Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bf Goodrich all terrain tyres

Kingpopsy

Kingpopsy

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi
I'm after some bf Goodrich all terrain tyres 235 55 R17, but all the sites I go on don't seem to let me select that size. Any ideas how I can get them and are they going to be right for my ocean?

Go to a tyre dealer and ask for some expert advice google is always helpful but people that have first hand advice is always a better option mat at t5 upgrades fits them all the time or transporter hq

BFGoodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 will fit at 225/65R17, it is 4,93% bigger than the original tyre fitted (235/55R17). In Denmark the legal limit is 5%, so it is slightly under. The 215/65R16 is only 0,64% smaller and will be a more proper fit (circumstance, speed reading, handling, etc). Personally I would go for smaller rims and more tyre on a off-road setup – but depends on your disc brake size … Anyway, be sure to get the KO2 …

Can I ask why you are considering such tyres?

They offer good grip in muddy, wet fields, good grip on tracks. Good in deep snow.
They are a strong tyre and resist damage and punctures.
Look good if you are going for the swamper look.
Unfortunately they can be noisy and most at our size are not speed rated if you care about such things and not as good as a dedicated winter tyre.

Unfortunately they can be noisy and most at our size are not speed rated if you care about such things and not as good as a dedicated winter tyre
That's why I was asking, as the OP is quite new I think. It you look at the fuel rating, stopping distances and noise ratings for them, you wouldn't choose them over Cross Climates (for eg) unless you had something special planned or were desperate for the 'look'.

That's why I was asking, as the OP is quite new I think. It you look at the fuel rating, stopping distances and noise ratings for them, you wouldn't choose them over Cross Climates (for eg) unless you had something special planned or were desperate for the 'look'.
Even something special planned , on a FWD vehicle, I think the disadvantages would out weigh any traction advantage on just 2 driving wheels.

No, it's 2 wd

And as above - that's why I asked - why do you want four off road (OK all-terrain but compared to road) tyres on a 2WD camper van - apart from the 'look' they will be a disadvantage in virtually all areas - noise, wear, safety, road grip, fuel consumption.

I've never got stuck on a campsite with a mixture of six different 2WD (front or rear) VW campers over many years.

I've got mud tyres - but on my old Disco as I go off-roading in that!

I would never take a Cali 'off-road' as it would shake to bits on anything requiring AT or MT tyres. And if you really wanted to then you'd want a 4WD version.

Much better to stick with road tyres and learn to read the terrain and use judgement as to where to take it - much better to think first "Can I 100% get out of there if I drive onto/into it?" and let discretion be the better part of valour and find another spot if in doubt.

The guys on bus and beyond have recently uploaded a YouTube video on the subject....

Hmm, not for me - maybe on a nice solid paint (especially orange, yellow), with grey bumpers and black steels and 4WD, similar to the Rockton... ;)

volkswagen-transporter-rockton-4motion-occasion-meilleur-de-of-volkswagen-transporter-rockton-4motion-occasion-2.jpg

Yeah, these guys have fitted them to their ocean.
Where I added the following details:
For anyone interested in facts, the BF Goodrich’s fitted here are rated F for Fuel economy, B for wet grip, and 74db for noise. The Continentals factory fitted to my similar T6 California are B for fuel, A for wet grip and 72db for noise. The following explains what the difference is likely to mean in real life https://www.blackcircles.com/general/tyre-labelling/tyre-label. It shows the highest rating is A, the worse G. Going from A to G (the best to worse) uses 7.5% more fuel, increases wet breaking distances by 18m, and increases noise by 6db which they claim is 4x the noise (I’m not familiar with the science).

The OP will note a trend here. The forum tends to split into two on such debates. Some of think this is an example of the most dumb ass thing you could do to your new van, the others think they look great so it's a great idea. Like Beach vs Ocean, only you can decide.

Oh also if you go taller, you may push your van over 2m.... It sounds drastic but there seems some variation in heights (or at least our ability to measure our vans). I guess the guys who build car parks have the same difficulties so you want to stay as low as possible

More for the look. We do a lot of trail running which requires us to park in some interesting places.

Like 2into1 I don't get it either - especially the post you made above which seems to say you are buying them for the look.

But then suggests you have them to aid in traction (?) at trail running places?

Or did I read it wrong and other fell runners will laugh at you if you turn up with 'road' tyres while they smugly grin from within their pseudo '4WD' lifestyle SUV's? ;)

Off roady tyres might (?) look good but that's about it!

They will kill fuel consumption, annoy the hell out of you on the motorways and when you combine the hard compound, squishy blocky tread with cold cr@ppy, greasy, leafy winter UK roads probably conspire to help you 'lose it' on a nasty bend...*

* I speak from the (bitter) experience of running utility Landies for 25 years on mud terrains.

Oh also if you go taller, you may push your van over 2m.... It sounds drastic but there seems some variation in heights (or at least our ability to measure our vans). I guess the guys who build car parks have the same difficulties so you want to stay as low as possible
This video is quite interesting on car park height. (hope the link comes out)

Like 2into1 I don't get it either - especially the post you made above which seems to say you are buying them for the look.

But then suggests you have them to aid in traction (?) at trail running places?

Or did I read it wrong and other fell runners will laugh at you if you turn up with 'road' tyres while they smugly grin from within their pseudo '4WD' lifestyle SUV's? ;)

Off roady tyres might (?) look good but that's about it!

They will kill fuel consumption, annoy the hell out of you on the motorways and when you combine the hard compound, squishy blocky tread with cold cr@ppy, greasy, leafy winter UK roads probably conspire to help you 'lose it' on a nasty bend...*

* I speak from the (bitter) experience of running utility Landies for 25 years on mud terrains.
Most of the people I run with have vans, the ground is mostly in woodland or forestry commission land. All very down to earth. I've weighed up the pros and cons and am probably going to give it a crack. This is why I enjoy forums, you get diverse opinions.

Probably very wise! Do what makes you happy is the best thing regardless of what us lot opinionate. ;)

Most of the people I run with have vans, the ground is mostly in woodland or forestry commission land. All very down to earth. I've weighed up the pros and cons and am probably going to give it a crack. This is why I enjoy forums, you get diverse opinions.

Would be really interested to hear how you get on Kingpopsy as I’m considering Bfgs as well to replace my winter tyres . Have just driven to Nordkapp on some interesting roads and really felt the van needed more rubber . . Our roads not much better and then there are the speed humps and potholes .

Last edited:
Back