Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Rack Choice

Hantshog

Hantshog

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I am just about to order a tow ball mounted bike rack and would welcome members comments. I have narrowed it to the Atera DL3, Buzzrack Buffalo or the MaxxRaxx premier.
he Atera has the advantage of giving full access to the rear, but I am keen to consider the Buzzrack which has a tilting mechanism though not sure if it tilts enough to allow opening of the tailgate on the van. Can anyone comment? Does the foot mech do much for access? The Maxxraxx looks quite compact. It would be a no brainer for the Atera except I was keen to be able to stow the rack in the boot once parked up and I think the DL3 is rather large for that. I have seen posts where the DL3 is fixed into the ground for security but I reaaly want to stow it. Both the Buzzrack and Maxxrazz fold and can be easily stowed in the boot. Thought process is that if the rack is stolen I would have difficulties unless of course its stolen with the bikes.
Any advice welcome.

Followed that thread. It reads like you need a Witter towball to enable the rack to clear the tailgate.

The only safe purchase seems to be the Atera Strada DL if you want to open the tailgate with bikes on or off the rack. The problem with the Cali is that the tailgate is vertical and goes halfway down into the bumper making a low and wide opening bottom arc.
Cars usually have sloping tailgates which have a much reduced opening arc .

Personally don't like the hang your bike on carriers as you need to secure the handlebars etc incase of damaging the Cali rear.

I have a Atera STRADA DL fitted to the VW factory fitted tow bar of our T6 beach with a 4th bike adapter. It works excellently. Easy to fit. Allows you to gain access to the boot easily. Very sturdy. When opening the boot the clearance is very tight though. It's better to have a bike with narrow handlebars right next to the boot.

I've the Thule EuroClassic G6 928 - 2x cycle carrier. It tilts enough, to allow the tailgate to open fully, even with bikes loaded. It's a bit smaller that the Atera, and I set it into my California Beach, when not is use no problem.

I originally purchased a Thule EasyFold however, whilst it was a great size for storing, it didn't tilt sufficiently without a hack (which is detailed in another post somewhere. )

Last edited:
Thanks BJG and James B 2016 for your replies. I understand the Atera is an excellent rack but I think its shortcoming is that it doesn't collapse that small. Whilst on holiday I have little room to stow the relatively large frame in the boot, therefore its at risk of being stolen left external to the van and if that happens I will have major issues in transporting the bikes. My intention is that once on a site and travelling out for the day I would not have the bike rack on the back, prefering to lock and leave bikes at the campsite. I am not sure many members have the Maxxraxx or the Buzzrack but I would like to hear from anyone with a worthy alternative to the Atera.

I have a Atera STRADA DL fitted to the VW factory fitted tow bar of our T6 beach with a 4th bike adapter. It works excellently. Easy to fit. Allows you to gain access to the boot easily. Very sturdy. When opening the boot the clearance is very tight though. It's better to have a bike with narrow handlebars right next to the boot.
Or turn the handlebars through 90 degrees.:thumb

CharliFornia, I read the link above. Do you have a factory fit removable tow ball? I ask cuz another guy on here has the Witter and I think maybe the Witter tow bar has slightly more clearance than the factory fitted tow bar. Looks like it folds up pretty small too.

Yes, factory fit towbar. I live in a flat, so the collapsed size was an important factor in my purchase.

Yes, factory fit towbar. I live in a flat, so the collapsed size was an important factor in my purchase.
In your original picture I assume you just removed the stops that control the tilt. Do you think it would be possible to modify the stops to allow it to clear the tailgate but prevent the bikes reaching the ground?

In your original picture I assume you just removed the stops that control the tilt. Do you think it would be possible to modify the stops to allow it to clear the tailgate but prevent the bikes reaching the ground?

I did think about shaving down the angle of the stops so that the bikes wouldn't touch the ground, in the end I thought it would be better to keep the stops intact for a later date.
Turned out to be a wise move as the tailgate clears the rack with only 20mm approx.
The only bit of the bike that touches the ground is the handlebar of the back bike.

Hope that helps.

Go for the Atera. Best decision I made buying that rack. Works brilliantly and folds flat when not in use. I usually store mine in the garage hanging off two 90 degree hangers.

Easy to lock onto towbar, takes about 10seconds to mount and the bikes feel solid on the rack.

It may cost more than other racks, but its superbly well built. I would even consider anything else.

Go for the Atera. Best decision I made buying that rack. Works brilliantly and folds flat when not in use. I usually store mine in the garage hanging off two 90 degree hangers.

Easy to lock onto towbar, takes about 10seconds to mount and the bikes feel solid on the rack.

It may cost more than other racks, but its superbly well built. I would even consider anything else.
Does the 2 bike version when tilted, give enough tailgate clearance or is it only the 3 bike version that is far enough back to clear?

Does the 2 bike version when tilted, give enough tailgate clearance or is it only the 3 bike version that is far enough back to clear?

I've read before the two doesn't slide as far as the 3.
Get the 3. We stick our 2 bikes on the outer positions and the tailgate opens fine.

Thanks for all your replies. I was reluctant to go for Atera due to the problem of storing whilst camping. But had no feedback on my preferred racks, can't take the risk so will do what nearly everyone else has done and go for the Atera.

Thanks for all your replies. I was reluctant to go for Atera due to the problem of storing whilst camping. But had no feedback on my preferred racks, can't take the risk so will do what nearly everyone else has done and go for the Atera.

I don't think you will be disappointed. To be honest mine stays on the entire trip, I don't see the point of removing.
Plus it's somewhere to lock the bikes to. Let's us know how you get on with it.