Best VW California Dedicated Forum by Miles :)

1. NEXT CLUB MEETS
    Devon Afternoon Meet 23rd March ** This weekend ** Details Here
    Derbyshire Afternoon Meet - 30th March Details Here
    Gloucester Weekend Meet - 17-19 May Details Here

Dismiss Notice

Bike Carrier - Improvements possible?

Discussion in 'Bike Racks' started by Tarquers, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Tarquers

Tarquers VIP Member

Transmission:
    Auto
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    First time out with a VW rack today that came with the van so the design dates from a few years ago.

Fixing two large full suspension mountain bikes on took much longer than expected, and the straps are a real pain to use.

Has anyone improved the fastenings to make fixing quicker? Thinking of the ratchets on the Thule roof bars I have. A big part of buying the van was to carry bikes, currently massively disappointed.

2. Louis II

Louis II

Transmission:
    Manual
    Vehicle:
    T5 SE 140
    Year:
    I had the same thoughts when I first got mine - normally 4 bikes 2 of which are full suspension mountain bikes. I looked around for different straps but didn't find anything suitable so would be interested to know if you do. I do find it gets easier every time though as the bars are already in the right place from last time. I just have to remember which bike went where and which way round. I also don't bother putting the straps through the little slots, just wrap them right round the gutter bit.

• I Like That! I Like That! x 1