Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Bike rack locks...

bxl_lad

bxl_lad

Its not easy being green...
Vehicle
T4 PopTop
Hi,
Anyone any ideas how to get the locks undone (without the key and without damaging!) From the factory original bike rack...
I have a key for the arms that hold the bikes, but this doesn't fit the locks on the mechanism that holds the rack to the van.
Having some work done in the van and need to remove the rack, but don't want to damage it...
Anyone managed this before?
Cheers
Matt

20180415_192403.jpg

20180415_192512.jpg

Hi,
Anyone any ideas how to get the locks undone (without the key and without damaging!) From the factory original bike rack...
I have a key for the arms that hold the bikes, but this doesn't fit the locks on the mechanism that holds the rack to the van.
Having some work done in the van and need to remove the rack, but don't want to damage it...
Anyone managed this before?
Cheers
Matt

View attachment 32102

View attachment 32103

Had exactly this problem when we got our Westy. My solution was to hacksaw the ‘knobs’ off and replace them with some fresh ones. Not locking in our case. You may be able to get genuine replacements if you ended up going down this route but will likely have to wait while they’re on back order. Or the ones on a T5 rack might work as a replacement assuming the thread was the same dimensions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bollocks. Just sat down after a days graft/bath. Now I’m going to have to go outside and try mine. Cheers guys!!!

........ok simples.

If it’s locked then the big black knob (ooh err) will just spin.

To loosen (remove bike rack) , pop the key in and turn clockwise half a turn. Remove key and the knob will now unscrew.

Invoice is in the post. :cheers

........ok simples.

If it’s locked then the big black knob (ooh err) will just spin.

To loosen (remove bike rack) , pop the key in and turn clockwise half a turn. Remove key and the knob will now unscrew.

Invoice is in the post. :cheers

Only if your key fits though(?). I think bxl_lad’s rack doesn’t have the same keys for both the locks that clamps the bikes and the ones securing it to the tailgate. Or does any old key work? Which obviously defeats the point of having them but there y’go.

Only if your key fits though(?). I think bxl_lad’s rack doesn’t have the same keys for both the locks that clamps the bikes and the ones securing it to the tailgate. Or does any old key work? Which obviously defeats the point of having them but there y’go.

Indeed... The key I have doesn't work (it fits the similar 'knobs' for the arms that grab the bikes, but not the two that secure the rack itself) - I had tried that ;)...

And unlike the arm locks that have a key reference on cylinder top, the ones i'm interested in don't - so no way of knowing which key to order... :headbang

So, looks like i'll have to resort to the option of breaking them off and searching a suitable replacement :(
Thanks though for the replies...

Incidentally, reason for removal is because the van's being spruced up - new paint on the way! Watch this space for the shiniest green T4 California on the lot and new decals to boot! :D

Sticking with Kermit green then?

Sticking with Kermit green then?

Of course :D

A total respray of another colour would be far too much work/expense - although toyed with the idea of making the top half white as seems to be trend for 2 tone now, but keeping it as original as possible, i think that's the best in the long run for maintaining its worth...

Actually on the whole the bodywork is in good shape, it was just when we bought it there were a couple of dodgy spots on the van and the dealer said he would take care of them - he did, but the resulting job done was awful, patchy and left parts of the van with an almost matt finish - when we collected the van it had been raining and by the time we got it home (from Stuttgart) to Belgium and I gave it the first wash, it was only then apparent how bad it was... Needless to say we withheld some of the payment for the privilege :stop

Anyway, two years on its time to put it right and remove that niggle that's been bothering me all along ;)

Will be gone for a couple of weeks... The Frog will live on!! :D

Ah yes, the old Knebelmutter.

Good find.

I plan to take mine off and have it powder coated in black, one day.

Ah yes, the old Knebelmutter.

Good find.

I plan to take mine off and have it powder coated in black, one day.

Dam you and your fine ideas...:mad: Now i have to think about that too (I'm already considering painting the awning case from white to black...) :confused:

Is there a number on the lock ? If so you might be able to get a replacement key.

Is there a number on the lock ? If so you might be able to get a replacement key.

sadly not, that would have made it far too easy... There is a reference on the one on the arm that holds the bike, but no reference on the ones for holding the rack - and sods law they're not the same... :headbang

Of course :D

A total respray of another colour would be far too much work/expense - although toyed with the idea of making the top half white as seems to be trend for 2 tone now, but keeping it as original as possible, i think that's the best in the long run for maintaining its worth...

Actually on the whole the bodywork is in good shape, it was just when we bought it there were a couple of dodgy spots on the van and the dealer said he would take care of them - he did, but the resulting job done was awful, patchy and left parts of the van with an almost matt finish - when we collected the van it had been raining and by the time we got it home (from Stuttgart) to Belgium and I gave it the first wash, it was only then apparent how bad it was... Needless to say we withheld some of the payment for the privilege :stop

Anyway, two years on its time to put it right and remove that niggle that's been bothering me all along ;)

Will be gone for a couple of weeks... The Frog will live on!! :D

No going back now... :confused:

20180427_152145.jpg

Rockin the rat look then?

I think the t4 looks awesome. love it

I don't know how far you have got with replacing the knobs but some of the part numbers in the list that you have linked are current for the T6. Any chance VW may be able to supply them cheaper and quicker?

Rat look?

f7ebcb1dc312fa9626f87994b859b3f8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any T4 Guru's recognise this rack which came with my new T4. I was expecting it to be a Fiamma or the original Westy rack (Thule?) but it seems an in-between! Nice Westy logo and infill piece between 2 of the 3 rails.
20180513_193059.jpg 20180513_193016.jpg