Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beware - Gassings in France

".... a caravan and truck stop....."

More reports of people being gassed and robbed in France, be careful when you pitch for the night

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co....randsons-gloucester-gassed-robbed-1571524.amp

Any one who can fill motorhome with the exact correct dose of anaesthetic gas to knock out 3 different people without killing them has to be up there with the best anaesthetists.

To do it with no training & without presumably even knowing how many people are in the van makes it even more amazing.

Even better is that it was done via the vents - every vent I've seen on the side of a motor home goes through to a sealed chamber at the back of either the fridge or boiler - the idea being they provide the air to mix with the gas appliance for combustion, without letting the resulting fumes into the van interior.

Better still, looking at the van, is how some are sleeping high up & some low down yet the gas has obviously distributed itself evenly through the van.

The robbers could save the NHS millions - no need to train anaesthetists, why bother even weighing patients, hooking patients up to monitors etc when this crowd can do it, sounds like they could just lob a canister of their gas into a hospital waiting room & get perfect results.

On the other hand, perhaps the celebrations due to the 30th birthday could account for the deep sleep, feeling sick in the morning etc etc

It’s the Russians. They’ve caused all this rain too.;)

(Seem to have seen this on here before.)

“He had to really shout to wake us up. Ben was sick straight away and we all had a dry mouth and a nasty taste in our mouth when we woke up. Other people need to be aware that this sort of thing is happening.”

God, exactly the same thing happened to me on our last trip. I'd gone to bed 'quite late' and when Mrs VD shook me awake at 5 am - she said I was snoring - I had a headache, a mouth like a vulture's crutch and I threw up into the Thetford. When I got home I researched it on the internet and apparently it's quite common.

Been a while since we’ve had the comedy gassing post.

Note to WG. Don’t rise to the bait. It not worth it. :cheers

Didn't have any problems being gassed in Scotland but the single malts were a bit of a problem.

No one seems to consider that the thieves are just well practiced and do it quietly.

Oh ....

I nearly said "WTF" but being a Lady resisted...

Really? Gassed with what? No one died, one had a headache and dry mouth, so do I after a party.

Really. What evidence for gassing?Where is the haematology an toxicology reports?

I'm in a small camper, about a third of cm of their van, seriously, if someone was going to bang around putting a pipe up to an inlet... WHERE???? ..... I would be wide awake, me on my own, an old lush just emptied the wine bottle, I sleep on pins if I am in an Aire....

No.

It does not add up. My attack alarm will be shrieking within seconds....

Funny how no one has mentioned how the thief actually got in - unless this magic gas unlocks the door of course.
So they left the van unlocked, have no police investigation/involvement/report no evidence of said gas being used and yet this newspaper prints the whole story with glossy photos.
Quiet news day in Gloucestershire

Every Spring/Summer the gassing story appears.
Impossible in a California, it’s not exactly airtight with the roof popped. Luckily for the roof topper manufacturers ;)

Where are the Mythbusters when you need them? or has it been done and videoed already?

I avoid gassings
Yes I have seen the written mythbusters from various sources. I would like the Mythbusters or someone to do a videoed or documentary on it once and for all.

Now we just need some volunteers. Hands up anyone ;-)

I avoid gassing myself in the camper van by not cooking baked beans, or any egg based dishes when camping.

I would actually be quite willing to film something about this, but I wouldn't know where to start. Its a great idea!

We have slept in aires, truckstops, service areas, etc, etc in France and never had a problem over the last 12 yrs.

On a more serious note, could a carbon dioxide monoxide detector prevent this? Or is there any specific device to stop this?

On a more serious note, could a carbon dioxide monoxide detector prevent this? Or is there any specific device to stop this?

Yes! - A little common sense and not believeing everything you are told, specially without researching the million and one times this story has been totally discredited.

Back