Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack for GC 680

Moonlight Motel

Moonlight Motel

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi

I am new to the forum and new to camper vans. Our new GC 680 has arrived in Dublin port and we take delivery after Christmas - we cant wait. And then, assuming all is ok, we head to France in May for at least 5 months!!

But can I ask a quick question - has anyone fitted a bike rack to a 680 and what one did they use?

Thanks

John

Hi

I am new to the forum and new to camper vans. Our new GC 680 has arrived in Dublin port and we take delivery after Christmas - we cant wait. And then, assuming all is ok, we head to France in May for at least 5 months!!

But can I ask a quick question - has anyone fitted a bike rack to a 680 and what one did they use?

Thanks

John
Hi John,

welcome, a great van to travel distances and for time aboard.
VW do a bike rack for the GC however I went for the option of a tow bar and Thule bike rack.
Thule also do a dedicated door bike rack I think it’s the one supplied to VW I haven’t seen one but believe you have to be quite tall to get your bike off it. Also it’s glued to the door?

vw version

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-13 at 20.54.33.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-13 at 20.54.33.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 30
Thanks Breeze1, we couldnt get a tow bar as we need to keep the weight below 3500Kg for licence. I saw the Thule rack but wanted to make sure that I wasnt missing a better version

Thanks Breeze1, we couldnt get a tow bar as we need to keep the weight below 3500Kg for licence. I saw the Thule rack but wanted to make sure that I wasnt missing a better version
Hi John, sorry to question but your van is 3880kg unless its a 4motion then its a bit more.

Will

Will
The spec is different in Ireland and the C1 drivers limit is 3500Kg and VW try to keep the weight below this limit. We couldnt get the VW fitted bike rack as it put it over this limit.

Will
The spec is different in Ireland and the C1 drivers limit is 3500Kg and VW try to keep the weight below this limit. We couldnt get the VW fitted bike rack as it put it over this limit.
Interesting John, so your 680 is rated as 3500kg and not 3880kg as in the rest of europe ?

Will
Sorry to doubt you just checked your right rated at 3500kg and a payload of 256kg

I put my 680 on the scale, 190kg in payload, it's a 3500kg
Extra equipment:
All driving assistance
Secondary diesel heater
Removable trailer hook and a metal step on the side of it

The sad truth is you will have overweight, would take it as far as all vans has it, no matter of brand
(A disclaimer about ALL, meaning the one's who are factory motorhome vans)
My over weight is about 200kg+or- a bit, depending on the level in the water tanks and how much food I have onboard
And yes, I alway leave a place with full water and empty grey&black tanks
I live in the car
I have done all of Europe in 3 diffrent vw and never been put on the scale so I gamble on my luck will continue
Hope I didn't ruin your dreams...
Best
Per-Stefan

To answer your original question: we have fitted a Thule G2 rack to our 600 (same rear doors as 680). It bolts on rather than glues on, and has a maximum load rating of 35kg, which is more than enough to cart our pair of lightweight Specialized SL e-bikes. Look up the thread 'all racked up' if you want to see a pic. Best wishes for your bike rack solution.

Sorry to doubt you just checked your right rated at 3500kg and a payload of 256kg
If I remember correctly it should state only 2 seats on the log book & no rear seatbelts fitted?

If I remember correctly it should state only 2 seats on the log book & no rear seatbelts fitted?
Haven’t checked the log book - it is in Spain with the van, but there are no seat belts in the back. Definitely a two berth so no need to worry about having to invite guests

Ik heb mijn 680 op de weegschaal gezet, 190 kg aan laadvermogen, het is een 3500 kg
Extra uitrusting:
Alle rijhulp
Secundaire dieselkachel
Afneembare trekhaak en een metalen opstapje aan de zijkant

De trieste waarheid is dat je overgewicht zult hebben, net zo ver zou gaan als alle bestelwagens, controle het merk
(Een disclaimer over ALLEN, wat betekent dat zij fabriekscampers zijn)
Mijn overgewicht is ongeveer 200kg+of-een beetje, afhankelijk van het niveau in de watertanks en hoeveel voedsel ik aan boord heb
En ja, ik verlaat altijd een plek met vol water en lege grijszwarte tanks
Ik woon in de auto
Ik heb heel Europa gedaan in 3 verschillende vw's en ben nog nooit op de weegschaal gezet, dus ik gok op mijn geluk zal doorgaan
Ik hoop dat ik je dromen niet verpest heb...
Best
Per Stefan
M
Hoi

Ik ben nieuw op het forum en nieuw met campers. Onze nieuwe GC 680 is aangekomen in de haven van Dublin en we nemen de levering na Kerstmis in ontvangst - we kunnen niet wachten. En dan gaan we, ervan uitgaande dat alles in orde is, in mei naar Frankrijk voor minimaal 5 maanden!!

Maar mag ik een korte vraag stellen: heeft iemand een fietsenrek op een 680 gemonteerd en welke gebruikten ze?

Bedankt

John
Hoi

Ik ben nieuw op het forum en nieuw met campers. Onze nieuwe GC 680 is aangekomen in de haven van Dublin en we nemen de levering na Kerstmis in ontvangst - we kunnen niet wachten. En dan gaan we, ervan uitgaande dat alles in orde is, in mei naar Frankrijk voor minimaal 5 maanden!!

Maar mag ik een korte vraag stellen: heeft iemand een fietsenrek op een 680 gemonteerd en welke gebruikten ze?

Bedankt

John
Er is van Fiamma ook een drager achter op. Carry Bike, deze heeft meer laadvermogen en zit aan de scharnieren en is niet geplakt.

Back