fright. I've used Eurotunnel loads of times & never had a problem with migrants.

Only issues have been with [business as usual] service delays. Last September I was booked to travel on the day that the Calais locals decided to block the whole port. I wrote my ticket off and sailed back from Zeebruge to Hull. Eurotunnel gave me a freebie when I moaned.

Back