Bike Rack for T6 - 2 Bikes

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I am looking for a two bike rack for a T6 - tail gate mounted retro fitted. Any recommendations?

Happy with our Fiamma Pro (T5 version) very stable with two road bikes good gaping between bikes so no interference

[ATTIMG_3464a.JPGACH=full]47034[/ATTACH]

Last edited:
The new T6 Fiamma pro.
We have one for our e-bikes.
View attachment 46968
Hi Loz, sorry to return to this topic but can I ask where you bought your Pro rack from. Having difficulty tracking one down in the midlands area. They talk about T5 version but not T6 (and I don't want to convert a T5 rack. Thanks in advance.

Errrm, no. The person who assembled it and put it on the van used superglue! It wasn’t me!!
Thanks for link.

Another vote here for the Fiamma Pro. The spacing of the rails means you still get a good view through the rear window when the rack isn't in use.

Capacity can be extended to 3 or 4 bikes by purchasing extra rails & the base that the rails fit to extends to suit.

We stock the Fiamma racks and it is also worth looking at the new Menabo rack

Always give us a call if you see anything cheaper

I am not that keen on putting anything onto the body of the van. Especially not something with a lot of weight.
I use my towbar bike carrier as I stay under 2m of height, and the tailgate can stay open, with the bikes on the carrier.

Fiamma Pro fitted today. If I am honest is was a bit of a faff to fit but kept at it and with a bit of advice from @Loz (Thanks again!) all is good. I now have a two bike rack that will be a lot kinder to my back! No more leaning over the four rack version from VW.
Here is the result.
Bike Rack1.JPG

Looks great JW! Any tips for fitting? Picking mine up tomorrow.

Looks great JW! Any tips for fitting? Picking mine up tomorrow.
The rack comes with instructions, four clear vinyl self adhesive strips as paint protectors and two rubber pads for the two top mountings.
The two rubber pads do not fit the top plastic mouldings. Recommend replace with 1mm sheet rubber (here is a good source: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00MTW4VRA/?tag=eliteelect-21 ) and cut to size, or carefully cut off the silly lips on either side of the pads and just use the now flat pads as per the instructions. Be careful not to damage your tailgate hinge paint during installation. The top brackets are tricky to fit - some lifting / thrutching etc will be needed. I suggest you wrap the lower brackets in a soft cloth so that they don't damage your tailgate during top bracket installation. A spare pair of hands was always on hand for me - I suggest you have this facility too!
OK to the bottom brackets. The clear vinyl strips will only provide limited protection for your tailgate paint so go easy if you go this way. If you go the 1mm rubber sheet route for the upper brackets then you will have some sheet left over - use this to wrap your lower brackets to provide a cushion before installing. You will need to be careful to align your lower brackets so they do not foul the light cluster when your tail gate closes. If you have a soft close tailgate be careful not to let this close before you are ready. Take your time. Don't start this job if you are in a hurry. You will regret it!
If the above is not making sense then PM me and I'll give you my phone number if you want to discuss the detail.
All the best.

The rack comes with instructions, four clear vinyl self adhesive strips as paint protectors and two rubber pads for the two top mountings.
The two rubber pads do not fit the top plastic mouldings. Recommend replace with 1mm sheet rubber (here is a good source: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rubber-Sheet-300mm-1mm-Thick/dp/B00MTW4VRA/ref=sr_1_6?adgrpid=52744647483&gclid=CjwKCAjwkenqBRBgEiwA-bZVtmCPYgkF1cjy_pngVVSo49WyFEUG9D9Y-8Aj3JFMjFjkNIYCeNvTmRoC7YgQAvD_BwE&hvadid=259069415713&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=1007192&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t3&hvqmt=e&hvrand=14527207962351674918&hvtargid=aud-612972976282:kwd-295051349206&hydadcr=28151_1724832&keywords=1mm+rubber+sheet&qid=1566214622&s=gateway&sr=8-6 ) and cut to size, or carefully cut off the silly lips on either side of the pads and just use the now flat pads as per the instructions. Be careful not to damage your tailgate hinge paint during installation. The top brackets are tricky to fit - some lifting / thrutching etc will be needed. I suggest you wrap the lower brackets in a soft cloth so that they don't damage your tailgate during top bracket installation. A spare pair of hands was always on hand for me - I suggest you have this facility too!
OK to the bottom brackets. The clear vinyl strips will only provide limited protection for your tailgate paint so go easy if you go this way. If you go the 1mm rubber sheet route for the upper brackets then you will have some sheet left over - use this to wrap your lower brackets to provide a cushion before installing. You will need to be careful to align your lower brackets so they do not foul the light cluster when your tail gate closes. If you have a soft close tailgate be careful not to let this close before you are ready. Take your time. Don't start this job if you are in a hurry. You will regret it!
If the above is not making sense then PM me and I'll give you my phone number if you want to discuss the detail.
All the best.

