Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Beware Of Comfort Insurance's exclusion for part time workers.

AndyVits

AndyVits

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
This afternoon I was following up on a previous Comfort quote in order to finalise our insurance prior to collecting our first California. Whilst speaking to Comfort Insurance, they asked if my wife (who is an NHS nurse) was full time or part-time, I explained that she was part-time. Despite having a clean license and insurance history I was informed that as a part-time worker my wife would not be able to drive it to and from work!! This is totally impractical and unworkable as the van will be used by both of us.

Epic fail Comfort, onwards to the next insurers who may not see a part-time nurse (or indeed any part-time worker) as an insurance liability.

Another underwriting quirk to watch out for is if you use your vehicle for any kind of voluntary activity such as attending charity meetings or anything else like that. Insurers have in the past sometimes classed that as 'business' use, despite it being unpaid.

Fortunately the ABI now has a scheme which a lot of the bigger insurers have signed up to, which enables you to do voluntary work under your normal social, domestic and pleasure cover. BUT some of those insurers (including some big ones like Direct Line) require that you inform them first. So one to look out for, even if you just do occasional voluntary stuff.

Here's the list of insurers on the scheme:
https://www.abi.org.uk/globalassets...driving---the-motor-insurance-commitment2.pdf

How do Comfort define part time? anything less than a 40 hour week? or is it less than a five day week? Isn't part time really full time with a lot of unpaid holiday?

How do Comfort define part time? anything less than a 40 hour week? or is it less than a five day week? Isn't part time really full time with a lot of unpaid holiday?
I asked them and lady said less than 35 hrs.

Back