Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike Rack cover

MKRW

MKRW

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi All

I need a cover to go over the VW bike rack and 4 bikes.

does anyone have any recommendations where I can get something like this?

Thanks
Mark

Don't buy the Fiamma one Mark, that is what we had and no matter what we tried we could not secure it from flapping around. The problem with the standard Cali bike rack is the bikes sit too high and the wind will hit the cover. We gave up in the end and left the bikes to get wet.

I tried one from JustKampers... It was pointless, since it tore far to easily, and ended up shredded as well as coming away at the seams. (And I am careful about looking after things.. So it was clearly not up to the job intended)
Best I've seen are those for motorbikes, take a look at chainreactioncycles.com they have good ones from Oxford and also from Topeak

Looks like the material in the product in the link is pretty much standard tent nylon and will flap on a Vw rack. The Cali topper fabric is much heavier and I would hope flap free. Another product for there portfolio me thinks. They would need to make it zip round the edges as trying to pull a cover over bikes already on the rack will require very long arms. Sliding it in from one side then zipping round would also make getting it over the handle bars a doddle.
My only worry about bike covers is will it act as a massive spoiler and create loads if drag.

Hi Guys,
I’m reading this thread with interest and I’m sure it’s something we could produce.
If there’s anyone near me willing to pop in loaded up with there bikes :mrgreen: we could have a measure up!

We’re in Chesterfield 2 mins from Junc 29a of the M1.

Cheers
Nick

Hi Nick

I will be in nottingham next week. Whilst not concerned about bikes on the back with a cover whilst driving. The real reason for my request was to hide my new Cyclocross bike, as it was not cheep and I do not want it to disappear whilst camping over the easter hols trip....

So far looks like the flamma may be the only option......

Thanks
M

Hello,

I am looking for a bike cover for bikes on a genuine VW bike rack. Has anybody found any that fit with the top tube bars?

Many Thanks

Andy

Hello,

I am looking for a bike cover for bikes on a genuine VW bike rack. Has anybody found any that fit with the top tube bars?

Many Thanks

Andy
Halfords do one that will cover two or three bikes, it is £20. I have cut slits up the back so it will go over the bars of the rack. Obviously will only be using it to cover bikes when parked up.

I'm looking at getting a cover for our VW rack, we've just bought one along with 2 bikes.
I've seen quite a sturdy cover by Thule for 2-3 bikes but I've got no idea whether it will actually fit or whether the bigger 4 bike version would be needed due to the size of the rack. Also you can buy a warning sign that fits into the cover for an extra £35.
This has got me wondering whether there is a requirement for a warning sign if you don't have a cover, especially when in Europe?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I'm looking at getting a cover for our VW rack, we've just bought one along with 2 bikes.
I've seen quite a sturdy cover by Thule for 2-3 bikes but I've got no idea whether it will actually fit or whether the bigger 4 bike version would be needed due to the size of the rack. Also you can buy a warning sign that fits into the cover for an extra £35.
This has got me wondering whether there is a requirement for a warning sign if you don't have a cover, especially when in Europe?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
You need the warning sign with or without the cover AND with or without bikes on the rack in Italy and Spain.
Most covers are designed for Motorhome Racks which sit in the rear 'Dead Zone" on a Motorhome. The California doesn't have such a zone so if you get a cover it must be extremely well made and also be aware it will add extra drag force to the rear tailgate when travelling.

My new Thule cover: cutting holes in the back for the retaining bars! Am I mad.. cant see another solution.. even then how the hell do you hold / cover then clamp! what a performance

My new Thule cover: cutting holes in the back for the retaining bars! Am I mad.. cant see another solution.. even then how the hell do you hold / cover then clamp! what a performance
Exactly. Let us know how you get on.:thumb