Brilliant, thank you so much! I’ve got some extra thick helicopter tape (rhino hide) I was going to cut to size to protect the paintwork under the 4 mounting points. Will see if that works as a substitute for the rubber otherwise will get some of the stuff you’ve suggested.

Thanks again, much appreciated.

Well, it’s on. A bit fiddly compared to my previous VW rack. I found the top mounts OK but did put helicopter tape on the tailgate underneath the whole top brackets anyway just in case anything could mark the paintwork.

On the bottom brackets, I used helicopter tape and some rubber strips I had in the garage to protect the paint from the chunky metal retainers. They are very close to the light clusters, probably not helped by the added protection.

I think the VW rack is slightly better quality overall, however, this is a great option for 2 bikes and if you want to leave on most of the time. If you remove the 2 bike brackets (which seem very nickable) when not carrying, you not only stop them rusting but have an almost completely clear view out of the rear window. I could hardly see a thing out of the back with the VW rack on!

We stock the Fiamma racks and it is also worth looking at the new Menabo rack

Always give us a call if you see anything cheaper
First post so gentle please!

I have just fitted the Menabo rack from the club shop. I can’t work how to log in and review it there, so thought I’d leave a comment here.

Rack will take 45kgs and I’m going to use it for 2 electric bikes. They fit on fine - I haven’t got a picture to hand of them on though! I think it looks tidier than the VW rack and seems of high quality.

I used what I think is generally referred to as helicopter tape under the top brackets and under the bracket that screws in under the number plate. The kit comes with shiny nuts to replace the standard number place screws and I didn’t like how they looked on my black letters, so I replaced them with black versions.

Only bit I wasn’t super happy with was the arms to hold the bikes - I think they are a bit fiddly and not as high quality as the rest of the rack. I have borrowed the arms from my Thule towbar rack and they fit fine as higher quality replacements.

4D85FAC1-661B-4AED-ADC4-E39CB10A9DE4.jpeg

8EE1EEB8-A182-4E44-9451-BDFA713A7A52.jpeg

Hi all,

Sorry if this has been asked before...Can anyone tell me how far the OEM T6 bike rack sticks out behind the vehicle when folded and not in use? Is it further than the tow bar?

Many thanks,

Alastair

There are 2 styles of VW rack for the T6. 7E0 071 104A or the so-called Kylie rack sticks out less than the newer style Quasi rack and does not extend beyond the towball. The most rearward point is the bottom cross bar which is 12cm from the bottom of the VW badge at its furthest point.

HTHA2541E7A-6D6F-4C1F-BE1B-7F17289ED628.jpeg

Sorry if this has been asked before...Can anyone tell me how far the OEM T6 bike rack sticks out behind the vehicle when folded and not in use? Is it further than the tow bar?
On a purely visual inspection it looks like the T6 bike rack sticks out 4 to 5" further than the detachable tow bar.

Thank you all - very helpful . Trying to work out if the van will still fit on the drive way. Got to love London parking.

Can anyone tell me the difference between the two T6 racks?
Thanks